What do people know of the Milan Synod

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Joe Zollars

What do people know of the Milan Synod

Post by Joe Zollars »

I was just surfing the net looking for Western Rite Orthodox webpages. Besides the obvious abundance of Antiochan websites, I was surprised to come upon this website: http://www.odox.net

They claim to be part of a group called the Milan Synod. I was just wondering what, if anything people knew about this group.

Joe Zollars

Natasha
Sr Member

RE:

Post by Natasha »

Maybe you will find this helpful....

"The Holy Synod of Milan is the Diocese for Western Europe of that Old Calendarist Greek Orthodox Church which (after receiving a Hierarchy with the aid of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia) was united under Archbishops Akakios and Auxentios. This Diocese was granted a Tomos of Autonomy in 1984 from Archbishop Auxentios in order to pursue missionary work among the non-Orthodox people of the West. The title of the Synod at this time was the Metropolia of Western Europe. After the transference of its first Chief Hierarch, Metropolitan Gabriel of Portugal, to the Autocephalous Church of Poland, Bishop Evloghios of Milan was chosen as second Chief Hierarch. Ten years later, Metropolitan Evloghios remains at the helm of the Holy Synod of Bishops. The Milan Synod uses the Julian calendar exclusively, and firmly resists the heresies of false ecumenism and trans-religious syncretism."

"Within "the Americas" there are two dioceses and exarchates. The Western Diocese, at present, has parishes, missions, a monastery and hermitage in places like Austin, San Antonio, Dallas (Texas) and Siloam Springs (Arkansas). The Holy Orthodox Monastery of St. Hilarion in Austin, Texas is the location from which His Eminence Archbishop +Hilarion of Austin & all-Texas presides over his flock and is the Exarch for South America..

The Eastern Diocese, at present, has parishes, missions, hermitage and a monastery in places as Jacksonville (Florida), Atlantic City, South Orange, West Milford (New Jersey), Tyrone (Pa.), New York City, Woodstock, Honeoye Falls and Syracuse (New York). The Orthodox Abbey of the Holy Name in W. Milford, N.J. is home to His Eminence Archbishop +John of New York & New Jersey. His Eminence is also the Exarch Bishop to Canada where there is a mission in Ontario."

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I believe Anastasios' spiritual father is a member of that group. I use to live in Altoona (within walking distance of them actually), where they have at least one church, and possibly two. I talked to a Priest from their synod on the phone once and he seemed pretty lost. He had never heard of ROCOR. shrugs

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Friends,

I don't know a lot about the Milan Synod but Paradosis is right, my spiritual father is a bishop in that Church (long story....!)

They did participate in the consecration of Arch. Chrysostomos of Etna who is now in union with your Church so they have to have "something" legitimate, however, they also do tend to attract fringe elements.

I am currently "investigating" why they broke communion with the Kievan Patriarchate.

An interesting factoid is they claim that they are the ones who consecrated Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, and that when the above-mentioned break in communion occured, Lazar went with the KP.

anastasios