Very Important Poll Question for All Posters!

Should Baptismal or legal names be required for everyone?

Poll ended at Fri 30 September 2005 7:22 pm

Absolutely. Either the name or a derivative of the Baptismal/legal name.

36%

Absolutely. But not nick-names (i.e. Tom should be Thomas) please!

15%

No way! I do not want people knowing my Baptismal/Legal name, or what religion I am!

26%

I have no opinion.

23%

Total votes: 53

Ebor

Post by Ebor »

Deacon Nikolai wrote:

Sure thing, it had been requested by a number of members and wedecided to run a poll to let the posters themselves do the deciding.

Thank you. May I ask if there were any reasons given as to why this was desired, please? I can understand being clear about what Church one is a member of when posting on a religious forum.

Ebor

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

I can see no indication of why this change has been proposed and the Cafe has been running now for some considerable time; therefore without any clear advantage or reason offered for change I really must respectfully question, why change things at all?

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

.......and I can see nothing wrong with Tom or similar as a user name. Indeed some good people as I recall have found the process of getting a user name accepted once round trial enough!

Ebor

Post by Ebor »

Gphadraig! It's good to see your writing again. I had been wondering how you were.

Ebor

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

Thank you, Ebor. Too busy, Sorrrr, I am. Just responded to the mass call and could not fathom the need or the purpose. Hope you are keeping well. Regards

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

I voted for full baptismal or legal first name. It is my preference. However, it is an issue that does not give me great concern one way or the other.

What danger is there in showing who you are in this limited way? That kind of concern I do not see. It is not like we are volunteering our last names or social security numbers.

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

Christos

Baptismal Name

Post by Christos »

Natasha wrote:

I thought that as Orthodox Christians we are always supposed to use our baptismal names....maybe I am missing something?

Natasha (baptized as Natasha, not Natalia, at the request of my mother)

I aggree with Natasha. Christians have to use their Baptismal* Names.
By coinsidence I had a relative discussion on Beliefnet Eastern Orthodox about the Name issue* few days ago.
If someone's Name has been already "taken" by an other user a Surname may be choosen eg. Christos_the_Greek or Christos_Vatopedinos etc so that privasy can be retained.

Obviously you cannot check if the members declaire their real names but this has to be requested by the forum and be left to the good will of the members.

*http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgi ... aptism.asp
**http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/boards_ ... ategory=51
***http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message ... nID=450116

Christos