Very Important Poll Question for All Posters!

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Should Baptismal or legal names be required for everyone?

Poll ended at Fri 30 September 2005 7:22 pm

Absolutely. Either the name or a derivative of the Baptismal/legal name.

36%

Absolutely. But not nick-names (i.e. Tom should be Thomas) please!

15%

No way! I do not want people knowing my Baptismal/Legal name, or what religion I am!

26%

I have no opinion.

23%

Total votes: 53

SouthernOrthodox

Post by SouthernOrthodox »

Katina has a good point. The question I would have, would it be the English version of the name or the Russian (Slavonic) version. I also agree to include jurisdiction, since the air of unification is so apparent these days, may help and of course still welcoming our by-way Protestant friends.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

I thought that as Orthodox Christians we are always supposed to use our baptismal names....maybe I am missing something?

Natasha (baptized as Natasha, not Natalia, at the request of my mother)

jstuck52

Poll re Baptismal names

Post by jstuck52 »

I have no opinon. I tend to shy away from legalism; however, I know that traditionally we are to use our Baptismal names. Fortunately, even though I am a convert, I was named Judith at birth which I chose to keep for my Baptismal name. However, my daughter is Rebekah at birth and she chose to be Sarah for a Baptismal name. Both are saints' names. She goes by both in general. But, of course, she is Sarah for all sacraments.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

SouthernOrthodox wrote:

Katina has a good point. The question I would have, would it be the English version of the name or the Russian (Slavonic) version.

Russian??!!!!! If anything it should be Greek!

All other Orthodox churches are simply the children of the True Church - The Greek Orthodox Church.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Well

Post by Jean-Serge »

Well I am already using my baptismal name. However we must not forget that in the Orthodox world everybody knows everybody... And sometimes people do not nare say what they think even if this is right) because of the bishop, because of the priest etc... The anonymate is a guarantee to the freedom of speech...

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

SouthernOrthodox

Post by SouthernOrthodox »

TomS wrote:
SouthernOrthodox wrote:

Katina has a good point. The question I would have, would it be the English version of the name or the Russian (Slavonic) version.

All other Orthodox churches are simply the children of the True Church - The Greek Orthodox Church.

My good friend TomS, I think you have fallen off that ladder, one to many times.

Ekaterina
Protoposter

Post by Ekaterina »

TomS wrote:
SouthernOrthodox wrote:

My good friend TomS, I think you have fallen off that ladder, one to many times.

:mrgreen: :D :) :mrgreen:

On a more serious note: You can require a "Christian" or "Saints" name all you want.....it's no guarantee that people will use their "real" name. There are many reasons not too, all stated above. The Orthodox world is small enough that many of us "know" each other anyway.

Katya

P.S. who knows maybe quite a few of you even know me 8)