Need advice about Marriage

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I would agree with Milla here. In fact, though this may be too extreme for some to go along with, I think it's a good idea to think of this as your "only shot". If you approach marriage from the standpoint of this being the only chance you get, you'll probably be more careful and cautious. Above all, as Milla said don't base marriage primarily on being "in love". There is a chemical reaction that takes place in the body when you are "in love," thus the reason that it feels so wonderful. But this does not always happen (dry periods), nor does it always continue forever ("falling out of love"). I think the idea that "love" is a new concept and was essentially invented only a few hundred years ago by writers is not really accurate, but whatever the case, it wasn't until recently that "love" itself, for normal people, was considered a good enough reason to get married. We are at the point in society-- materially, socially, psychologically, etc.--where we can essentially pick and choose based on reasons that are not always the best, and without much thought about the consequences 5 or 10 years from now.

Anyway, I hope my last post and this one do not come off as having a negative view of marriage. In the past I have made posts in just the opposite tone, making marriage seem like one of the most wonderful things in the world (because it can be). But I think it's important to be realistic when you are thinking about marriage, and not optimistic. Optimism is for after the wedding--because it will help get you through the days, weeks, months, years, and decades of dry spots, arguments, bad meat loaf, smelly undone laundry, hair in the tub, toilet seat up again, etc. :)

Nektarios
Jr Member

Post by Nektarios »

I have a question, my fiance thinks that its the womens job
in the marriage to compleltey satisfiy the man and what the
wife wants doesnt matter I know thats not true but what would
you say to her about that?

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

I have a question, my fiance thinks that its the womens job
in the marriage to compleltey satisfiy the man and what the

It is true. She should do everything for you as the Church strive to do for Christ. And it is also true that you should care for her as Christ cares for the church.

ania

Post by ania »

Nektarios wrote:

I have a question, my fiance thinks that its the womens job in the marriage to compleltey satisfiy the man and what the

I'd just say your one lucky guy. :wink: Just appreciate her willingness to give, and don't start resenting her if all of a sudden she does decide that what she thinks matters.

OOD,
If Christ didn't take into consideration what his bride, the Church, wanted, he wouldn't answer prayers.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

In responce to Nektarios I would also like to add that you need to be sure you discuss all these questions with your priest, he's the best one to give you advice on these topics, probably better than anyone else can here on the list, with that said, I'd like to echo what OOD had stated in reply to your question about what your fiance' thinks. Also, FWIW I agree with what Justin Kissel suggested as well in a couple earlier posts. Not just because I'm biased and he's my husband either...but I think he's hit the nail on the head so to speak. :) Pray pray pray :) Please speak to your priest

In Christ,
Mary Kissel

Nektarios
Jr Member

Post by Nektarios »

Thanks for your help guys, I talked to my priest about this the other
day, me and my girl friend met with my priest, he said he would marry
us when I got back from deployment some time, if every thing was still good. I picked out the ring I am going to get here. What do you guys think?

http://www.zales.com/catalog/ProductDet ... 1&gnFlag=1

In Christ
Nektarios

jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

Post by jacqueline »

The link didn't work
but it is good to see that things are going well :)