Who Was Your Favorite 4th Century Saint?

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Who was your favorite saint of the 4th century?

Alexander of Alexandria

No votes

Athanasius of Alexandria

10%

Cyril of Jerusalem

No votes

Ambrose of Milan

5%

Methodius of Antioch

No votes

Basil of Caesarea

24%

Gregory the Theologian

10%

John Chrysostom

29%

Gregory of Nyssa

No votes

Ephraim the Syrian

19%

Emperor Constantine

5%

Emperor Theodosius

No votes

Total votes: 21

Justin Kissel

Who Was Your Favorite 4th Century Saint?

Post by Justin Kissel »

I know I'm giong to end up leaving people off the list, but I'll put as complete a list as I can up. If you could, please comment on why you chose who you chose.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I chose St. Gregory the Theologian because I think he's one of the most well-rounded saints in the history of the Church. I can't think of a saint in our Church (except maybe St. Photius) who matched St. Gregory's intellectual and rhetorical capabilities, and St. Gregory--while not the most austere man around--was no slouch when it came to ascetics either, as he lived his entire life in true monastic fashion (even when surrounded by people). Something else that really makes St. Gregory striking is how autobiographical and open he could get in his poetry. And it isn't bad poetry either. :)

George Australia
Sr Member

Post by George Australia »

I hope the Saints don't get upset with us for playing favourites. It is my sincere hope that every Saint on this list gets a vote and a comment because of their invaluable contributions to the Church and their own spiritual struggle.
I chose St. Ephaim the Syrian for the same reason as Justin chose St. Gregory- his well roundedness, his intellect and insight (particularly in his commentaries) as well as his poetry, hymns and prayers.

"As long as it depends on Monothelitism, then Miaphysitism is nothing but a variant of Monophysitism."

Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

I think such polls are very sinful. I love all the saints!
Also, Emperor Theodosius IS NOT a saint, but simply a pious emperor (Synodicon of Orthodoxy). Neither is Emperor Justinian (on Mt. Sinai, the monks pray for his soul)!

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I chose St Basil because I love how when he was near death and he knew when he would be going to die, he still used that to gain 'just one more family' for God's flock. He did this by 'betting' with a jewish doctor that if he were to live past the time of death that the doctor had set for him that he and his family would be Baptised. (forgive me, I can't remember it exactly right now...but that part of his life does stick out in my mind the most right now.) :)

Orthodox New England

Post by Orthodox New England »

I voted for my patron saint, Gregory the Theologian.

Gregory

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

It should be no surprise that I chose St. Ephrem, for many of the same reasons George did. If I could've chosen two, I would've also chosen St. John Chrysostom. If I could've chosen four, I would've also chosen...well, you get the picture.