Friday Nite TV

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
sue57

Friday Nite TV

Post by sue57 »

I'm sure NO ONE on this board is home watching tv...but on Dateline tonight, they're following six (seven?) people trying to lose weight for their 25th. high school reunion, and one was identified as a "Russian Orthodox priest" (!) I don't think he's ROCOR, but still, kind of a surprise. The clip of him in church made me want to be in church, so maybe tv isn't all that evil :lol:

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I saw that too! I suppose I should have been reading something edifying instead of watching tabloid tele, since it was Friday, but you do what you have to to stay awake while pampering a fussy baby :wink: I highly doubt he was ROCOR, as his beard was pretty short and he wore a Roman-style collar and suit. I'm putting my money on OCA (my diocese). I've never actually met an OCA priest who wears anything but a cassock, but who knows. It was sad, though, the footage of him serving at his mother's funeral. My wife and I laughed though, when they brought up the fact that all three peopel on the show suffered obvious setbacks due to the "easter holiday". Everyone gets fat after Pascha :lol:

sue57

Post by sue57 »

I was sort of surprised that he went back to his diet on Bright Monday. I wasn't sure if fasting is actually forbidden on that day or not. Actually, he didn't look that overweight anyhow. I wonder how many Russian OCA congregations there are? I guess I always think of ROCOR first. I went to a Greek church festival recently, and the priest there is a Catholic convert with an Irish name. That's got to be a tough gig, an non-Greek priest for a Greek congregation.