Raising money for our new church...

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

anastasios

If you want to avoid having fun and relaxing, or at the most consider it a "lesser evil," be my guest.

First, this isn't exactly what I was getting at. You can see my views on pleasure/joy in this thread.

Nicholas,

The principle you speak of is given because some people try to go above and beyond what they are capable of. If a spiritual father tells his children to do something "in moderation," it is not because doing the thing in an extreme manner is bad in itself, but only because the person in question is not ready or does not have the calling to do the thing in question. Again, I'd point to the above thread mentioned, this life is about progress in our spiritual maturity. Stopping everything "joyful" in your life when you first become an Orthodox is a bad thing to do (and very destructive, as Anastasios said); however, if you've been Orthodox for 40 years and you're still playing "games" and "having fun" to the same extent, then there is probably something wrong.

I think I'm being misunderstood here. I don't mean to say that no joy is ever allowed (though Jesus never laughed during his earthly life, an interesting thing to meditate on). What I oppose are the "joys" that take our minds away from God. I use to think (when I was a Wesleyan) that "God doesn't really want us to think about him 24/7... he couldn't". That's dead wrong, that's exactly what he wants, because it is in that state that we are the most human, that we are the most "fulfilled," and as it so happens, it is in that state of being that we are the most content. What really strikes me about Fr. Seraphim is his emphasis on struggle. I think he once said something like: "a man who doesn't stuggle can hardly be a Christian". So, if I have to take my chances, I'm gonna try to land on the side of struggling (as opposed to pleasures), even if I have a hard time even struggling to stuggle.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Aha. I understand! /\

Logos

Post by Logos »

Amen to the post of Anastasios. I realize that we are to struggle, yet to struggle implies that we have trouble tearing ourselves away from something, and God forbid, we indulge in it from time to time. I know we must struggle, but after all God did rest on the seventh day and created Sabbath for man.

Joe Zollars

parody

Post by Joe Zollars »

Is Outrage! Was it 100 Ruble raffle ticketsin 19th Century Russia?

Joe Zollars

PS: Give y'all three guesses as to what site I was just visiting. :D