The Other Unforgivable Sin

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Lucian

The Other Unforgivable Sin

Post by Lucian »

Has anyone ever noticed that besides blaspheming the Holy Spirit there is another unforgivable sin: divorce?

We know of saints who became priests and even bishops after having once been murderers, adulterers, homosexuals, fornicators, robbers - you name it - yet divorced persons are not supposed to be priests or even deacons.

Can someone explain this?

Divorce seems to be the one ineradicable blot on one's moral tally sheet.

Conclusion: better to murder your wife than to divorce her.

If you do the former, you can be completely forgiven and eventually become a bishop.

Do the latter and you are marked like Cain forever.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Lucian,

I think it all depends on the bishop(s) in question. A lot of people are never suppose to be priests or deacons. Some things that pass for "sexual exploration" today (not even involving full sexual intercourse) would disqualify one from being a Priest or deacon for life. One single mistake you make as a 17 year old kid could, according to a strict following of the canons, disqualify one. Divorced people can probably (I don't know 100%) become priests and deacons, it's really up to the bishop(s) involved, who will make a decision based on many factors. Also, perhaps the words of the Scripture have something to do with it, since the Scripture says that if someone gets divorced, and then they try to remarry, it is adultery. That could have broader implications, when it comes to being one of God's priests. Of course, in a typical situation the divorced person is forgiven, but perhaps it is seen differently when it comes to the priesthood, whether the person divorces and remarries, or becomes a monastic. I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing those who get divorced, I'm just thinking out loud here about your question.

ania

Post by ania »

Actually people can divorce in the Orthodox church. There are many grounds for it.

1. Abuse
  2. Adultory
  3. Loss of Contact (7 years of no contact, happens a lot in war time)
    I do personally know several deacons, a few priests, & 1 bishop who are divorced, for one reason or another.
Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Ania is correct....I have also known of Orthodox Priests who were divorced..

George

Post by George »

I have heard that someone who wants to be a Priest is unable to marry someone who has been divorced. Is this the case?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

George, according to the canons, yes, I believe so (though I don't have the relevant canons right in front of me)

George Australia
Sr Member

Re: The Other Unforgivable Sin

Post by George Australia »

Lucian wrote:

Conclusion: better to murder your wife than to divorce her.
If you do the former, you can be completely forgiven and eventually become a bishop.
Do the latter and you are marked like Cain forever.

This is actually incorrect. Anyone who causes the death of another, even accidentally, cannot be ordained.

George