hope I don't offend...

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
sashaedwardovna

hope I don't offend...

Post by sashaedwardovna »

This question is rather um, birds and bees like, but please, I mean no offense. Just some help from some Orthodox priests or helpful brothers. (or sisters) Does the Church deem mastubation a sin? If so, what is the reasoning? It seems to me that if one is not out commiting adultry, that's a good thing, right? Or is it still sort of considered the same thing? (as adultery)

/\RT3|\/|0|\|

O

Post by /\RT3|\/|0|\| »

It is a SIN, your basicaly fornicating with YOURSELF!! :o

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

It is a sin for several reasons. One is misdirecting your God-given ability to love. You also are spilling your seed so to speak. And you are lusting.

If you are struggling with sexual sins, I suggest you 1) begin a regular program of confession with your priest and 2) if you are unable to overcome the sin with confession and communion (prayer and fasting as well), attend the meetings of Sexaholics Anonymous. www.sa.org . Some object that "why do we need this if we have the Church?" but the fact is that in Orthodox countries, people were in close contact with the other members of their communities and were able to be held accountable and receive support. In the modern world, we are so cut off from one another that we don't always get this (even though we should). So going to 12 step programs can help with the accountability and support. Of course the only way you will progress is if you put Christ first.

But of course, maybe you were just asking for the heck of it. 8)

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I think they hit the nail on the head. Masturbation is really lust, which is the wanting after of something that you can't or (morally) shouldn't have. In this case, it is wanting sexual pleasure outside the God-intended context for that (a happy marriage). I don't mean to condemn anyone... certainly not I when it comes to these types of subjects :( ...but it's not a good thing, no. Of course, despair is worse, so please don't fall into Satan's trap of falling into one temptation, and then falling into despair/ultra-guilt.

sashaedwardovna

Post by sashaedwardovna »

Oh my goodness! I really feel I need to clairfy things. What conclusions people come to! Although I suppose my wording is responsible. (looks sheepish) ANyway, I am NOT some sexaholic, or depressed, depraved person. I really was just asking because the subject has come up several times and I'm never sure what stance to take. pax.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Well, I am far from pure in this area, so perhaps my response was infused with a lot of personal issues, anxieties and guilt... sorry if I seemed like I was judging you or assuming things about you. God Bless! :)