BIll Cosby

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
ania

Post by ania »

Sues,
Don't feel so bad. My dad teaches in an inner-city school, where drugs, guns, yada yada are a common occurence. Dad has had his glasses torn from his face or smashed several times while breaking up fights (and he's a pretty big guy). I remember visiting his school (it was right across the street from my college, we'd do lunch between our classes) and it was strange seeing police officers w/ guns patroling the halls, as I went to a small town school. I've helped him grade his papers, and 1/2 the time, despite the students obviously deserving to fail, he will give them the minumum passing grade. "I just don't want to see that face next semester/year." However, there are moments of hope. I remember several students having private lessons at our house (dad's a music/voice teacher) who are very good and go to state competitions. At this point, Dad's just happy that he get to retire in less than 2 years, as he's almost done w/ his 20 years.

sue57

Post by sue57 »

Ania,
Thanks so much for your response, it really made me feel better!

Isn't your dad a priest as well? Do his students know that? I suppose in a public school, you wouldn't be able to mention it.

I had so many great students. One girl gave me a "New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons" datebook, which was so sweet. Another student just was accepted at a really good state university, and he told me that my classes at filled all his requirements. So, there definately is light in the darkness. However....I got my course evaluations two days before Western Christmas, and one said "she stands there and talks about boring art. Art sucks." I was teaching art history. Yeah, well, what can you do?

Teaching is hard. I guess a lot of students have horrible lives, horrible parents, if they have any parents at all. It sort of shows though, that the world isn't exactly moving in a good direction. I guess there's a huge rate of attrition for community college instructors. When you're not getting benefits, retirement, etc. it's hard to persuade yourself to stay.

ania

Post by ania »

Dad is a priest as well, and luckily he teaches in a school district run by old-school Italians, (it's a city that's mostly black, but run by what's left of the Italians who controlled the city for a long time (ever wonder why the mob always went "upstate?" they were going to Utica)) who are rather lenient when he needs a day off to serve. When he became a priest, almost 3 years ago (after 28 years as a deacon) he went to the principle and told him that he needs to serve 40 days, and though some of those 40 days would overlap Christmas vacation, he will be an hour + late for a good 20 days. (in Jordanville liturgy is served on the weekdays at 6am) The principle reacted in a very unexpected way. He said that ether his cousin or brother-in-law (don't remember which) is an archemandrite in the OCA, and he totally understands my dad's priorities, and he immediately thought of a solution to make both parties happy. Dad was able to serve all 40 days.
Most of his students think him strange (and scarry, if you haven't met dad, you wouldn't know what I mean by that), that's for sure. He's the weird guy with the long hair & beard & speaks with a faint accent & in a deep voice. I do not believe they know he's a priest, to them he's "Mr. P." The students that come to the house for lessons on the other hand do know he's a priest, as it's kinda hard to hide (ryassi & icons etc all over the place).

sue57

Post by sue57 »

Wow, your father must have really have felt the hand of God in his discussion with the principle. I wonder if his students feel some sort of spiritual "vibe" (sorry, can't think of a better word) in their dealings with him? It's good to know that there are some people teaching in public schools who have a moral center.

I always think of my beloved Adirondacks when I hear about Utica! Once we drove past Utica, we knew that the mountains were getting closer.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Ania wrote: "ever wonder why the mob always went "upstate?" they were going to Utica"

:lol: how true! (hey, I'm a former upstate new yorker)