Vesperal Divine Liturgies?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The northern territories of course! :D :oops:

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Nicholas,

The traditions of the Church grow and evolve gradually over the centuries. Before the Calendar Change, before modernism, before the uber-spiffy-pan-heresy-of-heresies-of-ecumenism, Vigil had become fairly uncommon in all Greek Orthodox areas (not just the EP). It was an organic development just like bishops starting to wear mitres, etc. We could be liturgical "restorationists" and bring back Vigils into widespread parish use like the Cyprian crew has done--and I certainly think that would be good--but let's not view this as "tradition" vs "modernism" as things were already in the process of change long before ecumenism.

In the places that do Vigils, such as monasteries, it got pushed back to 4 pm I am told. I could be wrong--I would just need someone to point out why--but this is what some Greeks from Greece told me. I think this development is parallel to the dying out of Vigils as discussed in the other thread on all night Vigils. Both are organic changes, just like Holy Week services beginning to be prefigured.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!