Bishop Prompts All Orthodox to Stop Watching TV!

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Theodora Elizabeth:

Welcome to the forum-- I know many of the struggles you are talking about. No easy route there.

Here is an absolutely crazy off the wall idea-- get a CD player and start listening to foreign language CD's at work-- anything by Pimsleur is the best. Pick a language that sounds interesting-- or one that is spoken in orthodox parishes (i.e. Greek, Russian, Arabic, etc) and go for it.

--Chris

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Good suggestion Chris.

I bounce between Pimsleurs (Pimsleurs is the best) German, the KJV, NPR, and silence.

Theodora Elizabeth
Jr Member

Post by Theodora Elizabeth »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Good suggestion Chris.

I bounce between Pimsleurs (Pimsleurs is the best) German, the KJV, NPR, and silence.

Do you find the political and social liberalism of NPR annoying or not? I currently can't cope with it. I'm currently listening to the all-news Chicago AM station, as I currently don't have the extra cash for a CD player and CDs.

Theodora Elizabeth

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Theodora Elizabeth wrote:

Do you find the political and social liberalism of NPR annoying or not? I currently can't cope with it.

I personally don't notice it. I think they tend to rather neutral in their reporting. Granted, the stories they deside to run may have a more 'liberal' slant. Maybe I don't notice it because maybe I'm not that concervative :)

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Maybe I don't notice it because maybe I'm not that concervative

It's ok brother, we will forgive you! :P

These days, I try listen to the radio as little as possible. Not that I get very far with cultivating silence either, but it's good to make an attempt at. :)

Theodora Elizabeth
Jr Member

Post by Theodora Elizabeth »

Justin Kissel wrote:

Maybe I don't notice it because maybe I'm not that concervative

It's ok brother, we will forgive you! :P

These days, I try listen to the radio as little as possible. Not that I get very far with cultivating silence either, but it's good to make an attempt at. :)

I listen at work because I would go insane without the radio. However, at home, it's another matter. In the morning, I get up and do my prayers. After I will listen to the radio briefly to get the weather. I don't listen all the time on my drive. In the evening, however, I've lately not been putting the radio on at all.

Theodora Elizabeth

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Have you tried the BBCs World Service? It is an eclectic mix, but has some irreproachable listening. Like any large public service organisation it is 'blessed' with some so-called 'liberal minded' executives and contributors :roll: