Various Prayers

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

The only place I know of with many prayers is the Jordanville Prayer book that's online....

My Favorite Prayers: Psalm 50(51)
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgression. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know mine iniquity, and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil before Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged. For behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother bear me. For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow, Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled, they shall rejoice. Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and with Thy governing Spirit establish me. I shall teach transgressors Thy ways, and the ungodly shall turn back unto Thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness. O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise. For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with whole-burnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased. A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise. Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasure unto Sion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be builded. Then shalt Thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings. Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

Prayer VII to the Most Holy Theotokos:
I sing of thy grace, O Sovereign Lady, and I pray thee to grace my mind. Teach me to step aright in the way of Christ's commandments. Strenghten me to keep awake in song, and drive away the sleep of despondency. O Bride of God, by thy prayers release me, bound with the bonds of sin. Guard me by night and by day and deliver me from foes that defeat me. O bearer of God, the Life-giver, enliven me who am deadened by passions. O bearer of the unwaning Light, enlighten my blinded soul. O marvellous palace of the Master, make me to be a house of the Divine Spirit. O bearer of the Healer, heal the perennial passions of my soul. Guide me to the path of repentance, for I am tossed in the storm of life. Deliver me from eternal fire, and from evil worms, and from Tartarus. Let me not be exposed to the rejoicing of demons, guilty as I am of many sins. Renew me grown old with sensless sins, O most immaculate one. Present me untouched by all torments, and pray for me to the Master of all. Vouchsafe me to find the joys of heaven with all the saints. O most holy Virgin hearken unto the voice of thine unprofitable servant. Grant me torrents of tears, O most pure one, to cleanse my soul from impurity. I offer the groans of my heart to thee unceasingly, strive for me, O Sovereign Lady. Accept my service of supplication and offer it to compassionate God. O thou who art above the angels, raise me above this world's confusion. O Lightbearing heavenly tabernacle, direct the grace of the Spirit in me. I raise my hands and lips in thy praise, defiled as they are by impurity, O all-immaculate one. Deliver me from soul-corrupting evils, and fervently intercede with Christ, to Whom is due honour and worship, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Prayer of St Epharim the Syrian:
O Lord and Master of my life, a spirit of idleness, despondency, lust of power, and idle talking give me not.
But rather a spirit of chasity, humility, patience and love bestow upon me Thy servant.
Yea O Lord and King, grant me to see my failings and not condemn my brother; for blessed art Thou unto the ages of ages Amen.

MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Prayer Before the Icon of Christ
We reverence thy spotless icon, O gracious Lord, and ask forgiveness of our transgressions, O Christ our God: for of thine own will thou wast pleased to ascend the cross in the flesh, that thou mightest deliver from bondage to the enemy those whom thou hadst fashioned. Wherefore, we cry aloud unto thee, thou hast filled all things with joy, O our Savior, for thou didst come, to save the world.

Prayer Before the Icon of the Theotokos
For as much as thou art a well-spring of tenderness, O Theotokos, make us worthy of compassion, look upon a sinful people; manifest thy power as ever; for hoping on thee we cry aloud unto thee: Hail! as once did Gabriel, chief captain of the bodiless powers.