Anybody here from Toronto?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Andreas

Anybody here from Toronto?

Post by Andreas »

Do you guys know of any English speaking Orthodox Churches in Toronto?

Valentina
Jr Member

Post by Valentina »

There are only two Russian ones I believe. At least the only two from ROCOR.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Valentina wrote:

There are only two Russian ones I believe. At least the only two from ROCOR.

And they have Liturgy in English? :)

хорист
Jr Member

Re: Anybody here from Toronto?

Post by хорист »

Andreas wrote:

Do you guys know of any English speaking Orthodox Churches in Toronto?

Andreas,

I usually attend one or the other of the two ROCOR parishes here in Toronto but, unfortunately, no English is used as yet in either (although that may change in the future). A few years back the OCA church here was heading towards more and more English but that is going back to more Slavonic these days. After all, there is a huge contingent of recent arrivals in the city so the demand for Slavonic is there. (This morning I would guess there were at least 350 people and maybe 150 communicants at the Liturgy at the Holy Trinity-ROCOR parish alone.)

There is an all-English HOCNA parish, St. Joseph of Arimathea, I think, in the northern part of town. I wouldn't recommend it, however, but there it is.

Monk George

Post by Monk George »

The ROAC has a mission in Niagara Falls. Please PM me for contact information.

George, hegumen

"Obedience is Life and the Opposite is also True."

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

Hello,

I am not from Toronto, nor have I ever been there, but I have a good friend who studied there for almost two years and he is the type of guy who really likes to church hop every week and make knew friends, very social. Anyway, knowing that he probably knows everything that there is to know about Orthdoxy in Toronto, I got in touch with him for you and he said that besides the HOCNA parish that serves in English mentioned, there is an Antiochian parish that is mostly English with some Arabic and Slavonic. He also said that there is an English Carpatho-Russian mission. He didn't have the address of the Antiochian church but the adress of the Carpatho-Russian mission is:

Fr. Roberto Ubertino
St. Silouan the Athonite Orthodox Mission
Carpatho-Russian Diocese of the Ecumenical
Patriarchate of Constantinople
155 Broadview Ave. Toronto, ON
M4M 2E9, Canada

Hope that helps!

Nick (savva)

хорист
Jr Member

Post by хорист »

Hegumen George wrote:

The ROAC has a mission in Niagara Falls. Please PM me for contact information.

Niagara Falls is, depending on the time of day, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Toronto. Depending on which Niagara Falls the mission is on, however (US/Canada?), the border crossing could add a lot of time.

Andreas, do you live in Toronto or are you planning to visit? In any case, if you are in town and need transportation to church let me know.