Our Visit to the Monastery of the Transfiguration

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Justin Kissel

Our Visit to the Monastery of the Transfiguration

Post by Justin Kissel »

My wife and I went to the Orthodox Monastery of the Transfiguration (OCA-Romanian) in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, this past weekend. This monastery was founded by the Princess of Romania, Ileana, who was also the first abbess (named Alexandra) of the monastery. There is a biography about her, currently out of print, named I live Again (there is a second book about her, named Hospital of the Queen's Heart).

They have a half-decently sized library, which includes a copies of the previously mentioned books (my wife began reading the biography at the monastery, but was unable to finish it). They had most of the modern Orthodox books that one would expect (Popovich, Ware, Schmemann, Vlachos, Meyendorff, Florovsky, etc.), with the only exception that I noticed being none by Alexei Khomiakov (though I could have missed them). They had many of the books that an (English) theology student would love to have at hand, including many bookshelves worth of texts by the church Fathers. They also had a number of Russian, Greek, and Romanian language books, and about 3-4 large bookshelves worth of "Western Spirituality" books. Half a wall was devoted to Orthodox periodicals, mostly from the 1970's until recently. There oldest books looked to be some of the liturgical books that they had, though I didn't want to disturb them in their fragile state consider that I was only mildly curious.

Their bookstore was also of a half-decent size. I'd guesstimate that they had about 60-75 different icons available, including a number of ones produced at the monastery. There were perhaps 4 dozen different CD's, and also about a dozen cassettes, most of them seeming to be in Greek (though I didn't pay attention to closely). There were a couple VHS tapes, one being about the Monastery of the Transfiguration itself. As far as books went, there were probably 150 or so titles, including very few in the way of "popular level" literature, but mostly stuff such as Orthodox Psychotherapy, Saint Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, Vested in Grace: Priesthood and Marriage in the Orthodox Church, etc. About the only stuff that was closer to the "popular level" were a few titles by Fr. Hopko, Jaroslav Pelikan, etc., but even these were usually on subjects that the regular Joe Orthodox wouldn't be interested in.

The prices of the books were a bit on the high side (probably 10% higher than you'd pay elsewhere), though one doesn't mind that so much when considering that the fine monastery was benefiting, and that all the "merchandise" there was of a high quality. There were also, of course, lots of other things you'd expect in an Orthodoxy bookstore, such as "icon magnets," prayer ropes, crosses, and icon eggs (some being quite large... I think the one was almost $150). Something that I thought was nice was the way in which you paid for whatever you wanted to buy. You simply wrote down what you were buying, and left your money in the basket that they had (with what you had taken) by the doorway. There was no pressure, and no one even watching you; as my wife and I was browsing, the only "interruption" was when two people popped their head in the door to make sure someone was in there (since the lights were on).

The guesthouse (for non-clergy) was quite spacious, having a kitchen, dining room, 2 bathrooms, and 4 bedrooms. They had just recently completed a maintainence shed, which looked to be of a large size (I'd guestimate at least 25'x20', though I'm not great with such estimates). There are nature trails that can be walked on, including one that (it was said) went past a miniature water fall. The rooms of the nuns, and some offices, were on the far side of the property, though they were only a short walk from the chapel doors (needless to say, I can't subscribe this part! ;) ). The hall in which we ate the meals was quite large, and looked like it could host a large number of people when necessary. I didn't see the kitchen, though I imagine it'd have been large as well.

And now the actual Church :) When you first walk in to the Church (which is attached through hallways to many of the other aspects of the monastery), you are in the Church extension. In the middle of this large room is a rug which was given to Mother Alexandra as a gift from the Czar, and on this is an icon for reverencing. Along the back are 10 seats for those who wish to sit. There were a good number of icons in this room, including one that particularly caught my interest, that being an icon of Saint Gregory the Theologian which must have been 8' tall, at the least. Also in this room were the relics of saints that were at the monastery. There was fragments from not a few of the more popular saints, including relics from Saints Ireneaus, Athanasius, George, etc.

While the Church extension was spacious, the Church proper was somewhat confined and enclosing. The wall slant inward, so that while the floor is about 22' wide, the ceiling is only about 8' wide. Covering these slanted walls are 10 huge iconographic images on either side, which were about 5' x 10' in size. Along the back edge of the Church proper were a few more seats for people to sit in if they wished. These seats (with one exception) were all custom built for the monastery, and were designed so that the seats could be folded back and become "stalls" that could be stood in. About at the halfway point of the Church (proper), on both sides, are icons on stands for veneration, and also a place to put lit candles and icons in front of the candles. In front of this on both sides are a few more seats, with two areas for the reading/chanting/singing of texts. (I keep mentioning seats, but just so i don't give the wrong impression, the great majority of space had no seats; there were only about 20 seats total in the whole Church, the majority of which were in the back of the Church extension).

The iconostasis was about went to about half way up to the ceiling, and was of a "holed" design, so that you could somewhat (though not totally clearly) see behind it. I seem to remember only a few icons on the Iconostasis itself. Painted on the walls of the sanctuary, however, were many more iconographic images, which were quite numerous, and extended on the ceiling all the way to the back. The great doors came up to about mid-chest level, and extended down to about where the knees are. Mostly candles were used, with only 1 oil-burning lamp being in use.

We arrived at the monastery on Friday evening, about about a quarter till five in the evening. Upon arrival we were informed that services were just about to start, and so we just went straight in to the services instead of going to our rooms or eating or something similar. I'm afraid I don't recall much about what happened during this time, though we spent roughly 2 hours in the Church. We had an eventful day up to that point, and I must admit that both Mary and I were tired by this time, and even having trouble staying awake. After the service we were shown around the monastery somewhat, and then we chit-chatted with Mother Karatena about various things. She was, apparently, originally from Germany, and was quite sociable (which is why she was in charge of guests, I guess! :) ). After giving a tour of the library, she gave us directions to the guest house, and so we went there.

At the guest house the nuns had placed some food for us to eat (pickle, tofu, carrots, etc.), and we were assigned to Saint Herman's room. (The house was Saint Macrina's house). There was a bookcase (about 4' tall) with books in the common area of the house, off of which I selected a book to read through for the night. Hours and Liturgy the next morning began at about 8:30AM, and again went a little over two hours. Fr. Theodore served this liturgy, at which we received communion. (Coincidentally, this was Fr. Gregory's name-day, and he expressed his happiness to be able to celebrate it there at the monastery -- he had also been present the night before, during which Saint Gregory was mangnified also).

After liturgy Mary and I helped with some of the tasks that needed to be done at the monastery, and then we had lunch, which was quite good. During this time Mary and I got to chat with a pleasant woman who was staying at the monastery for an extended period while trying to discern whether to she was going to become a novice or not. Though we didn't get into any deep issues, she struck me as someone well educated and very familiar with Orthodoxy. After lunch mary and I browsed through the bookstore, and then stopped by the library, where I spent an hour or so taking some notes from various books. After this we checked out 3 books and took them back to the guest house.

Vigil that night started at about 6PM, and lasted over 2 1/2 hours; the participating priest was Fr. Thomas Hopko (yes, that Hopko :) ). At one point were were blessed (anointed?) with oil, and various other things happened that weren't an everyday experience. I unfortunately didn't stay the whole time for this, but left after about 2 hours (for reasons I'd rather not discuss). The next morning services started at 8:45AM, with the Litury (again served by Fr. Thomas Hopko) starting at around 9:30AM. I missed this liturgy, again for reasons I'd rather not go into (perhaps Mary can share some details about what went on here). This was essentially the end of our stay, we went up one more time to the monastery proper, gave what meager donation we could, browsed the bookstore one more time, Mary said goodbye, and we were off to Pittsburgh.

Seraphim Reeves

I've yet to have the privilege

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

I've yet to have the privilege of staying at a monastery. The ultimate, obviously, would be a chance to visit Mt.Athos. Despite it's dangers nowdays, I wouldn't mind going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem either.

Who else here has stayed at a monstery? I'd particularly be interested in hearing from those who have stayed for an extended period of time.

Seraphim

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Who else here has stayed at a monstery? I'd particularly be interested in hearing from those who have stayed for an extended period of time.

I spent Sunday until today at Saint Anthony's monastery in AZ. They are very friendly to the ROCOR there (consider that Geronda Ephraim stayed at Jordanville for some time when all the GOA bishops wanted him out of North America). The only drawback is liturgy is 100% Greek. It is a wonderful monastery and the monks are very holy there.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Enquiring minds want to know!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Please do tell us all about it Nektarios!

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Yes, please tell us about your retreat to the monastery Nektarious! I love to hear others' experiences at monasteries!

MaryCecilia