Lord Have Mercy!

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

I was very touched to see the wonderful pictures and icon of the saintly man who holds such a special place in my memory and heart.

BLESSED METROPOLITAN PHILARET PRAY TO GOD FOR US!!!

Nicholas

Lounger

Post by Lounger »

bogoliubtsy wrote:

Interesting how almost all those who actually knew Metropolitan Philaret are still with ROCOR. Interesting also the stories one can hear from those who knew him, which point to another side of him that might be hard to catch in his writings.

Interesting how you say things and do not back it up with irrefutable facts. Who was Saint Philaret's right hand man? Bishop Gregory Grabbe. And where did his entire family go? Insteresting also the private letters from Saint Philaret which point to stronger feelings of the graceless MP that might be hard to catch in his writings.

Lounger

Post by Lounger »

Savva24 wrote:

I was very touched to see the wonderful pictures and icon of the saintly man who holds such a special place in my memory and heart.

BLESSED METROPOLITAN PHILARET PRAY TO GOD FOR US!!!

Nicholas

Amen!

Image!

Joe Zollars

Post by Joe Zollars »

thanks Lounger for posting that Icon. That is the Icon available from Dormition Skete. 17.50 for mounted Icon and 9.00 for a print suitable for framing (I may be off a bit on the cost of hte print as it has been awhile since I have seen its price).

Nicholas Zollars

Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Interesting how almost all those who actually knew Metropolitan Philaret are still with ROCOR. Interesting also the stories one can hear from those who knew him, which point to another side of him that might be hard to catch in his writings.

I don't see what' so "interesting" about this...at least nothing that is demonstrative of whatever it is you think this demonstrates. Of the Apostles, only St.John had the conviction to not betray Christ, and even stand at the foot of the Cross (while one outright involved himself in the betrayal of the Lord, 1 overtly denied Him, and the other 9 were busy hiding so as to not join Him.) Majority rules?

Let us pray that the days be shortened.

Seraphim

ania

Post by ania »

<<sigh>> ok ok... Met. Philaret is buried in a crypt below the cathedral in Jordanville, I visit his grave almost every time I go home...
At the moment, I would like to point out this... Most people in ROCOR, who knew & loved Met. Philaret, have no doubt that he was a pious monk who loved the church he lead. One of these days you guys should listen to Matushka Ann Lardas, and others like her, who knew Met. Philaret personally. If he is a saint, ROCOR, which is HIS church, will canonize him in time, in the meantime I feel, and so do many others, that Valentine & his bunch jumped the gun. Remember, that it was 25 years after the death of Vl. John that he was canonized, and people thought him a living saint, which wasn't really the case with Met. Philaret (though everyone agreed that he was a good & pious monk). All in good time...

I will not comment on Bsp Anthony Grabbe...

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!

Last edited by romiosini on Fri 16 September 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.