Vladika's Homilies

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Грешник
Sr Member

December 1/14, 2003

Post by Грешник »

December 1/14, 2003
Beloved Parishioners in the Lord, Rejoice!

Greetings in Christ from Dormition Skete. We hope and pray that you are all well, advancing in the grace of God, day by day growing in love for God and each other.

The Reading is from the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians [§ 229]. Brethren:
5 8 Be walking as children of light- 9for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth- 10proving what is well-pleasing to the Lord. 11And cease having fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them. 12For it is shameful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13But all things which are reproved are made manifest by the light; for all which is made manifest is light. 14Wherefore, He saith, "Rouse thyself, thou who sleepest, and arise from the dead, and the Christ shall shine on thee [cf. Is. 9:2, 26:19, 52:1, 60:1, 2]."
15Be taking heed then how exactly ye walk, not as unwise ones, but as wise ones, 16redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17On this account cease becoming foolish, but become as ones understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18And cease being drunk with wine, in which is prodigality, but keep on being filled with the Spirit, 19speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and chanting in your heart to the Lord.

The Reading is from the Holy Gospel according to St. Luke [§ 66]. The Lord said this parable:
12 16"The land of a certain rich man produced well. 17"And he was considering within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, because I have no room where I shall gather together my fruit?' 18"And he said, 'This will I do: I will take down my storehouses and build greater ones; and there will I gather together all my produce and my good things. 19"'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, thou hast many good things being laid up for many years; be taking thy rest; eat, drink, and be merry."' 20"But God said to him, 'Fool, this night they demand thy soul from thee; and what thou didst prepare, for whom shall it be?' 21"Thus is the one who treasureth up for himself, and is not rich toward God."! nbsp; After He said these things, He said aloud, "The one who hath ears to hear, let him hear." [Lk. 12:16-21]

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Because Vladyka is not here, with his blessing, we are offering you a sermon we read from St. Asterios (+405 A.D.), Bishop of Amesia of Pontos in Asia Minor (Western Turkey), entitled "Against Covetousness", which is in concord with the message of the Lord's parable:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHRISTIANS and sharers of a heavenly calling (cf. Heb. 3:1), you country folk, and all who come from the towns, you who in concord have gathered at the present feast, ----for by a general address I embrace you all,----has each one of you thoughtfully considered and realized why we are assembled? And why are martyrs honored by the construction of notable buildings and by these annual assemblies, and what end did our fathers have in view when they ordained the things we see, and left the established custom to their descendants? Is it not evident to one who concentrates his thought on this subject even for a short time, that these things have been given permanent form to rouse us to pious ! emulation, and that the feasts constitute public schools for our souls, in order that while we honor the martyrs, we may learn to imitate their sturdy piety; that lending the ear to the gathered teachers, we may learn some useful thing which we did not know before,----either the certainty of some doctrine, or the explanation of some difficult Scripture, ----or may hear some discourse that will improve our morals?

But you seem to me to have abandoned your care for virtue, to have forgotten your zeal on behalf of your souls, and to have devoted all your thought to the rubbish of mammon and the business of the markets; some bargaining yourselves; some greedily haggling with competing dealers in order to reduce their prices. But transfer your love to the church. Abandon the love of money, that mad passion of the market. Turn from it as from a disorderly courtesan who, embellished with foreign stuffs and with the brilliant colors of the apothecary, smiles upon the multitude. Love the church, divine and discreet, modestly attired, with look august and grave. For th! us Solomon says in the book of Proverbs, "Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee" (Prov. 4:6 [LXX]). Do not pass her by with contempt, nor deem the things that lie near us on this table of little worth because it is possible for you to procure them freely. But desire them all the more because we do not sit, as hucksters, with balance and scales; but seek only one gain,----the salvation of the hearer.

There has been read to us from the Acts …Zacharias, too, has prophesied today…There are many kindred Scriptures full of profit for us, into all of which I wished to go that I might show you the abundance of the spiritual feast. But I must fulfil the promise that I made yesterday. For after we had brought many accusations against covetousness, but had scarcely laid bare its vanity, we deferred until today the proof of the charges. Listen, therefore, and show yourselves wise judges of the truth; for your decision affects your own salvation, not that of others; and each of you casts his vote of condemn! ation against his own soul, as though driving it out of house or town.

Covetousness, then, is not simply being mad for money, and other possessions, wishing to add to what you have that to which you have no right, but, to speak more broadly, it is the desire to have in every transaction or dealing more than is due or belongs to you. And you know that the devil was the first to have this fault; for he was an archangel, and appointed to the most honorable life and station; but the arrogant creature conceived of absolute rule and rebellion against God, and he was thereafter cast down from heaven, and, falling into this atmosphere of earth, he became your malicious neighbor. So he did not attain the divinity to which he asp! ired, and he lost the rank which he had enjoyed of being archangel; an unfaithful servant, changed by gradually increasing audacity into a robber;----the dog of the Greek fable, who was both deprived of his meat and failed to grasp the shadow----for how could he grasp an intangible thing?

After him, the first man was beguiled into the love of pleasure, and by eating the forbidden fruit lost immortality (Gen. 3:3), as Esau afterward lost his birthright for a dish of pottage (Gen. 25:29-34). And love of more introduced into our life these languages of ours, the many tongues of men (Gen. 11:1-9). For men who through plenty had become wanton, thinking that the heavens were accessible to them, foolishly made a preposterous tower for mounting up to the sky, and so caused mankind, which had been of one language, to speak with different tongues; in seeking more than they had, they themselves were not only confounded but left to mankind the we! ariness of hearing unintelligible tongues, and of searching for their interpretation.

And what of Pharaoh? How came he to fall into difficulties and to be afflicted with plagues? Was it not through covetousness, through the desire of being lord over a strange people which by no means belonged to his kingdom? And, since he did not let those go who belonged to another, he lost those who were his own; some in the smiting of the first-born and others in the pursuit through the sea. For I do not mention the rivers flowing blood, and the infinite generation of frogs, and the destruction wrought by locusts, and the eruption of boils, and the death of four-footed beasts, and all the evil to which Egypt was condemned on account of her ruler's ! covetousness (Ex. 8-14).

Again, somewhere else I have learned the outcome of this sin, how leprosy in a moment spread over the body of the covetous. Recall with me, if you are historically-inclined, and fond of hearing of Elisseos' deeds, how Naaman the Syrian bathed in the Jordan, and was healed of his leprosy, and how his malady passed over upon Gehazi, the prophet's servant, a covetous and foolish young man, who received raiment and silver for his master's free act of healing (4 [2] Kings 5). How did Absalom, that fiery and impetuous young man, son of an indulgent father (St. King David), become a parricide? Was it not by prematurely seeking the inheritance of the kin! gdom and leaping like a robber upon what was another's (2 Kings [2 Sam.] 15)? And Judas, also,----what drove him out from the company of the apostles, and made him a traitor instead of an apostle? Was it not the treasury at first dishonestly administered, and then the getting of the shameful price (Jn. 12: 6; Matt. 26:15)? Why does the Acts of the Apostles tell in tragic vein of Ananias and Sapphira? Is it not because they were thieves of what was their own, and violators of their own offerings (Acts 5:1-10)? The day will soon fail me if I try to enumerate the servants of covetousness.

But now, leaving ancient history, let us interrogate the experience of daily life, and learn what sort of a creature it recognizes in covetousness, and how hard it is to get rid of; for whomsoever it seizes, ever waxing but never waning, it grows old with its victims and abides with them to the end.

The lustful and the lover of his body, even if he be for a long time mad in his desires, when he becomes old, and sees the object of his affection, his body, now aged and the bloom departed, finds that there is a limit to his disorder. The glutton himself withdraws from his indulgence when surfeited, or when his digestive organs become weak, and their intense desire for food is gone. The ambitious man after having attained great notoriety ceases to desire to show himself off. But the disease of covetousness is an evil hard to rid one's self of. And just as this ivy, the plant flourishing and ever green, creeping up the trees that grow near, coils tig! ht about the trunks wherever it touches----and even if they suffer harm or wither, it does not die, unless some one with an axe severs its serpent-like coils----so it is not easy to free the soul from covetousness, whether the body be youthful or beginning to grow old, unless some sober consideration enter in and like a knife cut off the disease.

The covetous man is odious to the members of his household, severe to his domestics, useless to his friends, ungracious to strangers, troublesome to his neighbors, a sorry companion to his wife, a penurious rearer of children, a bad master of himself; at night full of anxiety, by day absorbed, talking to himself like one demented; abounding in wealth, yet groaning as though in need; not enjoying what he has, and yet seeking what he has not; not using his own, yet casting avaricious eyes upon the property of others. Such a man has a great flock of sheep that fills the folds in which it is penned, and covers the plains on which it pastures. And if a si! ngle sheep belonging to his neighbor appear in good flesh, taking no notice of his own vast flock he lays greedy siege to that one sheep of his neighbor. The same is true in the case of his kine and of his horses; nor is it otherwise in the matter of his land. The house is crowded with everything, but nothing is made any use of. For it is impossible for a greedy person to have any enjoyment, but his house is almost like a grave. For see, graves are often full of silver and gold, but no one uses the riches. The body is not sustained by them; the soul finds no satisfaction in them; for alms are not scattered by the right hand of the dead

Now let some one who has been seized with this disease of covetousness tell me what is the object of this toil for gain? For I know that many with whom I am acquainted, love money more when they are sick than when they are in health. If the doctor prescribes for their recovery some inexpensive medicine, such as parsley or thyme or anise, which can be procured without expense, they readily heed his directions. But if he mentions some drug, the ingredients of which are rich and complex, and they are sent to the apothecary or the perfumer to purchase it, they give up their lives rather than open their purses. For being earthly-minded they think the poss! ession of earthly things to be life itself. These men are profoundly depressed by general prosperity and delighted by general distress. They pray that intolerable burdens of taxation may be imposed by public proclamation that they may increase their money by usury. They want to see their neighbors throttled by money-lenders, in order that they may secure for themselves their farms, their chattels, or live stock, when through necessity they are thrown on the market at a low price. And they keep continually looking up at the sky, like those philosophers whose work it is to investigate astronomical phenomena, not studying the movement of a star, nor trying to observe what house is occup! ied by one of the planets, but curious about the state of the FONT COLOR="#000000">atmosphere, whether the signs that present themselves promise a downfall of rain or a drought. And if they see any portent of any calamity threatening to fall on the community at large, they rejoice over it. They gather everything into their warehouses, which they closely seal and secure with double bars, while they continually measure and reckon up their stores. And while the covetous man cherishes such expectation and in his mind's eye sees himself rich, if a thick cloud arise, he is frightened as though danger were imminent. If showers besprinkle the earth he begins to weep. And if there comes rain enough to mitigate the drought, it makes him perfectly miserable. Thereafter in all he does he goes about cogitating on the grain, as on a son in peril, thinking by what means, by what device it may be preserved for a long time, and escape danger by insects. But when he sees that the weather is dry, as physicians treat persons wasting away by perspiration, spreading out his grain he stirs and freshens it, toilsomely tends it, devises a shelter against the noonday heat, and strips off the screens at night, that it may be fanned by the night winds.

To him, engaged in this distressful toil, the poor man presents himself, asking for some of the endangered grain, but he does not give it; or, if he gives it, he bestows it parsimoniously, and half-heartedly, parting with it with extreme reluctance. Therefore, I beseech you, if you are such a man, do not undergo these infinite hardships. For the covetous man who lives in luxury is deserving of pity, since he bounds his existence with the belly's enjoyment and other pleasures, regarding this as the goal of humanity. But in the case of the mean and penurious, his wretchedness has no limit, since he receives the goods of many, and does not give even to ! himself, and so has nothing for his pains. For who does not know that nothing, except the virtues, exists for its own sake, but we do one thing in order that we may accomplish another? No sailor traverses the sea simply for the sake of sailing, and no farmer passes his life in toil simply for the sake of farming; but it is manifest that both persevere amid their hardships that they may secure, the one the increase of the earth, and the other the wealth of maritime trade. But tell me now, O covetous man, what is your goal? To accumulate? And what kind of an object in life is this, to heap up and gloat over unused substance? The very sight, he replies, delights me. Then attack your dis! order in another way. For you can allay this longing with what belongs to others. If the glitter of silver delights you, sit beside the silversmiths and gaze steadfastly upon the strong and glittering sheen; or haunt the markets, and enjoy the richly wrought vessels, platters: and pitchers. For the sight of them is free and unhindered. Watch the moneychangers also who are continually reckoning and counting the coin at their tables; but, better yet, yield to good advice and give up this inclination. For amendment is easy, since covetousness is not a necessity of nature, but a direction of choice, and to change it is not difficult for those who consider their own advantage.

Pass over in thought to the time to come, when you shall be no more; when a small plot of earth shall hold your body, insensate, returned to dust, and a little tablet, a few spans in size, shall cover all that remains. Where then will be your wealth and your gathered treasures? Who will be the heir of what you leave behind? For it is by no means certain that it will be he whom you suppose. If you leave children, perhaps they will be beaten, and driven weeping from their ancestral home by some covetous man like you. But if, being childless, you mean to transmit the inheritance to one of your friends, do not regard your will as an immutable law, a thin! g strong and incapable of being set aside. It will require but little exertion to make the writing invalid. Do you not see those who are constantly contesting wills in the courts, how by all kinds of attacks they wrest them by putting forward as advocates skilful lawyers, invoking the aid of eloquent orators, suborning witnesses, corrupting judges? So from what you see while you are alive, learn what will happen after you are dead. If you have gotten your wealth justly, use it, as did the blessed Job, for needful purposes; if unjustly, restore it to those who have been defrauded of it, as you would a thing captured in war, giving back either just what you took, or that with som! ething added, as did Zacchaeus (Lk. 19:8). If you have no wealth, do not get any by wickedness. For as you go the inevitable way, your sin, a bitter portion, will follow you, while the enjoyment of your ill-gotten gains will be left behind for whom you know not. And then you will admire David because he says, "He heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them" (Ps. 38: 7 [LXX]). And observe also the rich man contrasted with Lazarus, of whom we have just read in the Gospels,----a narrative which is no fable composed to inspire terror, but a true picture transmitted to us of what is to be.

The fine linen perished, the kingdom departed to another, the luxuries passed away; but the sin of them went with him, as a person's shadow follows him when walking. And for this reason, after his extravagant banquets, and his luxurious table, he begs for a drop of water that falls from a leper's finger, and calls to alleviate his punishment the beggar who, perhaps, when he lay at the gate, did not even have hands; for surely if he had had them he would have driven away the dogs that licked his sores. And he desires to join Lazarus, seeing him on the other side, and is hindered by the ditch or gulf between them, which was no hole that had been digged! nor artificial ditch like that which one can see between hostile camps in war. But the Scripture, I think, means that his sins were the obstacle that cut off the approach of the condemned to the righteous. And the prophet Isaiah sets his seal to my interpretation, when he sternly rebukes a foolish people and says, "Is the Lord's hand shortened, that it cannot save? Or is his ear heavy, that it cannot hear? But your sins stand between you and God" (Is. 59: 1-2 [LXX]). But if sin is able to separate men from God, nothing can be more sinful than covetousness, which Paul, the herald of the truth, truly calls idolatry, and the root and parent of all evils.

For how are those drawn into the service of demons who were once of the company of Christians and partakers in the mysteries? Is it not by the desire of acquiring great wealth, and of becoming masters of what belongs to others? Upon receiving from godless and impious men promises either of official preferment or of wealth from royal treasuries, they quickly put off their religion as a garment. And such examples occurring in previous times, memory and tradition have preserved and handed down to us. And there are also instances which belong to our own generation, and are within the range of our experience. For when that emperor (Julian the Apostate) wh! o all at once cast aside the character of a Christian, and disclosed the farce he had long been acting, himself shamelessly sacrificed to demons, and offered many gifts to those who were willing to do the same, how many left the church and ran to pagan altars! How many, taking the bait of emolument, swallowed with it the hook of apostasy, and branded with disgrace are wandering about among the towns, objects of hatred; pointed at as betrayers of Christ, for the sake of a little money; stricken from the list of Christians, as was Judas from the roll of the apostles; known by the name of apostate, as horses are known by the marks branded upon them; who simply allowed themselves to be! drawn into the basest of all sin s, and promptly followed the teacher of unhallowed and abominable impiety!

Thus, therefore, as the Apostle says, covetousness is idolatry also (Eph. 5:5), and is the root of all evils (1 Tim. 6:10), generating untold iniquities. For as those who seek gold in the bowels of the earth say that the gold-bearing rock lies in great quantities at its very source and the place of its origin, and thence in veins, one running this way and another that, extends to a great distance, and is prolonged in many ramifications, somewhat as the roots of trees diverge from the trunk, so here, while I see many offshoots, I find them all bound together in one root, covetousness. Indeed, with no impropriety does a sermon against covetousness draw! its illustration from gold. For gold I see the parricide taking violent steps against his father's life, reverencing neither the hoary head, nor the paternal dignity, but vexed at the lengthening life of the old man. For seeing everything abundant at home, yet having no authority over what he sees, he longs to be master of this paternal wealth, and finds his father's authority irksome. At first he keeps silent, and represses the malady of covetousness in the depths of his soul; but after his desire has increased with time, and his soul is filled with it, all at once he lets the wickedness break forth, as waters break through their embankments. And thereafter he behaves insufferably to his father, all but driving him to the grave, while he is still ali ve and well. If he mounts his horse with agility, the son is astounded; if he eats heartily, his son murmurs. If he early arouses the servants to their duties, the son is grieved by the alertness and vigor of the old man. But if he gives away any of his property, or releases a servant from bondage, then indeed as silly and half-witted and living beyond the proper limits of life, and as a squanderer of what belongs to another, he must listen to every impious reproach, and be blackguarded like a drunkard, and upbraided for not dying soon enough.

This is your fruit, O abominable covetousness! Spurred on by you, the child becomes his parent's enemy. You fill the earth with robbers and murderers, and the sea with pirates, cities with tumult, courts with false witnesses, false accusers, betrayers, advocates, and judges who incline whichever way you draw them. Covetousness is the mother of inequality, unmerciful, hating mankind, most cruel. On account of it, the life of men is full of inequality. Some being surfeited, loathe the abundance of their possessions, as one disgorges food which has been too greedily swallowed; while others are in peril through extreme hunger and want. Some lie down un! der gilded roofs and live in houses that are like small cities, adorned with sumptuous baths and chambers, and most extensive porches, and every kind of extravagance, while others have not the shelter of two boards. When they cannot live in open air, they either take refuge beside the furnaces of the baths, or, finding the attendants of the baths inhospitable, they dig into the dung like swine, and so contrive to get for themselves the needful warmth. Such is the marked disparity in the conditions of life, between men created equal in worth, and the cause of this disordered and anomalous state of things is nothing else than covetousness. One is put to shame by his naked limbs; the ot! her, beside having almost countless garments, dresses his walls with purple hangings. The poor man has not on his wooden table any bread to break; while the luxurious man sitting at his broad silver table is delighted with its glitter. How much more just it would be that the poor man should feast to the full on the other's luxury, and that the support of the needy should be the decoration of the rich man's table! One man, aged and unable to walk, or lame by reason of some outrageous mutilation, does not possess the ass that he needs to carry him about, while another does not know his droves of horses for their very multitude. One lacks oil to light his lamps, while another has a fortune simply in lamp-stands. One has only the ground for his bed, while he who is unreasonably rich, is dazzled by the splendor of his couch, with its silver balls and chains instead of cords. These are the results of insatiable covetousness. For had it not introduced inequality into life, these anomalous heights and depths would not have existed, nor would manifold misfortunes have made our life joyless and tearful.

On account of covetousness men lose their natural friendship for one another, and whet their swords and array themselves against each other and like wild beasts fight one another with great ferocity. But how can one relate the consequences of these things? Massive walls are thrown down by engines, cities are taken, women led captives, and children enslaved. The land is wasted and ravaged, and the trees are warred against as though they were wrong-doers. There is great slaughter of those who are in the prime of life, and torrents of blood stream from the wretched corpses; and the wealth of the conquered is the victors' prize. There are, moreover, the lamentations of widows, the tears of orphans, who bewail at once both their fathers and their freedom. He who was day before yesterday possessor of great wealth, stretches forth his right hand to beg a bit of bread, and he who had many slaves at the loom, and houses full of garments, now clothed in rags does the work of a slave, forced to carry water and scrape the dung from the stable, and to perform most menial duties. There are besides countless evils which it is impossible to compass all at once. But of all of these, the beginning and cause and root is greed, unrighteous love of the goods that belong to another. And if any one should extirpate this passion from the human heart, profound peace would be inevitably introduced into our life, and wars a nd tumults would be banished from among men, and all would return to the natural condition of love and friendliness. On this account, our Lord also carefully heals this disease, once declaring in his teachings; "Ye cannot serve God and mammon" (Lk. 16:13); and on another occasion declaring wretched the rich man who was just about to die, even as he was picturing to himself the protracted enjoyment of luxury (Lk. 12:20); and elsewhere teaching that that man was perfect who divided all that he had among the needy, and went over to a self-denying life, which is the mother and companion of virtue (Matt. 19:21).

wisdom, get the gift of the plowman prophet, which could not be taken away from him who had received it For the possessions which you so eagerly desire are beset with countless risks; thieves who break into houses, tyrants who confiscate, flatterers who plot, the sea that overwhelms, and the earth that quakes and yawns. Therefore let the right hand of God be the hope and treasury of men,----the hand that led his people out of Egypt (Ex. 14), and in the desert provided abundance of good things (Ex. 16; Num. 11), which brought Habakkuk to Daniel, (cf. Daniel [LXX]) and preserved Ishmael when he had been cast down from his mother's arms (Gen. 21:15-19); which provides for those of every generation; and which, finally, multiplied five barley loaves so that they equaled a great harvest, and one loaf supplied a thousand hungry men and filled a basket with fragments besides (Jn. 6:9-13). Now to our God be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Monastery News:

Vladyka Gregory will be leaving for a trip tomorrow. We ask that you all pray for his safe travel. Vladyka will be receiving new clergy into our Church, and ordaining others. We will be posting updates to the trip whenever we hear news from Vladyka, throughout the week. We will include the updates in next week's news section.

As we said last week, work is progressing upon the new building. The water was turned on, and the boiler was installed, and, for the first time, we have heat in the building. It took the boiler forty-eight hours to heat the slab and, thereby, heat the building. Another crew of dry-wallers came to cover up the nail holes and to tape the seams. This requires three steps/days to complete so that the interior of the building can be painted. So much dry wall mud was applied, however, that the moisture inside the building was excessive, so that the drying process, which normally takes one day, took three days. It will be completed this week, Lord willing. Painting would then start on Tuesday. That also should be completed this week.

Please pray for:

Our Vladika Metropolitan Valentine, and Father Dionysios' daughter, Helen. Also, for Vladika Gregory, Father Michael, and Father Peter, for their safe travels.

Calendar of Events for the Coming Week:

Wednesday is the Feast-Day of St. Barbara the Great-Martyr and of the great St. John of Damascus - fish, wine, and oil are permitted. Friday is the Feast-Day of the great St. Nicholas the Wonder-worker of Myra - fish, wine, and oil are also permitted.

Crumbs from the Trapeza:

Excerpt from the Life of St. Iakovos the Anchorite (+466):
"The assaults and wars by which the man of God was tried by the demons were many, of which we shall narrate a couple of instances here. He would say, "When I first entered upon this way of life, I used to see before my face a certain naked man, who in appearance was like an Ethiopian, with fire shooting forth out of his eyes. Whenever I saw him, I was filled with fear and began praying. I, however, was unable to eat, because every time it was my customary hour to eat, then he appeared before me. Now after the passage of seven and eight and then ten days during which I remained fasting, I disdained the apparition of the demon and sat down and ate. He nonetheless could not bear my lordliness over him and threatened to thrash me with a rod. I then said to him, `If, on the one hand, God, the Master of all, has permitted thee to raise the rod against me, I shall receive the blow with joy, as though it were bestowed upon me by the Lord Himself; if, on the other hand,! God has not given thee leave, thou wilt not strike, though thou shouldest be raging mad ten thousand times over. "' On hearing this, the demon departed…."
(From The Great Synaxaristes of the Orthodox Church, November Volume, Holy Apostles Convent: Buena Vista, 2003; p. 941.)

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

In Christ,

+Bishop Gregory and those with me

Julianna

December 15/28, 2003

Post by Julianna »

December 15/28, 2003
Beloved Clergy and Parishioners in the Lord, Grace and Peace be with you.

Greetings in Christ from Dormition Skete. We hope and pray that you are all well, advancing in the grace of God, day by day growing in love for God and each other.

SUNDAY OF THE TWENTY-EIGHTH WEEK
The Reading is from the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Colossians [§ 250]. Brethren:
1 12Give thanks to the God and Father Who rendereth us sufficient for the portion of the lot of the saints in the light, 13Who delivered us from the power of the darkness and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in Whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, 15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For in Him were all things created, the things in the heavens and the things upon the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or authorities. All things through Him and to Him have been created. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things have come into existence. 18And He is the head of the body, the Church, Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in a! ll things He might come to hold first place.

SUNDAY OF THE ELEVENTH WEEK
The Reading is from the Holy Gospel according to Saint Luke [§ 76]. The Lord said this parable:
14 16"A certain man made a great supper and invited many. 17"And he sent forth his slave at the hour of the supper to say to those who were invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' 18"And they all with one accord began to beg for themselves to be excused. The first said to him, 'I bought a field, and I have need to go out and to see it; I beg thee, have me excused.' 19"And another said, 'I bought five pairs of oxen, and I go to prove them; I beg thee, have me excused.' 20"And another said, 'I married a wife, and on this account I am not able to come.' 21"And that slave came to his lord and reported these things. Then the master of the house, having been provoked to anger, said to his slave, 'Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and maimed and lame and blind.' 22"And the sl! ave said, 'Lord, it hath been done as thou commandest, and still there is room.' 23"And the lord said to the slave, 'Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house might be filled. 24"'For I say to you that not one of those men who were invited shall taste of my supper.'
"For many are called, but few are chosen [Mt. 22:14]."

Code: Select all

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
 We received this week the Nativity Epistle of our Metropolitan, and we are offering you the English translation below.

+
Nativity Epistle

Of His Eminence Valentine, Metropolitan of Suzdal and Vladimir, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church

To All Faithful Children of the Church of Christ, in the Fatherland and in the Diaspora

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace,
good will among men." (Lk. 2:14)

Beloved in the Lord, my dear brethren-Archpastors, zealous Pastors and Servants before the Altar of the Lord, Reverend Monks and Nuns, Brothers and Sisters, Faithful Children of the Church of Christ!

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:3) I make bold to address you with this sacred Apostolic greeting in this "chosen and holy day" of the great feast of the Lord's Nativity. Reliving this great event yet again, and contemplating it with the eyes of the spirit, this event that has become the central point of all human history, we are filled with reverent trepidation and holy joy. With trepidation-because the great mystery of God's incarnation is unfathomable; with joy-because we are no longer alone in the face of ! death and evil, "for God is with us!"
 I would remind you, beloved, of the words that the Angel of God pronounced-that bright herald of heavenly mysteries-almost two thousand years ago. These words were directed to all people, but firstly to Christians, that is, to you and to me. "I announce to you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people; for a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord, was born to you today in the city of David. And this shall be a sign to you: ! Ye shall find the newborn Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in the manger." (Lk. 2:10-12) The first to hear these words were the pious shepherds of Bethlehem, who with contrite hearts entered into the humble cave of Bethlehem and worshiped the Divine Infant. But how much more blessed are we, who not only worship our incarnate Lord and Savior, but also commune His honorable Body and Blood, becoming one flesh with Him! Here, in this holy temple, in this dwelling place of God's glory, on the holy altar table, surrounded by the bodiless powers who are unseen by the eyes of flesh, as once in the cav! e of Bethlehem, lies the very King of Glory-He Who created the heavens and the earth, Who gifted us with life, even unto eternity. "For verily I say to you that many prophets and righteous ones desired to see what ye see, and saw not, and to hear what ye hear, and heard not. (Mt. 13:17)
 Can it be that we "who are burdened by our abundant sins" are to be found more worthy than the great prophets and righteous saints of the Old Testament with whom God conversed "face to face?" Of course not! The closer that we come to the end of time, we see that lawlessness only increases in the world and this dramatic process cannot but involve us as well. Without question, the prophets and the righteous of the Old Testament lead incomparably holier lives than we do, and were incomparably more worthy of the grace of the New Testament, the fulfillment of which is the Divine mystery of the Eucharist. But the judgments of God are in! scrutable-in His limitless mercy, the Lord has arranged things in such a way that it has been given to us, with all of our sins and vices, with all of our weaknesses and passions, to venerate His Nativity, His Resurrection, and even to unite with Him in the most intimate way through the reception of His Body and Blood. Think for a moment about how enormous and limitless our gratitude to God should be for this! Even if we should dedicate the entire remaining portion of our lives to the fervent service of God, spending it in fasting and unceasing prayer, it would seem too meager a sacrifice in comparison with the sacrifice which was offered on Golgotha for the sins of all people. We ! should always remember this and n ever consider ourselves worthy of communing with the Divine and abiding within the confines of the Church of Christ which receives us with the loving care of a parent, even with all of our vices.
 We meet the present feast alarmed by thoughts about our brothers who once dwelt together with us within the confines of the saving Church, who once communed with us from one chalice, but who are now rushing headlong into the abyss of heresy and of apostasy. Sad tidings have reached us this Nativity Fast from America where the bishops and priests of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, once famed for their unassailable Orthodoxy, seem to have decided to unite with the Moscow Patriarchate, which they have now begun to refer to as no less than the "Church in Russia." It was not so very long ago that this very Russian Orthodox Chu! rch Outside of Russia helped many of us, the Orthodox in Russia, and in other countries of the world, to open our eyes to the fact that the Moscow Patriarchate is not the true Church of Christ. The God-inspired writings of the great fathers of the Russian diaspora, whose assembly is now headed by our Father among the Saints Philaret, Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York, a wonderworker, were and remain for us a pure source of the Truth of the Church. And the truth is that, in the twentieth century, a time during which godless atheism raged over the unfortunate land of Russia, the Russian Church was forcibly divided and almost completely destroyed as a result of seventy years ! of bloody persecutions. During the tyrant, Stalin, who had annihilated millions of people, including the New Martyrs of Russia, took a handful of surviving clergymen-frightened and unwilling-and founded his false church which began to pretend to be the Russian Orthodox Church. The real Russian Church went underground, into the catacombs, and the persecution waged against her neither ceased nor decreased over the course of the entire Soviet period, in spite of several "thaws" and reforms. And this tragic division was always witnessed to by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which in its synodal documents confessed spir! itual unity with the Catacomb Church, but labeled the Moscow Patriarchate as the "church of evil doers" and as a heretical organization.
 The heresy of the Moscow Patriarchate became especially evident to the Orthodox people of the Russian diaspora when in 1961 it (the MP) joined the World Council of Churches-an organization uniting every conceivable kind of heretic, and having as its aim the foundation of "one Christian Church," into which would be incorporated all of the ancient and newest heresies and false teachings. Not being content to wait for the establishment of this "universal church," the members of the World Council of Churches began to pray together and even to perform so-called "sacraments," which things are strictly forbidden by the holy Apostles an! d the Ecumenical Councils. Thus, the "Orthodox" members of the World Council of Churches, including the Moscow Patriarchate, clearly severed their ties to the holy Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils, and thereby to Orthodoxy. This is exactly what was taught by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which in 1983, on the initiative of St. Philaret, anathematized ecumenism, i.e., gave over to ecclesiastical condemnation and excommunication all who took part in the World Council of Churches and the ecumenical movement. Until this day the Moscow Patriarchate remains a member of the World Council of Churches, and some of her hierarchs and priests make up the leadership of th! at heretical organization. And the Met. Laurus-without formally abrogating the anathema against ecumenism, has announced its approaching unification with the ecumenists. Is this not a classic example of what is called in the Order of the Mystery of Confession "falling under one's own anathema?" In their blindness, the leaders of the Russian Church Abroad "didn't notice" that at the same time that their delegation was meeting in Moscow, an ecumenical "theological conference" was also being held which had been opened by the patriarch. Similarly, the leaders of the Russian Church Abroad are now ready to "swallow" any apo! stasy of the Moscow Patriarchate. And this means that despite the hopes of the "zealots" within the Moscow Patriarchate itself, after uniting with her, the hierarchs of the Church Abroad will become some of the most submissive and silent, in relation to the betrayals of Orthodoxy.
 For more than seventy years, the Russian Church Abroad was the custodian of the pure repository of the true Orthodox Faith, and the whole Orthodox world looked up to her with respect and hope. How sad she appears now after her rejection of her great inheritance, in her role as a humiliated petitioner for mercy from the likes of the Moscow Patriarchate. It makes your heart bleed when you look upon such an "abomination of desolation,…standing in the holy place" (Mt. 24:15). Indeed, the fall of the Church Abroad is a phenomenon more tragic and-I would even say-apocalyptic, than the fall of the Moscow Patriarchate, which from its inception in 1943, was "conceived in iniquities" and "born in sins." The Russian Church Abroad, for almost all of the twentieth century, shone like a torch of Orthodoxy, and for this reason the satanic crime which her present day "blind leaders" are committing is frightening and unforgivable. Metropolitan Laurus, Archbishop Mark, Archbishop Hilarion, Bishop Kyril-having kissed the hand of the impostor-patriarch Alexis-give the impression of people who have lost their sight, hearing, and have lost all common sense, not to mention their Orthodox Faith. They have likened themselves to the people who were reproached by the prophet Jeremiah,! when he said: "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not" (Jer. 5:21). Hear now, O hierarchs and clergy of the Russian Church Abroad, not our lowly voice, which for a long time now has meant nothing to you, but the trumpet blast of your own fathers. Hear how your first First Hierarch, the blessed Metropolitan Anthony, implored by the Living God the founder of the Moscow Patriarchate, Sergius (Stragorodsky) to follow the path of the New Martyrs and not betray the Church into the hands of the atheists. Read the sacred lines of the spiritual last will and testament of your second First Hierarch, Metropolitan Anastassy, who forbade not onl! y prayerful, but even simple everyday communion with the false church, founded by Stalin. Behold the incorrupt relics of the great zealot for Orthodoxy St. Metropolitan Philaret, whom you sacrilegiously buried in the crypt of the cathedral church of the monastery in Jordanville! Do you think that you will escape hearing his ominous anathema when you stand before the throne of the King of Heaven where this great God-pleaser now stands pouring out bitter tears over your inglorious end?
 Look into the eyes of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia-both those who were "glorified" hypocritically by the Moscow Patriarchate without first repenting, and those whom they continue to blaspheme. What do you expect to hear from that "Divine Army," the many millions of Saints "of whom the whole world was not worthy" when you try to justify your treachery? For now you are about to cross the threshold of that same Moscow Patriarchate, for which many bishops, priests, and lay people, the salt of the Russian land, because they refused to recognize her, were summarily shot, without any trial or due process. You kiss the cold ! hand of the successor of that same Sergius who once openly, before the entire world, renounced the New Martyrs and blasphemed them saying that they were political criminals, and that the Church distances itself from them. And this at the same moment when these New Martyrs were witnessing to their fidelity to Christ and His Church by incredible sufferings!
 You, the unworthy successor to the former glory of the Russian Church Abroad, sing Hosanna and Many Years to the so-called "most holy patriarch" who not only has never uttered a word of repentance for directly collaborating with the KGB (formerly the NKVD), but has increased his apostasies since the fall of the Soviet authorities. In 1990, none other than the present leader of the Moscow Patriarchate announced, while speaking before a group of rabbis in New York, that he and the followers of the Talmud have but "one father." But was it not the Lord Himself Who said to the Jews who rejected Him that their father was the devil? Under ! Alexis II, the Moscow Patriarchate signed two unions: the Chambesy Union with the Monophysites, and the Balamand Union with the Catholics. This is the same false patriarch Alexis who covers over all of the transgressions of the post-Soviet authorities, because of which a large portion of the Russian people continue to suffer.
  And finally, you, the church of Met. Laurus, are betraying your own flock in Russia, which trusted you and which now, it seems, is not even worthy of being called "the Church in Russia!" What will become of this admittedly little flock which consciously chose to depart from the unrighteousness of the Moscow Patriarchate, but has now suddenly found itself to be unneeded and even a "liability" for its own church leaders? At the Last Judgment, each pastor must give an answer for every soul that has been destroyed and betrayed by him, for the entire world is not worth even one human soul.
 The spiritual essence of what is now taking place with the Russian Church Abroad is clear-it is part of the process of the worldwide apostasy from the Truth which will precede the glorious Second Coming of Christ. The Savior forewarned us about this saying: "When the Son of Man cometh, shall He find the Faith on the earth?" (Lk. 18:8) Alas, it is already the case in this imperfect world, which reposeth in evil, that the "little flock" of true Orthodox Christians is getting smaller and smaller, and it is becoming more and more difficult for it to survive under these conditions of universal apostasy. Nevertheless, besides the spiritua! l aspect, the process of unification between the Russian Church Abroad and the Moscow Patriarchate has another, purely secular, mercantile side to it. Apparently, this secular concern controls the activities of the hierarchs of the synod of Met. Laurus, which from a spiritual point of view, appear completely absurd and unnatural. The secular aspect of this process results in the fact that over the course of the past few years, the Russian Church Abroad has consistently been losing its properties and flocks abroad. This may be explained by the fact that the major portion of the Russian emigration is now comprised of people who have emigrated recently from Russia, where they were raise! d and educated under the Soviet regime. For the majority of these people, those ideals which were insisted upon in the past by the Russian Church Abroad, have no meaning, and the Church for them now is simply a "link to the motherland." Besides this, the Moscow Patriarchate is also very actively opening new parishes abroad, and snatching away the properties of the Russian Church Abroad. Thus the leadership of the Russian Church Abroad is compelled to "capitulate" in order not to lose the latter. This means that the underlying stimuli for the "reunification" that is taking place are not spiritual, theological, canonical, or even patriotic ones, but purely economic and financial ones. And this imparts a certain cynicism to the betrayal that is! being carried out, and to the self destruction of the Russian Church Abroad.
 The fatal mistake of the leadership of the Russian Church Abroad was made in 1994, when it actually pushed away its faithful children in Russia who were then joining her in droves. After the fall of the Soviet regime, the future of the Russian Church Abroad was only in Russia whither she was to have returned the unspoiled repository of Orthodoxy which she had been keeping. And the process of this return had already been begun-in just a few short years there appeared hundreds of Orthodox parishes and communities which had renounced the heretical Moscow Patriarchate and had joined themselves to the Russian Church Abroad. Such a development of! events, threatening the Moscow Patriarchate itself with ruin, frightened many of those in power-both in the church and in the government. With the help of various provocations and slanders, the seeds of mistrust between the parts of the Church in the Russian homeland and abroad were sown, and soon afterward, the Church abroad set out on the course of compromise and rapprochement with the Moscow Patriarchate, which had never been an acceptable possibility for the part of the Church in the Russian homeland from the beginning. But in any case, the Russian Church Abroad did manage to return the repository of unspoiled Orthodoxy to the Russian homeland, even if only at the last moment. C! anonical episcopal consecrations were performed, and the living bearer of the great tradition of the Russian Church Abroad-the ever-memorable Bishop Gregory (Grabbe)-not long before his repose, bound to a wheelchair, visited Suzdal, where he blessed the path of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Thus, the thread of succession, stretching from Apostolic times, through the pre-revolutionary Russian Church, through the Church of the New Martyrs and the Russian Church Abroad, was transferred to us. The repository was returned to the homeland, and the historical mission of the Russian Church Abroad was accomplished.
 Many of the great Churches of the past fell away into heresy or ceased to exist. Before the end of time, only the Universal Church of Christ will survive, but independent Local Churches can come and go. Now that the Russian Church Abroad has fallen from Orthodoxy, an especially providential mission has been placed upon us, dear hierarchs, fathers, brothers and sisters. We should do everything possible, and everything that is not possible, in order to preserve the true Orthodox Faith without any distortions, modernizations, and false interpretations. And if it is ordained that Russia should experience a renaissance, then this will only happe! n on the foundation of true Orthodoxy which our Church confesses and preaches. However, our preaching should not be confined by the traditional territorial borders of the Russian Church. Now, when the official local churches have fallen away from Orthodoxy, our preaching should resound across the entire world, "from the rising of the sun to the setting thereof." And we note with joy the increasing numbers of our flocks abroad-in places like America, Western Europe, Bulgaria, Korea, etc. We should be prepared for the task that the Lord has assigned to our Church in particular-to continue the service of the Russian Church Abroad, even beyond the borders of our homeland.
 I call upon you, beloved brethren and children, to increase your prayers for the salvation of all true Orthodox believers, who for one reason or another continue to remain aboard the sinking ship that is the Russian Church Abroad. It is necessary to serve special moliebens to ask God's help for those people in their imminent search for the path which leads to the true Church. May the Lord enlighten our brothers abroad so that we might one day again, with one mouth and with one heart, glorify Christ our Savior with the words of the angelic doxology of the feast of the Nativity: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill amo! ngst men."

Beloved in the Lord children of the Church of Christ!

Once again, I sincerely and heartily greet you with the light-bearing and saving feast of the Nativity of Christ! With all of my soul, I wish all of you good health, the salvation of your souls, perseverance and courage, and also spiritual discretion which is the mother of all virtues!

With enormous love and care for your salvation,

Lowly Valentine,
Metropolitan of Suzdal and Vladimir,
First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church

Church / Monastery News:

Vladika Gregory just came back from a trip to Bulgaria, and here are the official announcements concerning his pastoral trip.  

Four More Priests Added to the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church in Bulgaria
 His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, on a recent pastoral visit to Bulgaria, ordained two candidates to the priesthood and received two priests from the Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece, Lamian Synod.
 On the 15th of December, Vladyka Gregory traveled to Bulgaria, where he visited the Church of All Saints in Sofia, headed by Father Lyudmil Petrov. Father Lyudmil was the dean of the Theological Academy of Sofia before he entered the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Vladyka Gregory visited the newly acquired buildings for the future home of the parish of All Saints on the outskirts of Sofia.
 On the feast of Saint Nicholas of Myra, Vladyka Gregory ordained to the holy priesthood Father John Latkovsky. On the following Sunday, Vladyka also ordained to the holy priesthood Father Radoslav (Haralambos) Ivanov. Father John is a teacher at the Theological Academy in Sofia and Father Radoslav is a student studying for his Master's Degree in Theology at the Academy as well.
 On Monday, December 22nd, Vladyka Gregory traveled to the city of Razgrad, where he received into the ROAC the priest Roman Constantinov and his parish of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary in the ancient Byzantine city of Silistra. Vladyka Gregory also received at the same time the priest Stefan Vasillev of Razgrad, and his parish of the Protomartyr Stephen. Both these priests come from the GOC of Greece, Lamian Synod.
 We give thanks to God that the growth of the Church in Bulgaria has proceeded so well, to the extent that the ROAC now has five priests in this ancient Orthodox country. Those seeking true Orthodoxy are beginning to understand the seriousness of the heresies of the new calendar Church and the Cyprianites, and are finding refuge in the bosom of our holy Church.

Announcement

The Ordination of Father Ivan Ivanov Latkovsky
 On the Feast of Saint Nicholas, 6/19 December, 2003, Vladyka Gregory ordained to the holy priesthood John Ivanov Latkovsky. Father John graduated the Theological Academy in Sofia in 1996 with a Master's Degree in Theology. In 1998 Father John was asked to be assistant professor at the Theological School and is presently working towards his Doctorate in Orthodox Ecclesiology. Father John is married to the handmaid of God Georgia, and has a lovely one-year-old daughter, Sofia. Father John, who is thirty years old, will be the assistant priest of Father Lyudmil at the parish Church of All Saints in Sofia, Bulgaria.
 www.roacamerica.org/pic/30-Vladyka,-Fr.jpg

Announcement

On Sunday, 7/20 December, 2003, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, ordained to the Holy Priesthood Father Haralambos Radoslav Ivanov. Father Haralambos, who is 38 years old, is married to the handmaid of God Maria and is blessed to have a young teenage daughter, Christina. Father Haralambos completed studies at the Sofia Ecclesiastical Academy in 2001 and is now a student working towards his Master's Degree in Theology.
 Father Haralambos comes to us from the Greek Old Calendar Synods of Met. Cyprian and Archbishop Chrysostom Kiousis. After his training and graduation, Father Haralambos will be living in the town of Krumovgrad, located in southern Bulgaria. He will be starting a church in honor of the holy Great Martyr Haralambos.
 www.roacamerica.org/pic/FatherHaralambos.jpg

Announcement

On Monday, December 22nd, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, visited the Bulgarian city of Razgrad. There he accepted into the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church Father Roman Lazarov Constantinov and his parish of the Dormition of the Mother of God in Silistra.
 Father Roman, who is 49 years old, was born in the ancient Byzantine city of Silistra, on the border of Bulgaria and Romania. He attended seminary in 1985 and married the handmaid of God Marianka in 1987. They have two daughters, Catherine, 13 years old, and Theodora, 8 years old. He was ordained in 1987 in the new calendar Bulgarian church.
 In 1992, after understanding the true path of Orthodoxy, he abandoned the new calendar Church and was received into the GOC of Greece, Lamian Synod, and started to follow the Old Calendar. He built a chapel next to his home in Silistra and has over twenty parishioners. After being placed under the ecumenical Bishop Gervasi, Father Roman sought to be united with the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church and was received.
 www.roacamerica.org/pic/FrRoman.jpg

Here is a picture of Fr. Stefan:
www.roacamerica.org/pic/FatherStefan.jpg
Announcement

On Monday, December 22nd, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, visited the Bulgarian city of Razgrad, 350 kilometers from Sofia. There he accepted into the Church the archpriest Stefan Radev Vassilev, who is in the process of building a Church in honor of St. Stephen, in the city of Razgrad. He is married to the handmaid of God Vasilissa and has two children who are now adults.
 Father Stefan who is 45 years old, was ordained in the official Church of Bulgaria in 1988. He understood the falseness of the ecumenical church he was in, and in 1995 joined the Greek Old Calendar Church, Lamian Synod. When that Church accepted Bishop Gervasi without proper investigation, Father Stefan was placed under him. Bishop Gervasi had lied to the Synod in Greece and was simultaneously a member of the new calendar synod in Bulgaria. Because of this unacceptable condition, Father Stefan petitioned Vladyka Gregory two months ago to be accepted into the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Father Stefan is an accomplished carpenter and electrician and will do the construction of his new church himself with the help of parishioners.

Please pray for:
Our Vladika Metropolitan Valentine, Father Dionysios' daughter, Helen.

Calendar of Events for Upcoming Week:
Friday is the Feast of Saint John of Kronstadt. You can have wine and oil.

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.

In Christ,

+Bishop Gregory, and those with me.

Julianna

December 15/28, 2003

Post by Julianna »

December 15/28, 2003

SUNDAY OF THE TWENTY-EIGHTH WEEK

The Reading is from the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Colossians [§ 250]. Brethren:

1  12Give thanks to the God and Father Who rendereth us sufficient for the portion of the lot of the saints in the light, 13Who delivered us from the power of the darkness and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in Whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, 15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16For in Him were all things created, the things in the heavens and the things upon the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or authorities. All things through Him and to Him have been created. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things have come into existence. 18And He is the head of the body, the Church, Who is thebeginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He might come to hold first place.

SUNDAY OF THE ELEVENTH WEEK

The Reading is from the Holy Gospel according to Saint Luke [§ 76]. The Lord said this parable:

14  16“A certain man made a great supper and invited many. 17“And he sent forth his slave at the hour of the supper to say to those who were invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 18“And they all with one accord began to beg for themselves to be excused. The first said to him, ‘I bought a field, and I have need to go out and to see it; I beg thee, have me excused.’ 19“And another said, ‘I bought five pairs of oxen, and I go to prove them; I beg thee, have me excused.’ 20“And another said, ‘I married a wife, and on this account I am not able to come.’ 21“And that slave came to his lord and reported these things. Then the master of the house, having been provoked to anger, said to his slave, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and maimed and lame and blind.’ 22“And the slave said, ‘Lord, it hath been done as thou commandest, and still there is room.’ 23“And the lord said to the slave, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house might be filled. 24“‘For I say to you that not one of those men who were invited shall taste of my supper.’

“For many are called, but few are chosen [Mt. 22:14].”
      In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

We received this week the Nativity Epistle of our Metropolitan, and we are offering you the English translation below.

+

Nativity Epistle

Of His Eminence Valentine, Metropolitan of Suzdal and Vladimir, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church

To All Faithful Children of the Church of Christ, in the Fatherland and in the Diaspora
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will among men.” (Lk. 2:14)

Beloved in the Lord, my dear brethren—Archpastors, zealous Pastors and Servants before the Altar of the Lord, Reverend Monks and Nuns, Brothers and Sisters, Faithful Children of the Church of Christ!

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:3) I make bold to address you with this sacred Apostolic greeting in this “chosen and holy day” of the great feast of the Lord’s Nativity. Reliving this great event yet again, and contemplating it with the eyes of the spirit, this event that has become the central point of all human history, we are filled with reverent trepidation and holy joy. With trepidation—because the great mystery of God’s incarnation is unfathomable; with joy—because we are no longer alone in the face of death and evil, “for God is with us!”

I would remind you, beloved, of the words that the Angel of God pronounced—that bright herald of heavenly mysteries—almost two thousand years ago. These words were directed to all people, but firstly to Christians, that is, to you and to me. “I announce to you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people; for a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord, was born to you today in the city of David. And this shall be a sign to you: Ye shall find the newborn Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in the manger.” (Lk. 2:10-12) The first to hear these words were the pious shepherds of Bethlehem, who with contrite hearts entered into the humble cave of Bethlehem and worshiped the Divine Infant. But how much more blessed are we, who not only worship our incarnate Lord and Savior, but also commune His honorable Body and Blood, becoming one flesh with Him! Here, in this holy temple, in this dwelling place of God’s glory, on the holy altar table, surrounded by the bodiless powers who are unseen by the eyes of flesh, as once in the cave of Bethlehem, lies the very King of Glory—He Who created the heavens and the earth, Who gifted us with life, even unto eternity. “For verily I say to you that many prophets and righteous ones desired to see what ye see, and saw not, and to hear what ye hear, and heard not. (Mt. 13:17)

Can it be that we “who are burdened by our abundant sins” are to be found more worthy than the great prophets and righteous saints of the Old Testament with whom God conversed “face to face?” Of course not! The closer that we come to the end of time, we see that lawlessness only increases in the world and this dramatic process cannot but involve us as well. Without question, the prophets and the righteous of the Old Testament lead incomparably holier lives than we do, and were incomparably more worthy of the grace of the New Testament, the fulfillment of which is the Divine mystery of the Eucharist. But the judgments of God are inscrutable—in His limitless mercy, the Lord has arranged things in such a way that it has been given to us, with all of our sins and vices, with all of our weaknesses and passions, to venerate His Nativity, His Resurrection, and even to unite with Him in the most intimate way through the reception of His Body and Blood. Think for a moment about how enormous and limitless our gratitude to God should be for this! Even if we should dedicate the entire remaining portion of our lives to the fervent service of God, spending it in fasting and unceasing prayer, it would seem too meager a sacrifice in comparison with the sacrifice which was offered on Golgotha for the sins of all people. We should always remember this and never consider ourselves worthy of communing with the Divine and abiding within the confines of the Church of Christ which receives us with the loving care of a parent, even with all of our vices.

We meet the present feast alarmed by thoughts about our brothers who once dwelt together with us within the confines of the saving Church, who once communed with us from one chalice, but who are now rushing headlong into the abyss of heresy and of apostasy. Sad tidings have reached us this Nativity Fast from America where the bishops and priests of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, once famed for their unassailable Orthodoxy, seem to have decided to unite with the Moscow Patriarchate, which they have now begun to refer to as no less than the “Church in Russia.” It was not so very long ago that this very Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia helped many of us, the Orthodox in Russia, and in other countries of the world, to open our eyes to the fact that the Moscow Patriarchate is not the true Church of Christ. The God-inspired writings of the great fathers of the Russian diaspora, whose assembly is now headed by our Father among the Saints Philaret, Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York, a wonderworker, were and remain for us a pure source of the Truth of the Church. And the truth is that, in the twentieth century, a time during which godless atheism raged over the unfortunate land of Russia, the Russian Church was forcibly divided and almost completely destroyed as a result of seventy years of bloody persecutions. During the Second World War, specifically in 1943, in pursuit of his political aims, the bloody tyrant, Stalin, who had annihilated millions of people, including the New Martyrs of Russia, took a handful of surviving clergymen—frightened and unwilling—and founded his false church which began to pretend to be the Russian Orthodox Church. The real Russian Church went underground, into the catacombs, and the persecution waged against her neither ceased nor decreased over the course of the entire Soviet period, in spite of several “thaws” and reforms. And this tragic division was always witnessed to by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which in its synodal documents confessed spiritual unity with the Catacomb Church, but labeled the Moscow Patriarchate as the “church of evil doers” and as a heretical organization.

The heresy of the Moscow Patriarchate became especially evident to the Orthodox people of the Russian diaspora when in 1961 it (the MP) joined the World Council of Churches—an organization uniting every conceivable kind of heretic, and having as its aim the foundation of “one Christian Church,” into which would be incorporated all of the ancient and newest heresies and false teachings. Not being content to wait for the establishment of this “universal church,” the members of the World Council of Churches began to pray together and even to perform so-called “sacraments,” which things are strictly forbidden by the holy Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils. Thus, the “Orthodox” members of the World Council of Churches, including the Moscow Patriarchate, clearly severed their ties to the holy Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils, and thereby to Orthodoxy. This is exactly what was taught by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which in 1983, on the initiative of St. Philaret, anathematized ecumenism, i.e., gave over to ecclesiastical condemnation and excommunication all who took part in the World Council of Churches and the ecumenical movement. Until this day the Moscow Patriarchate remains a member of the World Council of Churches, and some of her hierarchs and priests make up the leadership of that heretical organization. And the present day Russian Church Abroad—more correctly that part of her which is headed by Met. Laurus—without formally abrogating the anathema against ecumenism, has announced its approaching unification with the ecumenists. Is this not a classic example of what is called in the Order of the Mystery of Confession “falling under one’s own anathema?” In their blindness, the leaders of the Russian Church Abroad “didn’t notice” that at the same time that their delegation was meeting in Moscow, an ecumenical “theological conference” was also being held which had been opened by the patriarch. Similarly, the leaders of the Russian Church Abroad are now ready to “swallow” any apostasy of the Moscow Patriarchate. And this means that despite the hopes of the “zealots” within the Moscow Patriarchate itself, after uniting with her, the hierarchs of the Church Abroad will become some of the most submissive and silent, in relation to the betrayals of Orthodoxy.

For more than seventy years, the Russian Church Abroad was the custodian of the pure repository of the true Orthodox Faith, and the whole Orthodox world looked up to her with respect and hope. How sad she appears now after her rejection of her great inheritance, in her role as a humiliated petitioner for mercy from the likes of the Moscow Patriarchate. It makes your heart bleed when you look upon such an “abomination of desolation,…standing in the holy place” (Mt. 24:15). Indeed, the fall of the Church Abroad is a phenomenon more tragic and—I would even say—apocalyptic, than the fall of the Moscow Patriarchate, which from its inception in 1943, was “conceived in iniquities” and “born in sins.” The Russian Church Abroad, for almost all of the twentieth century, shone like a torch of Orthodoxy, and for this reason the satanic crime which her present day “blind leaders” are committing is frightening and unforgivable. Metropolitan Laurus, Archbishop Mark, Archbishop Hilarion, Bishop Kyril—having kissed the hand of the impostor-patriarch Alexis—give the impression of people who have lost their sight, hearing, and have lost all common sense, not to mention their Orthodox Faith. They have likened themselves to the people who were reproached by the prophet Jeremiah, when he said: “Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not” (Jer. 5:21). Hear now, O hierarchs and clergy of the Russian Church Abroad, not our lowly voice, which for a long time now has meant nothing to you, but the trumpet blast of your own fathers. Hear how your first First Hierarch, the blessed Metropolitan Anthony, implored by the Living God the founder of the Moscow Patriarchate, Sergius (Stragorodsky) to follow the path of the New Martyrs and not betray the Church into the hands of the atheists. Read the sacred lines of the spiritual last will and testament of your second First Hierarch, Metropolitan Anastassy, who forbade not only prayerful, but even simple everyday communion with the false church, founded by Stalin. Behold the incorrupt relics of the great zealot for Orthodoxy St. Metropolitan Philaret, whom you sacrilegiously buried in the crypt of the cathedral church of the monastery in Jordanville! Do you think that you will escape hearing his ominous anathema when you stand before the throne of the King of Heaven where this great God-pleaser now stands pouring out bitter tears over your inglorious end?

Look into the eyes of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia—both those who were “glorified” hypocritically by the Moscow Patriarchate without first repenting, and those whom they continue to blaspheme. What do you expect to hear from that “Divine Army,” the many millions of Saints “of whom the whole world was not worthy” when you try to justify your treachery? For now you are about to cross the threshold of that same Moscow Patriarchate, for which many bishops, priests, and lay people, the salt of the Russian land, because they refused to recognize her, were summarily shot, without any trial or due process. You kiss the cold hand of the successor of that same Sergius who once openly, before the entire world, renounced the New Martyrs and blasphemed them saying that they were political criminals, and that the Church distances itself from them. And this at the same moment when these New Martyrs were witnessing to their fidelity to Christ and His Church by incredible sufferings!

You, the unworthy successor to the former glory of the Russian Church Abroad, sing Hosanna and Many Years to the so-called “most holy patriarch” who not only has never uttered a word of repentance for directly collaborating with the KGB (formerly the NKVD), but has increased his apostasies since the fall of the Soviet authorities. In 1990, none other than the present leader of the Moscow Patriarchate announced, while speaking before a group of rabbis in New York, that he and the followers of the Talmud have but “one father.” But was it not the Lord Himself Who said to the Jews who rejected Him that their father was the devil? Under Alexis II, the Moscow Patriarchate signed two unions: the Chambesy Union with the Monophysites, and the Balamand Union with the Catholics. This is the same false patriarch Alexis who covers over all of the transgressions of the post-Soviet authorities, because of which a large portion of the Russian people continue to suffer.

And finally, you, the church of Met. Laurus, are betraying your own flock in Russia, which trusted you and which now, it seems, is not even worthy of being called “the Church in Russia!” What will become of this admittedly little flock which consciously chose to depart from the unrighteousness of the Moscow Patriarchate, but has now suddenly found itself to be unneeded and even a “liability” for its own church leaders? At the Last Judgment, each pastor must give an answer for every soul that has been destroyed and betrayed by him, for the entire world is not worth even one human soul.

The spiritual essence of what is now taking place with the Russian Church Abroad is clear—it is part of the process of the worldwide apostasy from the Truth which will precede the glorious Second Coming of Christ. The Savior forewarned us about this saying: “When the Son of Man cometh, shall He find the Faith on the earth?” (Lk. 18:8) Alas, it is already the case in this imperfect world, which reposeth in evil, that the “little flock” of true Orthodox Christians is getting smaller and smaller, and it is becoming more and more difficult for it to survive under these conditions of universal apostasy. Nevertheless, besides the spiritual aspect, the process of unification between the Russian Church Abroad and the Moscow Patriarchate has another, purely secular, mercantile side to it. Apparently, this secular concern controls the activities of the hierarchs of the synod of Met. Laurus, which from a spiritual point of view, appear completely absurd and unnatural. The secular aspect of this process results in the fact that over the course of the past few years, the Russian Church Abroad has consistently been losing its properties and flocks abroad. This may be explained by the fact that the major portion of the Russian emigration is now comprised of people who have emigrated recently from Russia, where they were raised and educated under the Soviet regime. For the majority of these people, those ideals which were insisted upon in the past by the Russian Church Abroad, have no meaning, and the Church for them now is simply a “link to the motherland.” Besides this, the Moscow Patriarchate is also very actively opening new parishes abroad, and snatching away the properties of the Russian Church Abroad. Thus the leadership of the Russian Church Abroad is compelled to “capitulate” in order not to lose the latter. This means that the underlying stimuli for the “reunification” that is taking place are not spiritual, theological, canonical, or even patriotic ones, but purely economic and financial ones. And this imparts a certain cynicism to the betrayal that is being carried out, and to the self destruction of the Russian Church Abroad.

The fatal mistake of the leadership of the Russian Church Abroad was made in 1994, when it actually pushed away its faithful children in Russia who were then joining her in droves. After the fall of the Soviet regime, the future of the Russian Church Abroad was only in Russia whither she was to have returned the unspoiled repository of Orthodoxy which she had been keeping. And the process of this return had already been begun—in just a few short years there appeared hundreds of Orthodox parishes and communities which had renounced the heretical Moscow Patriarchate and had joined themselves to the Russian Church Abroad. Such a development of events, threatening the Moscow Patriarchate itself with ruin, frightened many of those in power—both in the church and in the government. With the help of various provocations and slanders, the seeds of mistrust between the parts of the Church in the Russian homeland and abroad were sown, and soon afterward, the Church abroad set out on the course of compromise and rapprochement with the Moscow Patriarchate, which had never been an acceptable possibility for the part of the Church in the Russian homeland from the beginning. But in any case, the Russian Church Abroad did manage to return the repository of unspoiled Orthodoxy to the Russian homeland, even if only at the last moment. Canonical episcopal consecrations were performed, and the living bearer of the great tradition of the Russian Church Abroad—the ever-memorable Bishop Gregory (Grabbe)—not long before his repose, bound to a wheelchair, visited Suzdal, where he blessed the path of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Thus, the thread of succession, stretching from Apostolic times, through the pre-revolutionary Russian Church, through the Church of the New Martyrs and the Russian Church Abroad, was transferred to us. The repository was returned to the homeland, and the historical mission of the Russian Church Abroad was accomplished.

Many of the great Churches of the past fell away into heresy or ceased to exist. Before the end of time, only the Universal Church of Christ will survive, but independent Local Churches can come and go. Now that the Russian Church Abroad has fallen from Orthodoxy, an especially providential mission has been placed upon us, dear hierarchs, fathers, brothers and sisters. We should do everything possible, and everything that is not possible, in order to preserve the true Orthodox Faith without any distortions, modernizations, and false interpretations. And if it is ordained that Russia should experience a renaissance, then this will only happen on the foundation of true Orthodoxy which our Church confesses and preaches. However, our preaching should not be confined by the traditional territorial borders of the Russian Church. Now, when the official local churches have fallen away from Orthodoxy, our preaching should resound across the entire world, “from the rising of the sun to the setting thereof.” And we note with joy the increasing numbers of our flocks abroad—in places like America, Western Europe, Bulgaria, Korea, etc. We should be prepared for the task that the Lord has assigned to our Church in particular—to continue the service of the Russian Church Abroad, even beyond the borders of our homeland.

I call upon you, beloved brethren and children, to increase your prayers for the salvation of all true Orthodox believers, who for one reason or another continue to remain aboard the sinking ship that is the Russian Church Abroad. It is necessary to serve special moliebens to ask God’s help for those people in their imminent search for the path which leads to the true Church. May the Lord enlighten our brothers abroad so that we might one day again, with one mouth and with one heart, glorify Christ our Savior with the words of the angelic doxology of the feast of the Nativity: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill amongst men.”

Beloved in the Lord children of the Church of Christ!

Once again, I sincerely and heartily greet you with the light-bearing and saving feast of the Nativity of Christ! With all of my soul, I wish all of you good health, the salvation of your souls, perseverance and courage, and also spiritual discretion which is the mother of all virtues!

With enormous love and care for your salvation,

Lowly Valentine,

Metropolitan of Suzdal and Vladimir,

First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church

Church / Monastery News:

Vladika Gregory just came back from a trip to Bulgaria, and here are the official announcements concerning his pastoral trip. 

Four More Priests Added to the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church in Bulgaria

His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, on a recent pastoral visit to Bulgaria, ordained two candidates to the priesthood and received two priests from the Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece, Lamian Synod.

On the 15th of December, Vladyka Gregory traveled to Bulgaria, where he visited the Church of All Saints in Sofia, headed by Father Lyudmil Petrov. Father Lyudmil was the dean of the Theological Academy of Sofia before he entered the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Vladyka Gregory visited the newly acquired buildings for the future home of the parish of All Saints on the outskirts of Sofia.

On the feast of Saint Nicholas of Myra, Vladyka Gregory ordained to the holy priesthood Father John Latkovsky. On the following Sunday, Vladyka also ordained to the holy priesthood Father Radoslav (Haralambos) Ivanov. Father John is a teacher at the Theological Academy in Sofia and Father Radoslav is a student studying for his Master’s Degree in Theology at the Academy as well.

On Monday, December 22nd, Vladyka Gregory traveled to the city of Razgrad, where he received into the ROAC the priest Roman Constantinov and his parish of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary in the ancient Byzantine city of Silistra. Vladyka Gregory also received at the same time the priest Stefan Vasillev of Razgrad, and his parish of the Protomartyr Stephen. Both these priests come from the GOC of Greece, Lamian Synod.

We give thanks to God that the growth of the Church in Bulgaria has proceeded so well, to the extent that the ROAC now has five priests in this ancient Orthodox country. Those seeking true Orthodoxy are beginning to understand the seriousness of the heresies of the new calendar Church and the Cyprianites, and are finding refuge in the bosom of our holy Church.

Announcement

The Ordination of Father Ivan Ivanov Latkovsky

On the Feast of Saint Nicholas, 6/19 December, 2003, Vladyka Gregory ordained to the holy priesthood John Ivanov Latkovsky. Father John graduated the Theological Academy in Sofia in 1996 with a Master’s Degree in Theology. In 1998 Father John was asked to be assistant professor at the Theological School and is presently working towards his Doctorate in Orthodox Ecclesiology. Father John is married to the handmaid of God Georgia, and has a lovely one-year-old daughter, Sofia. Father John, who is thirty years old, will be the assistant priest of Father Lyudmil at the parish Church of All Saints in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Announcement

On Sunday, 7/20 December, 2003, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, ordained to the Holy Priesthood Father Haralambos Radoslav Ivanov. Father Haralambos, who is 38 years old, is married to the handmaid of God Maria and is blessed to have a young teenage daughter, Christina. Father Haralambos completed studies at the Sofia Ecclesiastical Academy in 2001 and is now a student working towards his Master’s Degree in Theology.

Father Haralambos comes to us from the Greek Old Calendar Synods of Met. Cyprian and Archbishop Chrysostom Kiousis. After his training and graduation, Father Haralambos will be living in the town of Krumovgrad, located in southern Bulgaria. He will be starting a church in honor of the holy Great Martyr Haralambos.

Announcement

On Monday, December 22nd, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, visited the Bulgarian city of Razgrad. There he accepted into the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church Father Roman Lazarov Constantinov and his parish of the Dormition of the Mother of God in Silistra.

Father Roman, who is 49 years old, was born in the ancient Byzantine city of Silistra, on the border of Bulgaria and Romania. He attended seminary in 1985 and married the handmaid of God Marianka in 1987. They have two daughters, Catherine, 13 years old, and Theodora, 8 years old. He was ordained in 1987 in the new calendar Bulgarian church.

In 1992, after understanding the true path of Orthodoxy, he abandoned the new calendar Church and was received into the GOC of Greece, Lamian Synod, and started to follow the Old Calendar. He built a chapel next to his home in Silistra and has over twenty parishioners. After being placed under the ecumenical Bishop Gervasi, Father Roman sought to be united with the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church and was received.

Here is a picture of Fr. Stefan:

Announcement

On Monday, December 22nd, His Grace, Gregory, Bishop of Denver and Colorado, visited the Bulgarian city of Razgrad, 350 kilometers from Sofia. There he accepted into the Church the archpriest Stefan Radev Vassilev, who is in the process of building a Church in honor of St. Stephen, in the city of Razgrad. He is married to the handmaid of God Vasilissa and has two children who are now adults.

Father Stefan who is 45 years old, was ordained in the official Church of Bulgaria in 1988. He understood the falseness of the ecumenical church he was in, and in 1995 joined the Greek Old Calendar Church, Lamian Synod. When that Church accepted Bishop Gervasi without proper investigation, Father Stefan was placed under him. Bishop Gervasi had lied to the Synod in Greece and was simultaneously a member of the new calendar synod in Bulgaria. Because of this unacceptable condition, Father Stefan petitioned Vladyka Gregory two months ago to be accepted into the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. Father Stefan is an accomplished carpenter and electrician and will do the construction of his new church himself with the help of parishioners.

Please pray for:

Our Vladika Metropolitan Valentine, Father Dionysios’ daughter, Helen.

Friday is the Feast of Saint John of Kronstadt.  You can have wine and oil. 
      Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

In Christ,

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

If anyone wants to discuss the Nativity EPistle contained within this posting above, please reply at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1683

Julianna

Link!

Post by Julianna »

Julianna

December 29/January 11, 2004

Post by Julianna »

December 29/January 11, 2004

The Sunday After the Nativity of Christ

The Reading is from the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Galatians [§ 200].      1  11Brethren, I make known to you the Gospel which was preached as good tidings by me, that it is not according to man; 12for I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but by a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13For ye heard of my manner of life at one time in Judaism, that according to excess, I used to persecute the Church of God, and was ravaging her. 14And I kept on advancing in Judaism beyond many contemporaries in mine own race, being more exceedingly a zealot of the traditions of my fathers. 15But when it pleased God, Who separated me from my mother's womb and called me by His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I be preaching Him as good tidings among the nations, immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood, 17neither did I go up to Jerusalem to those who wereapostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and again returned to Damascus. 18Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Peter, and remained with him fifteen days; 19but of the other apostles I saw none, except Iakovos the brother of the Lord.

The Sunday After the Nativity of Christ

The Reading is from the Holy Gospel according to Saint Matthew [§ 4].      2  13After the magi departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, "Arise, and take the young Child and His Mother, and flee thou into Egypt, and be thou there until I should tell thee; for Herod is about to seek the young Child, to destroy Him." 14And he arose and took the young Child and His Mother by night and departed into Egypt, 15and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled that which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, "Out of Egypt I called My Son [cf. Hos. 11:1]." 16Then Herod, after he saw that he was mocked by the magi, was angered exceedingly. And he sent forth and killed all the malechildren that were in Bethlehem and in all her borders, from two years old and under, according to the time which he inquired carefully from the magi. 17Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremias the prophet, saying, 18"A voice in Rama was heard, lamentation and weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not [cf. Jer. 38(31):15]." 19But after Herod died, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, 20saying, "Arise, and take the young Child and His Mother, and go into the land of Israel; for they who sought the soul of the young Child have died." 21And he arose and took the young Child and His Mother, and came into the land of Israel. 22But after he heard that Archelaus reigned over Judæa instead of Herod his father, he was afraid to go there. And having been divinely warned in a dream, he withdrew into the parts of Galilee. 23And he came and dwelt in a city which is called Nazareth, in order that it might be fulfilled that which was spoken by the prophets, that He shall be called a Nazarene.

Today I would like to say just a few words about the Gospel and the commemorations we have today.  We commemorate today David the King, Joseph the Betrothed, and Iakovos the Brother of the Lord.  I see in these three saints we commemorate today many similarities, primarily that they were anointed and chosen by God because of their dedication and they were all immovable and unshakeable in their love and devotion to our great God.

David symbolized the Old Testament, Joseph the transition from the Old to the New, and Iakovos the New Testament. 

I want to bring attention to Joseph.  He must have been a very special person.  We see that God speaks to him in dreams, encouraging him to take the Virgin and not to put her away, warning him to flee to Egypt to avoid danger, and to come back to Israel, etc., etc.  We should be careful and not think that we may listen to or believe our dreams, however. This is a very subtle temptation, because as we know, the nocturnal images we receive are predominately from the evil one.  Joseph was special and an exception to the normal conduct of a Christian with regard to dreams.  We are told by the Holy Fathers that we must reject all of these images.  Sometimes our dreams are inconsequential, sometimes they are nightmares, sometimes they are prophetic - but not really prophetic.  The evil one tries to make us believe in his false prophecies.  Usually when we have dreams, we pray that God will take away all memory of them.  We make our cross before we go to bed and pray that no dreams will come to us.  In fact, the prayers in Compline (which is the evening service before sleep) beseech God that we may be delivered: "And grant unto us when we go to sleep, repose of body and soul, and a sleep light and free from all satanic fantasies."

Some may ask, "Well, how is God going to talk to us?"  We should answer that God directs our lives through His divine providence, through His Holy Scriptures and commandments, through our conscience, and through our spiritual guides.  We should NEVER be in the habit of listening to dreams, or voices, or any such thing that can easily be used to lead us astray. 

If we desire something, and are confused if it is the will of God, we can always test it through the criterion of God's commandments, our conscience, and our spiritual guides.  How wonderful it is to do God's will, and how destructive and wasteful with our time and energy it is for us to be deceived. 

We are enclosing here edifying words from Saint John Chrysostom about the holy feast. 

An Excerpt from St. John Chrysostom's Proof Against the Pagans that Christ is God, concerning prophecies of the advent of Christ:

It Was Foretold that Christ Would Be Both God and Man

(1) … I shall now try to prove that all this did not simply happen but that it had been predicted long beforehand.

(2) I do not wish you to suspect that what I say had not been foretold. Therefore, I must bring forward as evidence the books of the Jews, who crucified him. I must go through the Scriptures, over which the Jews have kept such careful guard, and set before the eyes of those who are still unbelieving the predictions and testimonies about Christ these books contain. Jeremias was the first to say that God would become man and still remain God. "This is our God; no other will be compared to Him. He discovered the whole way of understanding, and gave it to Jacob, His servant, and to Israel, His well-beloved. After that time, He appeared on earth and moved about among men" [Baruch 3:36-38].

(3) Do you see how, in a few words, the prophet made it altogether clear that Christ, still remaining God, became man, that He moved about among men, and that He is, Himself, the Law-giver of the Old Testament? For the prophet said: "He has discovered the whole way of understanding and has given it to Jacob, His servant, and to Israel, His well-beloved." For here the prophet shows that, before His coming in the flesh, He arranged and disposed all things, that He did all things by giving the Law, by exercising His providence, and by granting to men the blessings of His care.

(4) Listen again to another prophet (Isaias) and how he said not only that Christ would become man but also that He would be born of the Virgin. "Behold the Virgin shall be with Child and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel" [Is. 7:14] The name Immanuel is interpreted as meaning "with us God." Then to show that this Child, on His appearance, would not be a mere phantom of a man but truly a human being, the prophet went on to say: ("He shall eat butter and honey," [Is. 7:15] because it was usual for children to be fed these foods shortly after their birth. To make it clear the Child was no mere human, the prophet then went on to say: "For before the Child learns good or evil, He will not heed the evil so that He may choose the good" [Is. 7:16].

(5) We learn, too, that Christ is not only a man and born of a virgin, but also that He is of the house of David. Again listen to how Isaias predicted this long beforehand, even though his prediction was couched in figurative and metaphorical terms: "But a rod shall come forth from the root of Jesse and from his root a flower shall arise. The Spirit of the Lord shall abide upon Him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of strength, the Spirit of knowledge and piety, the Spirit of fear of the Lord shall fill Him" [Is. 11:1-3]. For this man Jesse was the father of David. And it is clear from this that David came from Jesse's tribe.

(6) So Isaiah predicted that He Who was to come will come not only from the tribe but even from the house of Jesse when he said: "A rod will come forth from Jesse's root."" For the prophet was not simply speaking of the rod but of Christ and His kingdom. The words which follow make it clear that Isaiah did not say this about the rod, for when Isaiah had said: "A rod shall come forth," he went on to add: "And there shall abide upon Him the Spirit of wisdom and understanding."

(7) No man, even if he is extremely senseless, will say that the grace of the Spirit came down on a rod of wood. It is quite obvious that the grace of the Spirit came down on that spotless temple of the Spirit (His humanity)." This is why Isaiah did not say: "It will come," but: "It will come to abide," because after the Spirit came, He did not depart but remained. This is what John the Evangelist made clear when he quoted the words of the Baptist: "I saw the Spirit descend like a dove from the sky and it came to abide on Him" [Jn. 1:32].

(8) … Listen to how Isaias predicted [the Divine Incarnation] long beforehand when he said: "… For a Child is born to us, and a Son is given to us: and His name shall be called The Angel of Great Counsel, Wonderful Counsellor, God the Strong, the Mighty One, the Prince of Peace, the Father of the age to come" [Is. 9:4-6].

(9) No one could say this of a mere man, as is obvious even to those who are very eager to show how stubborn they can be. No man from the beginning of time has been called God the Mighty nor Father of the age to come nor the Prince of Peace. For Isaias said: "There is no end of His peace" [Is. 9:7]. And what did happen makes it clear that this peace has spread over the whole earth and sea, over the world where men dwell and where no man lives, over mountains, woodlands, and hills, starting from that day on which He was going to leave His disciples and said to them: "My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you" [Jn. 14:27].

(10) Why did Christ speak in this way? Because the peace which comes from man is easily destroyed and subject to many changes. But Christ's peace is strong, unshaken, firm, fixed, steadfast, immune to death, and unending. No matter how many wars assail it, no matter how many plots rise against it every passing day, His peace is always the same. And it was His word, which accomplishes all things, that accomplished this along with His other blessings.

The Prophets Foretold the Manner of His Coming

(1) The prophets foretold not only that He would become man but also they predicted the manner of His coming. He was not going to come in the midst of thunder, lightning, earthquake, or tumult from the heavens. He was not going to stir up any consternation. His birth struck no man with fear, for He was born with no one to witness it, without tumult or confusion, in the house of a carpenter, in an ordinary and undistinguished home. And the prophet David did not remain silent on the manner of His birth when he said: "He shall come down like rain upon the fleece" [Ps. 71:6 LXX]. By this David showed how peaceful and quiet His coming would be.

(2) Not only did David say this, but another prophet revealed how mild and reasonable He would be in His dealings with all men. See how Isaiah spoke of this. Christ was insulted, spat upon, reviled, outraged, scourged, and finally nailed to a cross. Yet He took no vengeance against those who had done these things but He endured courageously and mildly all the dishonors and plots, all the madness and untimely anger, all the assaults of that mob. Isaias revealed all this when he said: "A bruised reed He shall not break, and smoking flax He shall not quench, until He brings judgment forth unto victory, and in Him the nations will put their hope" [Is. 43:3-4 LXX].

(3) It was another prophet, again, who pointed out the place where He would be born. For Michaias said: "And thou, O Bethlehem, the land of Judah, are by no means the least among the princes of Judah. For out of thee will come the Leader Who will shepherd My people, Israel: and His going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity." [Mi. 5:1; cf. Mt. 2:6] Michaias was pointing out both the divinity and the humanity of Christ. When he said: "His going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity," he revealed His existence before all ages. When he said: "There will come the Leader Who will shepherd My people, Israel," he revealed Christ's birth in the flesh.

(4) And notice here that he makes clear another prophecy. Michaias not only said where Christ would be born but also that the place would become well-known even if it was a little town and little known. For he said: "Thou art by no means the least among the princes of Judah." So it is that now the whole world rushes to see Bethlehem, where He was born and laid in a manger. The place became famous, and there is no other reason than this why people go there.

(5) Again, another prophet made clear the time of His coming, when he said: "Principality shall not depart from Judah, and rulership from his loins, till He come for Whom it is reserved. Even He is the expectation of the nations, binding His colt to a vine and the foal of an ass to the young vine. He shall wash His robe in wine and His mantle in the blood of the grape. His eyes bring the exhilaration which comes from wine, and his teeth are whiter than milk." [Gen. 49:10-12 LXX]

(6) See how this prophecy fits what happened, too. For Christ came at a time when the Jewish princes had already ceased to rule and were subject to the empire of the Romans. In this way was fulfilled the prophecy which said: "Principality shall not depart from Judah, nor a rulership from his loins till He come for Whom it is reserved,"' meaning Christ. For the first registration [for property taxation; cf. Lk. 2:1-6; only non-citizen subjects of caesar paid such taxes] was held just at the same time that He was born, and this was after the Romans had conquered the Jewish nation and had brought them under the yoke of their empire. Something further is meant by the words: "Even He is the expectation of the nations." For after He had come, He did draw all the nations to Himself.

(7) Herod sought Him after His birth; he was going to kill all the children in that place. And the prophet revealed this, too, foretelling it long beforehand when he said: "A voice was heard in Rama, lamentation, mourning, and much weeping, of Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are not" [Jer. 31:15]. The Scriptures also predicted that He would come to Egypt when they said: "Out of Egypt I called My Son" [Hos. 11:1; cf. Mt. 2:15].… ++++++++

Church / Monastery News:

We have been working very hard this past week putting in the tile floor.  It is a long and tedious job.  Thank God it is almost over.  We first started with the library to make our mistakes and get our technique figured out.  We laid the tile in a cement mixture, and the job is almost completed.  The next phase is to grout the cracks in between each tile.  This is also a very tedious job, but it will go much quicker than putting down cement and laying the tiles.  This coming week we hope to finish this and start installing doors.  The plumbers will complete the bathrooms this week also.

Our Reader Jerjis and our parishioner Gregory Charnisky visited the Albion, Pennsylvania prison where our parishioner Anthony Lutz is incarcerated. They received permission from the prison officials to conduct a prayer service and present a lecture to the inmates on Orthodoxy.  They spent four hours there, and we are happy to report that a good number of prisoners are very interested in Orthodoxy, and will pursue their studies.  Once a sincere person is told the origin of Latin Catholicism, Protestantism, and Monophystism, and how they differ from the true Faith, Orthodoxy, there is no force in the world, or the underworld, that is going to prevent that person from seeking to be united with the truth.   Reader Jerjis and Gregory are planning to make periodic visits to continue instructing the inmates, and offering them reading material for their growth in the Faith.

Please pray for:

Our Vladika Metropolitan Valentine, Father Dionysios' daughter, Helen, and for Father Savvas' complete recovery.

This week is a fast-free week.  Wednesday is the first of January on the Church calendar, and the commemoration of the circumcision of our Lord, and also the Feast of Saint Basil the Great.  Thursday is the Feast of the great Russian wonderworker Saint Seraphim of Sarov.  Next Sunday is the eve before the Feast of Theophany.  This day is normally a fast day, but because it falls on a Sunday this year, we are permitted oil and wine. 

Crumbs from the trapeza table:

A Miracle From the Life of St. Marcellus, Archimandrite of the Monastery of the Unsleeping Ones (commemorated today):

"Now hearken to another miracle, though somewhat tinged with sadness on account of the malignant disposition of the sufferer. There once came to the saint a certain Samaritan, who had an incurable wound. The righteous man asked him what was his religion and what he wished. Markellos inquired not because he was ignorant, but that he might compel the Samaritan to make a confession with his own mouth. He replied, "I am a Samaritan, but I would become a Christian should I receive my health." Father Markellos uttered a prayer, and the Samaritan was cured. Though he acknowledged the true Faith, yet later, some four days after his miraculous healing, what was written befell him: "The dog returned to its own vomit [2 Pe. 2:22]." He lapsed into his former disbelief. Consequently, with the illness he exhibited in his soul, forthwith, the body was similarly affected and the diseased wound reappeared. The Samaritan returned to the holy man, who again healed him. Not much time had passed before the Samaritan once more relapsed into his old beliefs. Now this back-sliding did not occur two or three times but many times. The saint, not one to remember wrongs, healed him every time. Then, as the Samaritan was like unto the sow that washed and then went to wallow in the mire [2 Pe. 2:22], Father Markellos finally said, "It is not I who cure thee but God Who knows all things and Who is not to be mocked or defrauded, O wretched one! Thou art only injuring thyself worse. If then thou desirest thy health, confess the Christ openly and be completely resolute toward Him without any guile or pretense." He answered, "I am not able to leave my ancestral belief. " The saint then said nothing further, but returned to his cell. That miserable man then exited the monastery and fell gravely ill. The following day he was in the throes of death and expired. Thus, he chose and received spiritual death, together with that of the body. Enough said about this unbeliever."

From The Great Synaxaristes of the Orthodox Church, December Volume, pp.1148-1149, Copyright 2003, Holy Apostles Convent, all rights reserved.

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.

In Christ,

Julianna

January 5/18, 2004

Post by Julianna »

January 5/18, 2004

The Sunday Before the Theophany The Reading is from the Second Epistle of Saint Paul to Saint Timothy [§ 298]. Child Timothy:      4  5Be thou watchful in all things, suffer hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill thy ministry. 6For I already am being made a drink-offering and the time of my release is at hand. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith. 8Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall render to me in that day; and not only to me, but to all who have loved His appearing.

The Sunday Before the Theophany The Reading is from the Holy Gospel according to Saint Mark [§ 1].         1  1The beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.      2As it hath been written in the prophets: "Behold, I send forth My messenger before Thy face, who shall prepare Thy way before Thee [cf. Mal. 3:1]; 3"thevoice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way of the Lord; be making His paths straight [cf. Is. 40:3].'" 4There arose John, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance toward remission of sins. 5And all the land of Judæa, and of Jerusalem, were going out to him; and all were being baptized in the Jordan River by him, confessing their sins. 6And John was clothed with camel hairs, and a leathern belt about his loins; and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7And he was proclaiming, saying, "The One Who is mightier than I cometh after me, the strap of Whose sandals I am not fit to stoop down and loosen. 8"I indeed baptize you in water, but He shall ! baptize you in the Holy Spirit."

Because of all the services during this weekend, which resulted in our sermon being late, we are writing this sermon on Tuesday.  The Gospel and Epistle readings are for last Sunday.      

In the Epistle reading we heard these famous verses of Saint Paul to Saint Timothy: "7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith. 8Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall render to me in that day; and not only to me, but to all who have loved His appearing."  Of course, the holy Church puts this reading before us because it is referring to the appearing of Christ.     

Christ coming into the world, His divine incarnation, and now during this feast, His appearance, is the greatest act of love that God has shown to us, His creatures.  It is very profound, to such an extent that it has affected all of creation.  Indeed, the Lord's appearance has affected all of creation, inanimate creation, for the world was sanctified, as well as the water in it, with the appearance of Christ.  It also shuddered at His crucifixion.  But humanity, what of humanity?  Since man reasons, Christ must convince this reasoning being to love His appearance and to believe in Him.  Unfortunately, faith is not in all men.  But this lack of faith is to their own condemnation.  What else could God have done to win the hearts of men?      

Behold, in this feast, to convince us that Christ is indeed God, God the Father and God the Holy Spirit manifested Themselves in a unique way.  When Saint John the Baptist said, "Behold the Lamb of God Who taketh away the sin of the world,"  [Jn. 1:29]  if one just thinks of this statement, how can one man take away the sin of all the world?  But this was not just a man; this was God incarnate, the second Person of the Holy Trininty.  God the Father, Himself, bore witness, saying, "This is My Son, the Beloved, in Whom I am well pleased."  And the Holy Spirit also bore witness to the Son when He appeared in the form of a dove.  So we have the Holy Trinity appearing in one instance of time.  The troparion of the feast says:

"When Thou wast baptized in the Jordan, O Lord, the worship of the Trinity was made manifest; for the voice of the Begetter bare witness to Thee, calling Thee His beloved Son.  And the Spirit in the form of a dove confirmed the certainty of the word.  O Christ God, Who hast appeared and hast enlightened the world, glory be to Thee."  [Tone One]

Again, I ask, what more could God do to convince us that this is His beloved Son?  And yet, so many people in our days could not care less that the Creator appeared as man and was baptized in the Jordan.  He came for all of us, and most of us say, "Ho hum.  I am busy with these things of the body, with things of the world, and with my future aspirations.  I have no time to love His appearance."     

But what does "love His appearance" mean?  It means to be believing in Him.  It means to be loving Him above worldly things, above our family, and above everything else.  It means to be cleaving to Him.  How do we cleave to Him?  By always having Him in remembrance, and calling upon His name.  We call upon His name by saying the holy Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me."  Yes, we have Him in remembrance in this way, and in many and various other ways.  For example, instead of listening to rock music, or playing computer games, or watching TV, and any other idle nonsense, we can occupy our time with more beneficial practices such as listening to holy music, reading holy books, having holy conversations with our brothers and sisters in Christ, and other holy occupations.  Let's not forget prayer, either.  All of us must pray every day.  All of us must fast We! dnesdays and Fridays, and all those days proscribed by the Church.  All of us must read the Scriptures every day.  All of us must at least make the sign of the cross and say a prayer before we eat, and after we finish.  All of us must at least make the sign of the cross and say a prayer when we arise from bed in the morning, and when we retire at night.  These and many other things we should do if we wish to cleave to God, our first Love.  We cannot be like the heathen, although we live in their midst.      

Our Saviour was baptized in the Jordan to show us what our conduct of life should be.  He was sinless.  We desire to emulate Him.  So, if we desire to emulate Him, we should accept to emulate Him in His way of life, to obey His commandments, and to be part of His body, the Church.  Our Saviour laid down that the foundation of everything spiritual is the true Orthodox Baptism, which is done only in the Church.  There is no other way.  Our Saviour started His ministry by Baptism, and therefore, we start our spiritual life by emulating Him through Holy Baptism.  We, therefore, who love His appearance, will follow and will obey because this is the will of God.  Here is what Saint Kyril of Jerusalem says concerning this:

"Jesus sanctified Baptism when He Himself was baptized. If the Son of God was baptized, can anyone who scorns Baptism pretend to piety? Not that He was baptized to receive the remission of sin-for He was without sin-but being sinless, He was nevertheless baptized, that He might impart grace and dignity to those who receive the Mystery [of baptism]." [Catechesis I-XII, III(11), in FC, 61:115.]

In the Acts of the Apostles [Acts 19:2] we read where certain believers were asked if they had received the Holy Spirit, and they answered that they did not even know if there was a Holy Spirit. Then were they asked, Well, what baptism did you have? And they said that they had John's baptism. Then they were instructed how John's baptism was unto the remission of sins, but the baptism of Christ is with the Holy Spirit. Do you see how baptism is inseparably connected with the grace of the Holy Spirit?

Let us be grateful to our beloved Redeemer, that He has revealed to us His divine economy, and yes, we should be grateful that we had enough sense to obey His call to enter into the Great Supper.

Church / Monastery News:

The President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, visited Suzdal and attended a church of the MP.  Some people thought that this may have an adverse effect on our Church.  We contacted Suzdal, and they told us that there was absolutely no affect at all, and that all our churches were full of parishioners as usual.     

This weekend, Father Deacon Fotios arrived in Colorado because he has a job interview in Fort Collins.  It just so happens that it coincided with his name day, which is the Feast of the Theophany, the Feast of Lights.  He will be traveling back east on Wednesday. 

This week we learned that our web site was sabotaged by a naughty person, and therefore it has been down for ten days. We are working on re-establishing it as quickly as possible.

As you can imagine, this week has been quite busy with all of us all of us working on the tile, which is still not finished.  We are still putting in grout around each tile. 

The plumbers came, but they did not finish, so it looks like we will be having water running in the new building during the Feast of Theophany.  How appropriate!  But this was beyond our control.      We received the doors last week also, and Vladika is installing them all while everybody else is working on the grout.       Please remember, we have calendars available.  If anybody would like to purchase them, the cost is $6.00 / calendar, plus 2.50 postage (std. mail) or 4.50 (priority).  This price will just meet our costs. 

Please pray for:

Our Vladika Metropolitan Valentine, Father Dionysios' daughter, Helen.  Benjamin, that he finds employment. 

This week is a normal week, with fasting on Wednesday and Friday. 

Crumbs from the trapeza table:

We are enclosing the Life of Saint Athanasios the New-martyr, whose life we found both edifying and amusing.

On the 7th of January, the holy Church commemorates the holy New-Martyr ATHANASIOS of Attaleia, who suffered martyrdom in Smyrna (1700).

The holy New-Martyr Athanasios was born in Attaleia. While he was in Smyrna on the Aegean coast of Asia Minor, he encountered the Ottomans. They were constantly harassing him, while jeering and laughing at the Faith of the Christians. But the blessed one, even though illiterate, always answered them with logic and wisdom. He often rendered them speechless, as they were unable to refute  what Athanasios asserted. They were ashamed of the frivolous doctrines of their faith; and so they conspired to slander and trap him.     

On a certain day-"I know not how," says the author-Athanasios shouted aloud the lai-lala in their own tongue. Now in Islam, this declaration constitutes a doxology to their Allah and is sometimes considered as their creed. Immediately, the Muslims surrounded him. They seized him and led him before the judge, charging him with accepting their religion publicly. Athanasios in turn replied that the words which he uttered were not a confession of faith, but in and of itself it was only a doxology of God - and it is permissible for all to recite it. But his accusers insisted that he had accepted Mohammedanism and disavowed Christ. Objecting to this, the blessed one said they spoke falsely and that he would rather receive ten thousand deaths than renounce the Orthodox Faith. They imprisoned him, bringing him up for repeated interrogations and floggings, further threatening him with other gruesome tortures. They also attempted to sway! him by flattery and promises of gifts. Nevertheless, the contestant of Christ considered all these as child's play.     

Finally the judge recognized that Athanasios' beliefs were steadfast and immovable, and handed down the decision of death. The blessed martyr was beheaded, receiving the crown of martyrdom in the year 1700. His sacred relics were discarded carelessly and exposed for three days beside a lair of wild dogs, yet none of these dogs approached the martyr. At the same time, on the evening of one of those days, two condemned Ottomans were also beheaded. Since there was insufficient time to bury their corpses, they were abandoned till the morning. The dogs, nonetheless, tore the Ottoman corpses apart and devoured them. The Turks later rationalized that the dogs consumed the bodies of the Turks because they were sweet and savory, while the flesh of the Christian was spurned. After three days, the Christians received the judge's permission to gather up the relics of Saint Athanasios, which they interred with honor in the Church of Saint Paraskeve.      Through the intercessions of Thy Saints, O Christ God, have mercy on us. Amen.

Taken from The Great Synaxaristes, January volume, pp. 227-228, Copyright 2003, Holy Apostles Convent, all rights reserved.

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.

In Christ,