Old Calendarists in Communion with the EP switch Calendars??

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

costaswright wrote:

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

Nor is it proper to describe it as "his point of view." It is the Orthodox point of view, before the influence of Gnosticism and western legalistic and dualistic thinking.
Rd. Constantine

Dear Reader Constantine,

I have often followed the Toll House debates, mostly on the Indiana list. I have learned a lot from those discussions. But I don't think another discussion here would bear much fruit.
From about as far back as I can remember, in my childhood, I was taught that Toll Houses were a teaching of the Church and something we should think about. Maybe it is my baggage because I believe they are a teaching of the Church (I actually fully agree will OOD hear in that the problem with them, if there is one, is there expression and emphasis, perhaps leaning towards the over rational when trying to express the inexpressible). However, as convinced as I am by their reality, it is not an issue that is as black and white as other issues of distinction between what is Orthodox and what is not and I am not ready to, with a swipe of the hand, say that all those who disagree are not holding to true Orthodoxy. I have often seen your statements, like the one above ''nor is it proper to describe it as 'his point of view', it is the Orthodox point of view'' as a little arrogant in that, as boagatr pointed out with a few examples, there are a great, great many saints who disagree with you. Most obvious examples are of course the Russian saints of the last several centuries. Now I can understand you saying that they are under some non Orthodox influence in their teachings, whatever it may be, Gnostic, Western etc.., but to me they are great saints who reached theosis and communion with God and I do take there opinion into account, especially if it can be seen pretty consistently throughout the centuries, like the Toll Houses can. [Is that a run on sentence? :| ]

Anyway, my point is that perhaps you could be a little more modest in stating your opinion as ''the teaching of the Church'' when it is in fact only your opinion, just as mine is only my opinion.

In Christ,

Nicholas (savva)

costaswright

Old Calendarists in Communion with the EP switch Calendars??

Post by costaswright »

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

I have often followed the Toll House debates, mostly on the Indiana list.
I have learned a lot from those discussions. But I don't think another >discussion here would bear much fruit.

Agreed. If peoples' hearts and minds are hardened, nothing will reach them. My chief intent in posting was to counter the "vermin" remark, a personal attack directed by a JP priest against several of his fellow clergy, and especially a parish which is a warm and loving ... and Orthodox ... place. Particularly as Fr. James is also an extremely humble priest who would not answer the personal attacks even were he to know of them.

From about as far back as I can remember, in my childhood, I was
taught that Toll Houses were a teaching of the Church and something we >should think about. Maybe it is my baggage because I believe they are a >teaching of the Church (I actually fully agree will OOD hear in that the

Many have grown up in churches dedicated to the "Assumption of the Blessed Virgin" yet of course we Orthodox do not ascribe to that Roman notion. Erroneous beliefs can creep into Church life - just think of ecumenism. They must all be fought. But again, I'll agree with you - not here.

In Christ,
Rd. Constantine

| Reader David-Constantine Wright
| --- constantinewright@yahoo.com
| --- http://constans_wright.tripod.com
| "God became Human so that humans could
| become gods." - St. Athanasius the Great

mwoerl

a telling point?

Post by mwoerl »

fr serafim wrote:

">As the Greeks say: the beard does not make the priest. I say this for
converts and those interested in Orthodoxy. Beware of the outward
appearances and honeyed tongues of those who pose as Orthodox
clergy. Examine their lives and teachings if you can . . .

reader constantine wrote:
"This is true, and it is a telling point against those who have alloyed authentic Orthodoxy with false gnostic and western teachings.

but not a telling point against those who change jusrisdictions like they do underwear, 'til they finally get to be the "big guy"? well-if at first you dont succeed . . . change jurisdictions again!

mwoerl

Bogatyr

Recapitulation

Post by Bogatyr »

Again, SHOW US WHICH FATHERS TEACH AS the puhalo faction does, where they support his context. Furthermore, let's look at who upholds the Orthodox doctrine of Toll Houses in our day: St. John of San Francisco, Blessed Joseph the Hesychast, Elder Ephraim and his disciples, +Met. Hierotheos (Vlachos), Fr. George Metallinos, et al. Who doesn't? sergius bulgakov, lev puhalo, Fr. Michael Azkoul. The witness of the deified vs the witness of the quasi-protestant reformers? Whom do you think lives the TRUE ORTHODOX LIFE AND IS MOST COGNIZANT OF THE ORTHODOX REALITY OF THE TOLL HOUSES?! That's what they won't discuss here.
Orthodoxia I Thanatos!
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky
PS I have provided PATRISTIC TESTIMONY WHICH FORMS A CONSENSUS WHICH SHOWS THE TOLL HOUSES ARE THE ESCHATOLOGICAL TEACHING OF THE CHURCH. Show us where the Fathers teach otherwise, where they support a quasi-protestant point of view in regard to them and mr. puhalo's and Fr. Azkoul's context. Show us.
PPS The Indiana List is mentioned. As a person who has been allowed to be abused on that list without even defending myself by pseudo-persons and the like, I will opine on it. Information on that list is CENSORED. A thoroughly Orthodox viewpoint is not appreciated. The Fathers, the Canons, the PHRONEMA have no welcome there. The moderators and owner have PERSONAL standards of authority, those which contradict their Bishops and the integrity of Orthodoxy. It is managed by people who put cronyism first, who silence opposition they don't agree with and who leave all issues looking as if "both sides" are morally equivalent. Mind you, the sides they maintain as such are Orthodoxy and cacodoxy. That is utter, syncretist poison. This list has spawned more schisms, more dissensions, more jurisdiction hopping and done more harm to the diasporan Orthodox conversation than anything else. It is a haven for syncretists, renovationists and those of lukewarm sentiments and is an engine behind the new mentalite that is betraying ROCOR. Unless you are a "conservative antiochian", whatever in the world that is, an oca apologist or heirarch, or a member of the party of fr. shaw or fr. lebedeff, you don't have a voice there. Discussions there are as authoritative in assessing the Truth of Orthodoxy as discussions in a renovationist school like Holy Cross or St. Vlads, nay, less, for at least at those institutions, you aren't slandered in absentia. My advice would be for all Orthodox Christians who love TRUTH to leave that sorry list behind.

fserafim
Jr Member

Post by fserafim »

Before I sign off from Orthodox lists during the time of the Fast I would like to put the record straight and say my warning about vermin or wolves in sheep clothing are not who Rdr Constantine has chosen to name. I do not accuse fellow clergy but those who have spread and continue to spread dissension in the Church through their teaching and perverse behaviour.

May God grants us a prayerful and enlightening fast.

Fr Serafim

Bogatyr

Have A Beneficial & Spirtually Edifying Fast!

Post by Bogatyr »

Evlogeite Pater.
I wish you a beneficial and spiritually edifying fast!
Orthodoxia I Thanatos!
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky