The Message by Eugene Peterson

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Message by Eugene Peterson

Post by Maria »

The Message by Eugene Peterson is a modern translation of the Bible using slang.

It is so dissipative that it is very distractive and disrespectful. I was wondering if any of you have had an opportunity to scan through it.

Unfortunately, this book is required reading for one of my college classes and it seems like the professor is attempting to destroy whatever faith the young college students have.

I'm reading the Jerusalem Bible (1968) translation before I quickly scan the Message (since it will be on the midterm and final).

Psalm 1 in The Message was unrecognizable. Peterson used the words "Smart Mouth College in the first verse of Psalm 1!

Anyway, what are your opinions, suggestions, whatever.

YSIC,
Maria

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

If you have to write a paper on it, I would rip the translation to shreds literarily rather than literally and compare the Psalms to The Psalter of the Seventy by Saint David the Prophet and King and translated by Holy Transfiguration Monastery and if you have to read the Gospels, I would compare it to The Orthodox New Testament.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Nicholas wrote:

If you have to write a paper on it, I would rip the translation to shreds literarily rather than literally and compare the Psalms to The Psalter of the Seventy by Saint David the Prophet and King and translated by Holy Transfiguration Monastery and if you have to read the Gospels, I would compare it to The Orthodox New Testament.

Dear Nicholas:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have The New Testament but with what can I compare Deuteronomy, Job an Isaiah. All I have is the RSV and the Jerusalem Bible.

In Christ,
Elizabeth

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

3rd Millennium Bible

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Maria
Archon

Re: 3rd Millennium Bible

Post by Maria »

Nicholas wrote:

I would recommend the Third Millennium Bible: New Authorized Version

Just got the required text through Amazon (so I didn't have to pay full price).

An Orthodox Priest said that you could use Psalm 1 as a benchmark as to the quality of the translation.

The KJV and the Douay Rheims both translate Psalm I:

Blessed is the man. [man refers to Christ]

Now here's just a sampling of The Message (p. 899):

Psalm 1

How well God must like you --
you don't hang out at Sin Saloon,
you dont slink along Dead-End Road
you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

"Scripture taken from THE MESSAGE. Copyright (c) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Co."

I have to read Deuteronomy, Job, Isaiah, the Gospel of St. John, Romans and Revelation.

Pray for me.

Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Man, and I thought Kenneth Taylor's The Living Bible was bad!

Good grief!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I have the Orthodox Study Bible by the St. Athanasius Orthodox Academy. New King James Version. They use the word "you" instead of "thou", but when I read it, I use the "thou" anyways. At the bottom, they have little explanations of some passages. There are icons and short articles about aspects of the Bible, for example...The Sermon on the Mount, The Parables, the priesthood etc. and other helpful teachings about the Orthodox view. Also, they have all the Psalms and other guiding information.

Oh yeah, it also gives an explanation of the books written...the author, the date, major theme, background info, outline of the chapters. It's really informative. Plus a lectionary, listing all the readings according to the weeks, starting with Pascha and then counting the weeks afterwards.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)