The Lord's Prayer

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Matthew
Protoposter

The Lord's Prayer

Post by Matthew »

I just came across this lovely modern translation of "The Lord's Prayer" from a version of the Bible (which they so-approachably renamed with the snappy little title, "The Message"). Here it is:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

The Message (MSG) Matthew 6:9-13
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002
by Eugene H. Peterson

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The Lord's Prayer from The Message

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

I just came across this lovely modern translation of "The Lord's Prayer" from a version of the Bible (which they so-approachably renamed with the snappy little title, "The Message"). Here it is:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

The Message (MSG) Matthew 6:9-13
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002
by Eugene H. Peterson

When I took a course in Western Civilization at my university back in 2004, one of the required "texts" was The Message by Peterson. I asked the professor if I could read the NKJV instead. He reluctantly agreed but said when the class did public readings from The Message, I would not be able to follow along. He was correct, but not right.

I ended up reading both: the NKJV at home and The Message in class. At the end of that course, I returned The Message to the college bookstore. I did not want to keep it.

"Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others."
- This makes no sense. It does not carry the same meaning that Christ intended, "Forgive us our debts (transgressions) as we forgive our debtors (those who trespass against us)," which means that we will be forgiven in the measure that we forgive others.

"Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil." - There is no sense of responsibility implied in this verse.
On the other hand, we pray in the Divine Liturgy, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."
This acknowledges that while the devil does tempt us, we also tempt each other, and that through the grace of God, we can receive strength to keep on the narrow path to salvation. Ultimately, although we still have free will to do good and avoid evil, God does not force His Will upon us.
However, we do need deliverance from the clutches of the Devil.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: The Lord's Prayer

Post by Matthew »

What is really sad, is I don't think they were joking...

What is even more sad than that, is that people...I mean Christians, are actually paying hard earned cash for this garbage and feeding it to themselves and their children.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

What is really sad, is I don't think they were joking...

What is even more sad than that, is that people...I mean Christians, are actually paying hard earned cash for this garbage and feeding it to themselves and their children.

Exactly, Peterson apparently rewrote the Bible for two reasons,
(1) to make the Bible more relative to the youth
(2) to earn some money.

I ended up paying about $5.00 to rent this book for the semester.

It reminded me of Mons. Knox's translation of the New Testament.
This was written to impart the most significant message, but it limited the meaning.

Every time I read the New Testament (NKJV), I can get a different meaning depending on my situation.
While I am repentant, I can rejoice in the Lord's forgiveness.
However, if I were hardened in my sins, then I could become more proud
or I could be converted by the grace of God and moved to tears.

It reminds me of the words of the Old Testament referring to the Pharoah of Egypt during the Exodus:
If today you hear the voice of the Lord, harden not your hearts.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I have never HEARD OF "Peterson" !
I took a very good class in Western European Religious History my freshman year but such a person was never once brought up.
Who on earth IS he ?

If was in Maria's West. Civilization class, that speaks loudly for the low caliber of such courses now.

Good commentaries by Maria and Icxypion.

Additional point : why would it say "Reveal who you are". "You" isn't even capitalized so one can sense the
irreverence from this fact alone.
And then why command God to reveal Himself ?! Who has that right to demand such a thing and so vaguely.
If it said "Reveal Your meanings in verses which are disputed often" one might sort of see that one.

The whole thing is silly and soupy New Age thought, seems like.

"Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil" I guess might make it more Protestant ?
But why "ourselves" FIRST, rather than the Devil mentioned together with his vast hordes of demons ?
That's the real threat.
It's those demons who lead us astray and cause humans to make bad decisions which cost us dear.
So it should be "Don't let us heed the Devil's evil counsel". If this guy or group really wants to improvise something, make it focus clearly on the most realistic threats to our safety, spiritual as well as in every domain !

I didn't even get to the end of that stupid ditty.
Now I see the "yes yes yes". Pathetic ! Must be a football cheer, or something like that ?

Justin Kolodziej
Faith: Want to confess the True Faith without compromise
Jurisdiction: Need to be received by the Church

Post by Justin Kolodziej »

Epic fail, as they say.

Though I have a feeling the standard King Jamesian Lord's Prayer could also be closer to the Greek text.

Wherever even the last two or three are gathered together in His name, there He is in their midst.