Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.

Moderators: Maria, phpBB2 - Administrators

User avatar
Lucian Hodoboc
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed 14 November 2018 7:46 am
Faith: Eastern-Orthodox
Location: Eastern-Europe
Contact:

Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby Lucian Hodoboc » Thu 15 November 2018 11:28 am

In the Roman-Catholic church, I've read and heard about people who can choose a patron saint of their own for whom they show particular devotion (asking said saint to pray for them and having an icon of said saint in their house etc.). Do Orthodox people do this? Are we allowed to have a patron saint or should we venerate all saints in an equal manner?

d9popov
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat 10 June 2017 12:29 am

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby d9popov » Thu 15 November 2018 11:15 pm

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:In the Roman-Catholic church, I've read and heard about people who can choose a patron saint of their own for whom they show particular devotion (asking said saint to pray for them and having an icon of said saint in their house etc.). Do Orthodox people do this? Are we allowed to have a patron saint or should we venerate all saints in an equal manner?


The Mother of God must be given the highest veneration of any created being, higher than any holy angel or human saint other than her. Orthodox Christians do pray to their guardian angel and to their personal patron saint, or the patron saint of their family, their parish, their nation, etc.

User avatar
Lucian Hodoboc
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed 14 November 2018 7:46 am
Faith: Eastern-Orthodox
Location: Eastern-Europe
Contact:

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby Lucian Hodoboc » Tue 25 December 2018 10:25 am

That is quite interesting. :o Is there a particular way in which an Orthodox Christian should choose their patron saint? Is resonating with said saint's life story a good enough reason to choose them as our patron saint?

User avatar
Maria
Archon
Posts: 8377
Joined: Sat 12 June 2004 12:39 am
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC
Location: USA

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby Maria » Tue 25 December 2018 3:32 pm

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:That is quite interesting. :o Is there a particular way in which an Orthodox Christian should choose their patron saint? Is resonating with said saint's life story a good enough reason to choose them as our patron saint?


Often a person's patron saint is the saint whose feast day falls on their birthday.

Other times, a person's patron saint is the feast day in which they are baptized. That happened with me. I was baptized on Nov. 21/Dec.4, which is a Feast Day of the Most Holy Theotokos: Her Entrance into the Temple. Thus, my name became Maria. The Baptism date or date of reception into the Holy Church is set by the Bishop or his delegate, the Priest who performs the Baptism/Chrismation. However, my husband's patron saint is St. Xenia of Kalamata, Greece. While a catechumen, my husband read the life of this unknown martyr who was accidentally removed from the Martyrology, so he was received as Xenios.
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

User avatar
Lucian Hodoboc
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed 14 November 2018 7:46 am
Faith: Eastern-Orthodox
Location: Eastern-Europe
Contact:

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby Lucian Hodoboc » Tue 25 December 2018 5:51 pm

Maria wrote:so he was received as Xenios.


What does "received as Xenios" mean? :?

User avatar
Maria
Archon
Posts: 8377
Joined: Sat 12 June 2004 12:39 am
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC
Location: USA

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Postby Maria » Tue 25 December 2018 9:01 pm

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:
Maria wrote:so he was received as Xenios.


What does "received as Xenios" mean? :?


He was baptized, chrismated, and communed with Xenios, his new chalice name.
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.


Return to “Sacred Scripture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests