Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Lucian Hodoboc
Faith: Eastern-Orthodox

Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

In the Roman-Catholic church, I've read and heard about people who can choose a patron saint of their own for whom they show particular devotion (asking said saint to pray for them and having an icon of said saint in their house etc.). Do Orthodox people do this? Are we allowed to have a patron saint or should we venerate all saints in an equal manner?

d9popov

Re: Are the Orthodox allowed to have patron saints?

Post by d9popov »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:

In the Roman-Catholic church, I've read and heard about people who can choose a patron saint of their own for whom they show particular devotion (asking said saint to pray for them and having an icon of said saint in their house etc.). Do Orthodox people do this? Are we allowed to have a patron saint or should we venerate all saints in an equal manner?

The Mother of God must be given the highest veneration of any created being, higher than any holy angel or human saint other than her. Orthodox Christians do pray to their guardian angel and to their personal patron saint, or the patron saint of their family, their parish, their nation, etc.

Lucian Hodoboc

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

That is quite interesting. :o Is there a particular way in which an Orthodox Christian should choose their patron saint? Is resonating with said saint's life story a good enough reason to choose them as our patron saint?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:

That is quite interesting. :o Is there a particular way in which an Orthodox Christian should choose their patron saint? Is resonating with said saint's life story a good enough reason to choose them as our patron saint?

Often a person's patron saint is the saint whose feast day falls on their birthday.

Other times, a person's patron saint is the feast day in which they are baptized. That happened with me. I was baptized on Nov. 21/Dec.4, which is a Feast Day of the Most Holy Theotokos: Her Entrance into the Temple. Thus, my name became Maria. The Baptism date or date of reception into the Holy Church is set by the Bishop or his delegate, the Priest who performs the Baptism/Chrismation. However, my husband's patron saint is St. Xenia of Kalamata, Greece. While a catechumen, my husband read the life of this unknown martyr who was accidentally removed from the Martyrology, so he was received as Xenios.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Lucian Hodoboc

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

Maria wrote:

so he was received as Xenios.

What does "received as Xenios" mean? :?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:
Maria wrote:

so he was received as Xenios.

What does "received as Xenios" mean? :?

He was baptized, chrismated, and communed with Xenios, his new chalice name.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.