In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonight

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonig

Post by Matthew »

You can always get a crossbow or a compound bow. But for the record, I thought you lived far out in the mountain ranges.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

You can always get a crossbow or a compound bow. But for the record, I thought you lived far out in the mountain ranges.

I live in the foothills. However, even those who live in the mountains cannot shoot cougars unless they are threatened by the animal. When shootings happen, an official investigation is launched, and forensics experts can usually determine if there were any real danger to life or limb, or if the animal were sick or rabid.

In another area of Los Angeles, a pair of cougar cubs (6 months old) somehow got into a neighbor's backyard, but could not escape. Since these cubs were very hungry and disoriented, and posed a threat to the neighborhood, they were killed by animal control officers in cooperation from California wild life officers. It was a sad day.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes that is very sad. But the reasons for putting them down were exactly correct. otherwise, of course we shouldn't even kill the smallest creature without good reason.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Not too far from where we live, and well within the animal's roaming territory, a huge male mountain lion was seen roaming from backyard to backyard in the foothills of North Glendale. It took three tranquilizer darts to finally subdue the cat.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=9062041

Mountain lion roams Glendale neighborhood
Thursday, April 11, 2013

Officials believe the mountain lion came down a wash that runs from the mountains down through the city.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

You should move to NorCal, we don't r eally have those up here :)

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I am so glad it was returned to its normal habitat, rather than killed for no reason.
It didn't do any harm, at least this time.
Hopefully it will stay away forever.

3 Tranquilizers - phew. The poor mountain lion.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Two weeks ago, when our neighbor was pulling gifts from his vehicle, he looked across the street and in our driveway was a huge animal, which was looking at him. This animal was about four feet tall, with a very long tail. Yes, it was a mountain lion. Both the cougar and this lad of 30 stood frozen. Then suddenly, the lion took off at a high rate of speed up the street.