In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonight

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonig

Post by Maria »

Here is a link to the MeatBall story:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/12/31/412 ... er-happen/

Here is a story concerning the problem of inbreeding in California Cougars:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2 ... nbreeding/

Isn't this cub a cutie:

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

Aww that's such a cute little cub. I wish I could have it for a pet; but I'm allergic to felines.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

^ Funny ! Not of pet caliber, however.
I chanced to see this book on display today in Outdoor outfitter store :

This fairly short book published by travel publisher Globe-Pequot narrates true stories of human-cougar enounters in America.
From a glance at the back cover, it sounds like there were some awful incidents.

Hence, no petting the large felines, allergic or not !

By the way, cougars are pictured on the cover of a cat food brand named "Call of the Wild" which is somewhat healthy for ordinary
domestic cats.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

The California State Wildlife Commission on their website recommends the installation of a sensor that will trigger the water sprinkling system should a wild animal (bear, bobcat, cougar, raccoon, or coyote) cross it. However, with a lot of trees on our property, it might not work. We will have to clear a lot of vegetation to expose any hiding places.

Maria
Archon

Mountain lions are reducing the coyote population

Post by Maria »

Actually, the presence of bears and mountain lions is good for the environment. We do not hear the coyotes yipping and yowling as much as they did in the past. Mountain lions have been known to attack coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, and other mammals.

Coyotes were becoming brazen in their daytime attacks on pets and humans. Now we rarely hear about these wild dogs in the news media.

xenondrum

Post by xenondrum »

Our "cat" has been leaving huge paw marks, which I find almost every morning when I do a perimeter check. He apparently feels safe on our property.

We cannot have one of those "Beware Dog" signs as our dog ran away, but maybe we should get one that reads "Beware Big Cat."

StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Post by StephenS »

xenondrum wrote:

Our "cat" has been leaving huge paw marks, which I find almost every morning when I do a perimeter check. He apparently feels safe on our property.

We cannot have one of those "Beware Dog" signs as our dog ran away, but maybe we should get one that reads "Beware Big Cat."

The only downside might be that it attracts some clot with a gun who wants to 'bag' a big cat.