In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonight

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Re: In the forest, the So Cal forest, the cougar roams tonig

Post by JamesR »

Maria wrote:
Icxypion wrote:

You can always get a crossbow or a compound bow. But for the record, I thought you lived far out in the mountain ranges.

I live in the foothills. However, even those who live in the mountains cannot shoot cougars unless they are threatened by the animal. When shootings happen, an official investigation is launched, and forensics experts can usually determine if there were any real danger to life or limb, or if the animal were sick or rabid.

Buy a paintball gun or high-powered air-rifle. It won't kill them, but they'll probably leave you alone after being hit.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

JamesR wrote:

Buy a paintball gun or high-powered air-rifle. It won't kill them, but they'll probably leave you alone after being hit.

Nah! I just say the Jesus Prayer and wave my arms in the Karate "wax on, wax off."

Usually, I make a lot of noise banging on a steel garbage can before venturing outside. With brown bears, cougars, and bob cats around, the recommended trick is to make noise with bells on shoes, etc. This is the technique used in Alaska. Usually when wild animals hear strange noises, they vanish.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That is surely brave of you, Maria.

What is an air-rifle > or a "paintball gun" ?
I might need to find out, that's why I am inquiring !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

That is surely brave of you, Maria.

What is an air-rifle > or a "paintball gun" ?
I might need to find out, that's why I am inquiring !

A paintball gun is used by those who like to attend paintball tournaments. Contestants get dressed in camouflage clothing, and then pay a fee to enter a tournament where a stage is set up with different fronts of buildings, much like an old western stage scene. Then contestants shoot at fellow contestants, who try to duck, dodge, and run. Of course, their clothes can become quite colorful depending on the color of the paintballs used. I do not know the rules of the game, but it is similar to how our armed forces trained for Iraqi operations according to some US vets who served in Iraq. Although Paintballing is not lethal, it can be dangerous and very painful if someone is paintballed in the eyes. For this reason, I think that they are required to wear goggles.

One of our nasty neo-Nazi neighbors sprayed our car with a paintball gun. My husband at first thought it was an egg, but it washed off very nicely. They hit the car and then ran away. Those little cowards.

Although I have never seen a mountain lion up close, I have seen one spin around and leave a cloud of dust when he was about 20 feet away. I spied a long leg, and it was not a bobcat leg. We have also heard a large animal climb up one of our trees. Cougars do that, but so do bears. Thus, climbing a tree to get away from a bear or cougar is not the best plan. Thankfully, since these large wild animals try to avoid contact with us, they are rarely seen, but they are watching us.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, that does sound like the kind of training done in Iraq. I had never heard of this practice of paintballing, though.
Sounds awful !

What do you mean that the spray-painting of your car [was that WITH this same instrument ?]
seemed like an egg to your husband. You mean, tempera paint made from real egg ?

I am very glad that it washed off. That's really awful !
I wonder how many neo-Nazis are around in the Western states? Anyone know ?

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

You have brown bears in SoCal? That sounds even more frightening than the cougars. We don't have much predators in NorCal, save the occasional black bear, most of which are timid and afraid of humans.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

JamesR wrote:

You have brown bears in SoCal? That sounds even more frightening than the cougars. We don't have much predators in NorCal, save the occasional black bear, most of which are timid and afraid of humans.

Have you ever heard of MeatBall? He was foraging in garages looking for food in freezers in La Crescenta, California. That city is near us, so he could have roamed in our yard too. He was tranquilized and transferred to a facility that cares for bears as he was captured twice but came back. In fact, the Rose Bowl Parade float featuring MeatBall won a prize.