Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Post by Barbara »

I admit I used like The Weather Channel, mainly because I was accustomed to it. One day, the company forced each user to sign an agreement that The Weather Channel could fish around in each customer's computer ! I promptly took off that program and have never looked at the site again. Now I can see why after what you wrote, Maria. Thanks for that helpful tip.

I returned to say that I just saw that Kilauea is sending the material 30,000 feet into the air !
But now reading the alarming news that you are experiencing the effects of this eruption all the way in Los Angeles, it seems clear that the ash is spewing out both vertically into the atmosphere and horizontally across the Pacific. Wow, that is really powerful.
I am so sorry you and Xenios have to endure the uncomfortable symptoms and eerie changes of colors and lighting in the sky. I will look up ochre.

Please keep us posted. Hopefully all this will abate soon.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park /b is unique in the national park system because it sometimes has extremely high concentrations of sulfur dioxide — far higher than any other national park, or even most urban areas.
How can sulfur dioxide affect your health?

Sulfur dioxide irritates the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. High concentrations of SO2 can cause inflammation and irritation of the respiratory system, especially during heavy physical activity. The resulting symptoms can include pain when taking a deep breath, coughing, throat irritation, and breathing difficulties. High concentrations of SO2 can affect lung function, worsen asthma attacks, and worsen existing heart disease in sensitive groups. This gas can also react with other chemicals in the air and change to a small particle that can get into the lungs and cause similar health effects.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/humanhealth-sulfur.htm

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

I had been meaning to ask if the other islands have been affected. So Justice, you think Oahu is far enough away to have escaped these noxious fumes and clouds of ash ?

There hasn't been any reports of it coming into Oahu.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

An article about some dangers the volcano could produce: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/us/hawai ... ards-trnd/

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

I’ve arrived in Honolulu and there’s no ash in sight.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

I’ve arrived in Honolulu and there’s no ash in sight.

Yes, whenever the Pineapple Express blows, the winds and moisture flow East toward California, not West.

Enjoy your stay in Honolulu. Is this your first time in Paradise?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Some terms used in Hawaii:

VOG = Volcanic fog

LAZE = Lava Haze

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/1 ... or-pahala/

9 AM Hawaiian time, updated May 20, 2018

The Hawaii Volcano Observatory is reporting that the two lava flows entering the ocean near the 13-mile marker have caused sulfur dioxide levels to triple. Hawaii County Civil Defense officials are urging people in the area to take necessary action to avoid exposure. Northeast winds are pushing laze and SO2 southwest for the time being. ...

7 AM Hawaiian time, updated May 20, 2018

Civil Defense warns that lava entering the ocean poses the issue of laze, which is formed when hot lava makes contact with ocean water, sending hydrochloric acid and steam with fine glass particles into the air Laze can cause lung, eye and skin irritation. Laze plumes travel with the wind and can change direction without warning, Civil Defense said.