Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

I’ve arrived in Honolulu and there’s no ash in sight.

Yes, whenever the Pineapple Express blows, the winds and moisture flow East toward California, not West.

Enjoy your stay in Honolulu. Is this your first time in Paradise?

Thank you Maria. Yes this is my first time in Hawaii.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

If you are in Honolulu, see if you can visit the ROCOR (MP) church there.

The Hawaiian Ivernon Icon might be present if she is not visiting other parishes.

I have her fragrant oil in my bedroom, and it is still a fragrant oil even though I got it more than two years ago.

Many times, when in pain, I have applied the oil to my forehead, and I have been immediately cured.

https://orthodoxhawaii.org/

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Have a wonderful stay, Justice ! I fondly remember Oahu from trips during my youth and a quick stopover en route back from somewhere farther in the Pacific, oh and now that I recall, a trip to Kauai too [ more green and quite pleasant ] when my relative's friend was getting married there.

It's been a long time, though, since I've been there. Tell us your impressions ! I will be interested to hear.

If it's OK, I will mention that I saw a video which included mention of the present Priest at that Rocor-MP parish. He was a protestant in Alaska and had a vision telling him to "become Orthodox". He didn't even know what Orthodox MEANT< as you can imagine. But he went and asked some Russian Orthodox clergy in the area there and pursued his theological studies. Is now the Priest in that Honolulu parish with the Myrrhstreaming Icon after the last one, Fr Anatole Lyovin, retired. The latter's wife wrote a very interesting bio of Fr Anatole's mother and her escape from Revolutionary Russia. It's called Valentina.
Here is the link if anyone is interested. Myself I love those tales of the White Russians' escape from the Bolsheviks and subsequent lives abroad in China or Europe :

Valentina, the mother, ended her days in Sacramento, California, where she did a task of great benefit to all appreciators of the Optina Elders. She translated the Life of Elder Macarius, a treasure trove to which I refer often. A big help !
So here is a little slice of history of that parish.

Time for a TOC parish -- in a SAFE locale -- in the Hawaiian Islands, I am sure we all agree.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Have a wonderful stay, Justice ! I fondly remember Oahu from trips during my youth and a quick stopover en route back from somewhere farther in the Pacific, oh and now that I recall, a trip to Kauai too [ more green and quite pleasant ] when my relative's friend was getting married there.

It's been a long time, though, since I've been there. Tell us your impressions ! I will be interested to hear.

If it's OK, I will mention that I saw a video which included mention of the present Priest at that Rocor-MP parish. He was a protestant in Alaska and had a vision telling him to "become Orthodox". He didn't even know what Orthodox MEANT< as you can imagine. But he went and asked some Russian Orthodox clergy in the area there and pursued his theological studies. Is now the Priest in that Honolulu parish with the Myrrhstreaming Icon after the last one, Fr Anatole Lyovin, retired. The latter's wife wrote a very interesting bio of Fr Anatole's mother and her escape from Revolutionary Russia. It's called Valentina.
Here is the link if anyone is interested. Myself I love those tales of the White Russians' escape from the Bolsheviks and subsequent lives abroad in China or Europe :

Valentina, the mother, ended her days in Sacramento, California, where she did a task of great benefit to all appreciators of the Optina Elders. She translated the Life of Elder Macarius, a treasure trove to which I refer often. A big help !
So here is a little slice of history of that parish.

Time for a TOC parish -- in a SAFE locale -- in the Hawaiian Islands, I am sure we all agree.

Thank you Barbara, I’ll definitely make sure of it. Do you know if this Church was built before the 2007 union?

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

See below: somehow the post got repeated.

Last edited by Barbara on Tue 22 May 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good question. I am not sure whether this parish yet has a permanent Church building, as I saw something about collecting funds for that purpose on their website.

As an institution, though, Russian Orthodoxy has had a presence in Honolulu since Archpriest Jacob Korchinsky celebrated the 1st Divine Liturgy for the Feast of the Nativity, Jan 7, 1916.

Fr Jacob Korchinsky, later a New Martyr sadly

Apparently, at the turn of the 20th century, there was some significant presence of Russian Orthodox on Oahu. A formal request was made by them for a Priest.
I am not sure whether the presence of clergy has been continuous since the stay of Fr Jacob. This present parish says it was established in 1984. From then on, it was served by clergy of Rocor's Western American Diocese, including Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco and staunch anti-Communist Archbishop Anthony of Los Angeles. Unusually, the parish keeps a list of all former clergy, even temporary administrators, in gratitude for their service. It probably is fun to reside there, but requires a sacrifice as far as cost of living and other inconveniences.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-volca ... 45382.html

Samuel Osborne
,The Independent•May 28, 2018

A potentially explosive well at a geothermal power station on Hawaii has been covered by lava from the erupting Kilauea volcano after it flowed onto the site.

Locals fear an explosion of deadly hydrogen sulphide and other gasses should the well be ruptured.

Lava has never engulfed a geothermal power plant anywhere in the world and the potential threat is untested, according to the head of the state’s emergency management agency. ...

Click the link above to view the entire article.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.