Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Trouble in Paradise - Kilauea explodes on May 15, 2018

Post by Maria »

Another update (Excerpt):

The Independent•May 29, 2018

An eruption from Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano spewed ash almost two and a half miles, or 13,000ft, into the sky, while a new fissure pumped out three feet of lava a second.

The blast from the summit’s Halemaumau crater sent smog billowing into the air while the lava made its way into evacuated areas in the eastern corner of Hawaii’s Big Island.

Easterly winds are expected to push volcanic gases, vog and ash westward towards more communities, officials said.

In Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens lava flow has spread over 3.7 square miles from around two dozen fissures. Because the lava was spread out over a wide area, however, the frontier of the flow was only moving at about three feet per second. ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blast-hawaii ... 16244.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

More evacuations ordered under penalty of arrest or mandated payment to rescue (if possible).

... All residents of the Leilani Estates neighborhood of the Big Island were required to evacuate by noon Friday local time or risk being stranded in their homes, according to a declaration from Hawaii County Civil Defense. Officials also told residents that if they get stuck after Friday, rescuers might not be able to respond.

Those who stay behind could also face arrest or be forced to pay for the cost of their rescue, should one be needed, the declaration added. Some 1,500 people live in Leilani Estates, which is located east of Kilauea's main caldera.

"I can no longer afford to put residents at risk," Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim said during a press conference. "I can no longer afford to put DOCARE, police, fire, National Guard to go banging in the dark of a neighborhood they don't know to say, 'You must get out now.'" ...

To read the entire article, visit (if you dare) https://weather.com/news/news/2018-05-0 ... o-activity

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice,

Are you safe? We have not heard from you in a while.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This photo looks like a July 4th display, instead it is a Kilauean explosion.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is a lovely but dangerous shot of Kilauea in action.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:

Justice,

Are you safe? We have not heard from you in a while.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting as often. I've returned from Hawaii safe and sound.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

By Terray Sylvester
Reuters June 3, 2018

PAHOA, Hawaii (Reuters) - National Guard troops, police and firefighters ushered the last group of evacuees from homes on the eastern tip of Hawaii's Big Island early on Saturday, hours before lava from the Kilauea volcano cut off road access to the area, officials said.

A stream of lava as wide as three football fields flowed over a highway near a junction at Kapoho, a seaside community of rebuilt after a destructive eruption of Kilauea in 1960. ...

"Lava entered Green Lake within Kapoho Crater, producing a large steam plume ... A Hawaiian County Fire Department overflight reported that the lava filled the lake and apparently evaporated all the water," the report said.

To read the complete article, please visit:
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hawaii-evacue ... 54295.html

Warning: There are some indecent pictures on the yahoo website, so for your reading pleasure, I have only copied three sentences that tell the entire story. Thus, it is not necessary to visit yahoo at all.