Blue Blood [Aristocratic !?] Super Moon Jan 31 2018

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Blue Blood [Aristocratic !?] Super Moon Jan 31 2018

Post by Barbara »

"A blood moon is a term used to describe a total lunar eclipse, which is when the moon appears darkened as it passes through the Earth's shadow. The total lunar eclipse is given the "blood" nickname because of the "beautiful" red color caused by the projection of all of the Earth's sunrises and sunsets onto its surface, Petro said. The next lunar eclipse visible in the U.S. will be on Jan. 21, 2019, according to NASA. It won't be a blue moon, but it will be a super moon. A super moon is a full moon or new moon that coincides with the moon's position at its closest to the Earth.
A blue moon is merely a "quirk in the calendar," as the second full moon in a month, Petro said, adding that there is "nothing really to see there."

In the early morning hours of Jan. 31, the moon will transform to a reddish hue as becomes completely submerged in the Earth's shadow, Petro said.
Who can see the super blue blood moon?
All those on the West Coast will have to do is get up extremely early -- before 4 a.m.-- and look up to the western sky. They will see the moon, which will dim as it passes into the Earth's shadow, Petro said.
In San Francisco, for example, the partial eclipse will begin at 3:48 a.m. and go into total eclipse from 4:51 a.m. to 6:07 a.m., according to NASA.
The farther east you go, the less you'll be able to see."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/expert-tips-wa ... d=52610037

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Blue Blood [Aristocratic !?] Super Moon Jan 31 2018

Post by Barbara »

I woke up all night that night, afraid to miss the occasion. However, at the appointed hour, it was cloudy. No moon whatsoever !

Here is a spectacular picture from Athens, Greece of the lunar phenomenon juxtaposed with the great classical temple the Parthenon :

Beneath the Acropolis pictured here is the Areopagus, a rock outcropping where St Paul preached. Did the Apostle witness anything like this modern-termed blue blood supermoon during the 2 years he lived there ?!

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

It was cloudy here also. Nice picture of the Moon over Athens!

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh thanks, Luke. There were many beautiful pics but this was the most breathtaking of the batch I saw.
Seems like everyone ELSE saw the trifecta moon - I think is what it is called - from the photos, so I am glad to know that someone else had cloudy skies. What a disappointment ! I never attempt to get up at strange hours just for such a thing but this time I thought it sounded intriguing enough. Especially since it was the 1st of these in 150 YEARS !
Result turned out to be on the minus side, though : interrupted sleep, and still no view.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Trifecta Moon over the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Thailand. Since 1782, this was the residence of the Kings of Siam and Thailand until around 1925, when the Thai royals moved elsewhere. Now it is a prime tourist destination.

https://wtop.com/science/2018/01/lunar- ... s/slide/1/

Oops, won't copy. Anyway, the lunar setting is exotic : one can go to the link above to see.

Last edited by Maria on Sun 4 February 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the image code so that people can visit the website linked above.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for fixing that, Maria.

Here is a nice image from a Boise, Idaho photographer not of this recent moon configuration, but a previous supermoon from June 22, 2013. Let's call that, then, a plebeian super moon perhaps...

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Thanks for fixing that, Maria.

Here is a nice image from a Boise, Idaho photographer not of this recent moon configuration, but a previous supermoon from June 22, 2013. Let's call that, then, a plebeian super moon perhaps...

Lovely photo.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.