Viewing the Sun Safely during the Day or during a Solar Eclipse

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Viewing the Sun Safely during the Day or during a Solar Eclipse

Post by Luke »

When it comes to viewing a solar eclipse, I am hearing contradicting opinions.

1. Do not look at the sun directly when it is a partial eclipse, but I can look at it when it is total.

2. Do not look at a solar eclipse at all. It can cause eye damage.

Of course, both opinions allow one to look with proper protection. Anyone have a definite answer to this?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Viewing the Sun Safely during the Day or during a Solar Eclipse

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

When it comes to viewing a solar eclipse, I am hearing contradicting opinions.

1. Do not look at the sun directly when it is a partial eclipse, but I can look at it when it is total.

2. Do not look at a solar eclipse at all. It can cause eye damage.

Of course, both opinions allow one to look with proper protection. Anyone have a definite answer to this?

Just as you are not supposed to look directly at lighting emitted from those non-incandescent light bulbs made in China, neither are you to look directly at the sun during the day, during a partial eclipse, or during a total eclipse.. You can look at the moon during an eclipse in the evening after the sun has set and before the sun has risen in the morning sky.

There is information that looking directly at non-incandescent light bulbs from China can cause macular degeneration, both the dry and wet type. Viewing TV and iPhones might do the same damage. Hence, just to be safe, I would not even recommend using a Kindle or other computer device to read books.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Thanks. I use a desktop computer screen when I have to read things on a computer, but when I read books, I read them in paper format.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Here is a book that might help:

http://www.amazingsky.com/eclipsebook.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.