Esperanto: the answer to language communication

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Esperanto: the answer to language communication

Post by Justice »

Esperanto was first developed in Europe in 1897 to be the world language it's a mix of romance and slavic languages. It's easy to learn and very fun to speak and it has many solutions to travel problems today. Say your going to France and don't know how to speak French, well if everybody know how to speak Esperanto it would be easier for tourists officials away on business meetings and would all in all bring countries closer together. Maybe one day we can use it during divine liturgy (though it's unfortunate it's associated with communism).

Video of Esperanto being spoken:

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Esperanto: the answer to language communication

Post by Luke »

How does it handle idioms?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

How does it handle idioms?

Good question.

Since all living languages change over time, idioms also develop and become the means of jokes, which often confuse those who are learning new languages. This is the reason why dictionaries must be published every few years as new words and new idioms are constantly being "coined."

Is Esperanto now considered to be a living language? In other words, are there communities which speak it as one of their native languages, which was acquired in infancy? If so, then there will be the development of new idiomatic expressions and new words. Otherwise, there may have been some idioms that were placed into Esperanto from the Russian, Spanish, etc. when that language was invented.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Esperanto is a rare but alive language. As for idioms i'm not sure, I'm still learning it myself.

Dio havas komplato sur nin (God have mercy on us)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Justice.

It has been a while since I have looked at Esperanto as it was mostly ignored when I studied Linguistics.

Here is an interesting site that gives the history of Esperanto.
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/esperanto.htm

Today Esperanto is the most widely used international auxiliary language and is particularly popular in Eastern Europe and China. There is a flourishing Esperanto literature including books, magazines and poetry. Some of the literary works are originally written in Esperanto while others are translated from other languages. There are also Esperanto songs and a number of radio stations broadcast news bulletins in Esperanto.

There are approximately 1,000 native speakers of Esperanto, 10,000 people can speak Esperanto fluently, 100,000 can use it actively, 1 million understand a lot of Esperanto, and about 10 million have studied it to some extent.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Currently getting closer to being fluent in Esperanto, Just need to learn more pronouns. En la nomo de la patro, kaj la filo, kaj de la sankta spirito, amen

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

This is a invention of the freemasonry !