DO NOT TOUCH strange objects when hiking

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

DO NOT TOUCH strange objects when hiking

Post by Maria »

By Laura Zuckerman

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - A "cyanide bomb" planted by U.S. predator-control agents targeting coyotes near homes and hiking trails in Idaho exploded when a boy handled the device, injuring him and killing his dog, authorities and relatives said on Friday.

Canyon Mansfield, 14, was playing with his yellow Labrador retriever, Casey, on Thursday afternoon near his home east of Pocatello when he saw what he thought was a sprinkler head on the ground and touched the device, causing it to detonate.

The explosion sprayed the boy and his 3-year-old, 90-pound (40 kg) pet with toxic cyanide gas, according to the boy's mother, Theresa Mansfield.

For the complete story, please visit
https://www.yahoo.com/news/idaho-boy-in ... 50761.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: DO NOT TOUCH strange objects when hiking

Post by Barbara »

Thanks, Maria, for posting this. I saw many headlines about this, but had no idea of the actual story.
Controversy seems to be swirling about it and the mother interviewed quite a bit.

Assuredly, it is sad.

Alarmingly, on the western side of the state, this morning, Saturday, another dog was killed.
A frightening man appeared on a major hiking trail in the foothills of the state capital, Boise. He threatened a number of hikers and their dogs. This person killed one canine before being apprehended by what looked like a bevy of police who quickly arrived on the scene. He fired at the officers before being killed himself.

Lesson [ to me ] : STAY OUT OF CROWDED PLACES altogether !

PS I wonder why your story is datelined Salmon, which is in quite a different area, if the event occurred in Pocatello ?
I guess the Reuters stringer must be located there.

By the way, the number of negative stories about Idaho which make it to the national media is almost unbelievable !
No one would ever relocate to Idaho if they read even half of the NYT, etc. articles !

Here, however, is an excerpt from the Boise newspaper rebutting that contention :

"Here in Boise, we are used to a parade of national magazines and... informational websites picking us as a great place to bike, retire, start a business or raise a family. We make lists like the West’s Best Kept Secret or, as [ New York website ] Thrillist choose in February, “Under-Appreciated American Cities You Should Totally Move To.”"

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loca ... 74223.html
[ includes 1 minute video, not wonderful narration but a few scenic views ]