Household goods which can be toxic

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Household goods which can be toxic

Post by Barbara »

The sentences in italics are my commentary ; the rest is quoted from the brief article linked to below.

"Candles

It is believed that the candle wicks are made out of lead wires. A candle that has a lead wick releases lead five times higher than the permissible amount of lead for children. With this the Environmental Protection Agency pollution standards for open air are also exceeded. If your children are exposed to high amounts of lead it may cause many serious health problems such as: hormone disruption, learning disabilities, behavioral problems etc. If you do not want to risk your health, we suggest using beeswax candles which are made out of cotton wicks."

Note : this shows how the Orthodox have been wise all along to use and stay with beeswax candles ! They seem so natural. I never dreamed about the possibility of the wicks on standard candles being anything suspicious.

"Shower Curtains

You may not know, but the plastic curtains in your bathroom release harmful chemicals called VOCs. These chemicals are not only released in your bathroom, but in the environment around it too. Preserve your health and be careful with all the above mentioned products."

I have long felt skeptical about shower curtains. They look dangerous to my eyes, especially the type marked "PVC".
PVC as many of us know, is what plumbing pipe is made out of. It is great as a replacement for the old galvanized pipe but should not heat up with hot water from the shower and bath. I would surmise that the poisonous elements likely leach out faster that way.

I would never choose one for interior use. Convenient for a tarp outdoors, but best to search for a REAL "FABRIC" shower curtain and liner. It's not easy to find them anymore. Bed Bath and Beyond does sell a few shower curtains with colorful prints which are 100 % cotton. These are made in India. I wouldn't trust any shower curtain material made in China, even if the label does read "Fabric". Shower curtains are more important than one thinks, for they are in close proximity to one at least once a day usually - unless one is a desert-dwelling hermit !

Also, the fact that a shower area is usually not well ventilated with a window to the outdoors in more modern style houses or hotel rooms means that one is breathing in along with steam whatever toxic chemicals happen to be in that curtain.

1) The fabric would be polyester, not cotton

2) Who knows what toxins are present due to the notoriously unhealthy Chinese manufacturing processes ?

For the other 4 problematic household items, see :

http://grabyourhealthy.com/2016/05/03/6 ... mediately/#