Earth's Magnetic Field is Changing

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Earth's Magnetic Field is Changing

Post by Maria »

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2016

EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD IS CHANGING:

A new study by the European Space Agency's constellation of Swarm satellites reveals that changes may be happening even faster than previously thought. In this map, blue depicts where Earth's magnetic field is weak and red shows regions where it is strong:

[Scroll down to see the image of the earth and the magnetic field]

Data from Swarm, combined with observations from the CHAMP and Ørsted satellites, show clearly that the field has weakened by about 3.5% at high latitudes over North America, while it has strengthened about 2% over Asia. The region where the field is at its weakest – the South Atlantic Anomaly – has moved steadily westward and weakened further by about 2%. These changes have occured over the relatively brief period between 1999 and mid-2016.

Earth's magnetic field protects us from solar storms and cosmic rays
. Less magnetism means more radiation can penetrate our planet's atmosphere. Indeed, high altitude balloons launched by Spaceweather.com routinely detect increasing levels of cosmic rays over California. Perhaps the ebbing magnetic field over North America contributes to that trend.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Earth's Magnetic Field is Changing

Post by Luke »

I don't see an image of the earth and the file -- although I think it is a very interesting article either way.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I don't see the chart either. But it's consoling to know that even our trusty Admin has trouble once in a long time in posting images !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

I don't see an image of the earth and the file -- although I think it is a very interesting article either way.

Thank you, Luke.

I corrected the link. Now if you scroll down, you will see the earth's magnetic field.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I don't see the chart either. But it's consoling to know that even our trusty Admin has trouble once in a long time in posting images !

Yes, and unfortunately, the image was too large to post here, so all I could do is give the link to the entire page at spaceweather.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Thanks. That is an interesting map,