Miracle story of dog's survival on freeway

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Miracle story of dog's survival on freeway

Post by Barbara »

"For five weeks, the German Shepherd was stranded on the highway’s center median, surrounded by racing cars and without food.

"The police in Galt, about 25 miles southeast of Sacramento, first got a call April 10 from someone who reported seeing Frida fall out of a pickup truck, KCRA reported. For the next few weeks, officers fielded calls nearly every other day alerting them to the limping dog living in the middle of Highway 99. But whenever police went out to search the median, swathed in flowering oleander bushes, they couldn’t find the injured animal.

---[ Finally, she was captured by persistent police on Saturday, May 14, who took her to a vet for urgent care : a whopping 20 lb weight loss, dehyration and a broken hind leg, presumably from the fall from the pickup. ] ---

"It was obviously pretty devoted to its owners and stayed in the island waiting for them to come back for five weeks,” veterinarian Mike Johnson told KCRA.

"How Frida [the German Shepherd's temporary nickname] managed to survive without a source of food and water is also a mystery, Johnson told the TV station. “We were speculating on what she’s been doing for food and water these last five weeks… maybe the rain.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... rylink=cpy

Commenters are vocally criticizing the owners, who never bothered to come back to find their pet. Or maybe didn't notice she was gone until too late, but bizarrely made no effort to retrace their route to locate her.

A point to be remembered is that it's very dangerous to have a pet in the open bed of a pickup truck.
I always wonder when I see dogs lounging around in the back as the driver barrels along how any sensible owner would take such a risk. There have been several stories in my area where dogs were thrown out of pickup trucks during accidents. In each case, the canine was found by a sympathetic local who lived near the road and gave special care to the animal until the owners were able to reclaim them.

I also saw a smallish dog sticking its nose far out of a driver's vent [that triangular window ahead of the usual glass] and wondered how wise driving like THAT is.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Miracle story of dog's survival on freeway

Post by Barbara »

Freeway Frida has mostly dropped out of the news.

Apparently her owners never stepped forward.

The latest news, though, is from the Feast of the Translation of the Relics of St Nicholas, Sunday May 22.
The sturdy German Shepherd underwent her first surgery and seems to be all right. In general, she is recovering from that nightmare ordeal.
Can any of us imagine 5 weeks stuck on a busy freeway median ? Oleander bushes in which to hide or not, it could not have been pleasant.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Miracle story of dog's survival on freeway

Post by Barbara »

Long overdue update :

Freeway Frida was adopted in June by the same police officer who spoke with the press about this catastrophe, which attracted national attention. No one came forward to claim the wounded German Shepherd, so the officer generously took her home despite already having a few other animals :

"Frida’s new family, Galt Police Officer Sylvia Coelho and her husband, Rick, also includes a chihuahua ....and three cats....

“I’ve got her bed, her toys, her treats,” Coelho said. “I’m so excited!”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... rylink=cpy

Reminder, though : don't let a dog ride in the back of a pickup truck ! Asking for trouble.