Natalie Wood : proud of Russian blood

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Natalie Wood : proud of Russian blood

Post by Barbara »

This is a nothing little article. But the fluff piece elicited an interesting comment. I thought it was commendable that the actress did not forget her ancestry.

Somebody wrote :

"I had the pleasure of meeting Natalie in San Francisco. She was exiting a restaurant in China Town .... and I jokingly said, "Hey, you look like Natalie Wood." she laughed and we started talking. She was very proud of her Russian heritage and she was telling me that she was born in San Francisco and grew up in Santa Rosa. She was extremely friendly and we talked for about 20 minutes.... "

http://news.yahoo.com/natalie-woods-dau ... 06432.html

The daughter interviewed was from Natalie Wood's earlier marriage, by the way.
I x'd out every mention in the comment of her later husband [ I forget which number, as I recall they divorced and remarried ] robert wagner as I always felt he is a very guilty party regarding her sudden demise. He used his power and money to combat all the rumors building over the years, but suspicion won't go away that he was responsible. That may never be proved in his lifetime, but perhaps later.

One note of vague interest is that her tombstone has a Russian 3-barred cross on it. I say vague because Natalie Wood, while baptized in a Rocor Church in San Francisco, was none too religious as an adult.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Natalie Wood : proud of Russian blood

Post by Luke »

I did not know that Natalie Wood was Orthodox. A few years ago, the Mrs. and I watched some T. V. documentary that talked about what happened that last night on the ship. It did not sound good.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

I did not know that Natalie Wood was Orthodox. A few years ago, the Mrs. and I watched some T. V. documentary that talked about what happened that last night on the ship. It did not sound good.

That episode reminded me of Anna Karenina, which was mandatory reading during my high school senior year. No wonder Russia fell into atheistic communism.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

I remember in the early 2000s that I read War and Peace. I thought it was an excellent work, so I tried Anna Karenina. I forced myself to read the first hundred pages, but I was so bored with it, I quit then.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

I remember in the early 2000s that I read War and Peace. I thought it was an excellent work, so I tried Anna Karenina. I forced myself to read the first hundred pages, but I was so bored with it, I quit then.

I had to skim through that novel as we had to write two essays on it. On the final paper, I wrote about Anna's moral and social decline once she left her husband and entered into an illicit affair.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I have completely forgotten the plot of Anna Karenina. I didn't remember about Anna's affair at all - thanks for reminding us, Maria. That does sort of sound like Natalie - but as bad were her husbands and various other men in her life, of which there were unfortunately many.
By the way, I never was sure why Anna Karenina was considered such great literature. I guess i don't care for that kind of thing.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Now in reply to Luke, I remembered offhand that Natalie married in a [non-Rocor = bad choice ] church in Los Angeles for one of her marriages. So I looked that up and confirmed that it is the OCA's Holy Virgin Cathedral.
Well, when I checked that website, the picture hardly resembles a cathedral...

What I think no one has yet uncovered is that this church was originally named for the Icon of Mother of God "Rescuer of the Perishing".

Now if you read even one in-depth article about Natalie's final moments, surely that would have been the perfect title of the Mother of God for the actress to call out to. For she had a terrible death by drowning. She actually called to those in neighboring yachts for help. For some weird reason, none of the nearby boaters acted upon this. They only realized later when the news hit the world which woman's voice it was who had been calling out frantically. At the time, one wife said she felt she should do something, but felt too tired [or something like that]. What a pity !
However, far better for Natalie to have beseeched help from Heaven. She certainly knew enough about the Orthodox faith to be aware that the Heavenly Queen always heeds the cries of all supplicants.

This is a warning for all who diverge away from the faith. Look what happened : a seemingly 'freak' death which could incredibly easily have been prevented.

Also, the question might be too, why Natalie picked this OCA venue instead of Rocor's Churches ? There were 2 in the Los Angeles area, after all. This OCA parish claims she was an actual parishioner there. I am not sure about that, but it was selected for her first marriage, to an Englishman, Richard Gregson. This is the father of the woman interviewed in the article i originally posted on the thread, just to attempt to sort out who is whom in Natalie's complicated life.

I saw a wedding photo but failed to copy it correctly, as I consulted Maria's instructions, but I don't have "Copy Image Location" in the choices for some reason. Or else, could it be prevented from being copied by the website ? Here is the link for it if anyone is interested.

Now, here, too, one can see her 2 subsequent weddings to actor Robert Wagner [more later about that situation].
In neither does she appear to be exiting any sort of Church, let alone an Orthodox one. I would wager a guess that he was a horrible influence on Natalie - in many ways.