RED AURORAS

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: RED AURORAS

Post by Barbara »

Wow some really nice lights !
Is that the Milky Way above the man in the picture ? I am not sure if I have ever seen it.

The April 1 [ maybe she meant it as an April's Fool's joke ? ] pic is extraordinary.

These are all so uplifting to see. Glad that Matthew is joining in posting pics here, too !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Wow some really nice lights !
Is that the Milky Way above the man in the picture ? I am not sure if I have ever seen it.

The April 1 [ maybe she meant it as an April's Fool's joke ? ] pic is extraordinary.

These are all so uplifting to see. Glad that Matthew is joining in posting pics here, too !

Barbara, the Milky Way Galaxy is part of our home in the Universe. It is huge and contains billions or trillions of stars.

The greyish-chocolate or milky area in the sky of the photo below is called the Milky Way. Although it makes me salivate, I know that this Milky Way bar is not good for me.

This is the Milky Way pictured above Mt. Shasta in Northern California.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Beautiful picture of Mt Shasta. The Milky Way above even makes it more striking.

Ha ha that was funny how you included the pic of the candy bar ! I never thought of that connection.
Glad you overcame that temptation to buy and eat one of the no-good bars. Look even at the filling : terrible !
Imagine that being stuck in your stomach forever... forever...forever. Would you still feel the same urge to eat it THEN ?!

All joking aside, I appreciate the information. I could not recall what on earth - or in the sky - the Milky Way is.

I see there is another thread, too, about it. Good I am being educated, at quite an appropriate time when that Star that the Magi followed from exotic Eastern lands would nearly be hovering over the Bethlehem stable.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is another red aurora with the Milky Way in the background taken by Ole Salomonsen on January 2, 2016 from Tromsø, NORWAY

On Jan 2nd I was out looking for auroras and whales with my friend Christine. Auroras was strong at the beginning of the evening but activity faded later on. Only faint bands were visible around midnight.

Luckily I had told Christine to bring a white dress for a possible astro-portrait-shoot under the stars and auroras.

Milky way watching is not optimal at my latitudes. However I still think it was strong enough for a good under the stars portrait.

Huge credit to Christine managing to sitt still for many shots lasting several seconds, in freezing cold (-12C) for me to be able to complete the shoot.

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_up ... 5i9mfbh9h3

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The white dress DOES accentuate the beautiful hues of the sky and echoes the white of the Milky Way.
I wish she had selected a more inspiring dress, however, with full skirt. This one looks like a negligee.

But to sit out there in minus 12 centigrade certainly was brave of her. That would be about minus 20 Fahrenheit.
Unbelievable. Despite the cold, Norway is certainly blessed with many such incredible scenes due to its northern latitude.

Fun to read the explanation about how the picture was created !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is a lovely purple and green aurora taken by Christian Schartner on January 11, 2016 from Gällivare, Sweden

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This lovely aurora was taken by Kristy on October 6, 2015 from Minnesota. I guess that she misplaced this photo.