Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Post by Barbara »

That is indeed ridiculous, Maria, that NASA is feebly trying to link these cloud formations to -- climate change ?! WHO would believe that except a few ecologists ?

Interesting what you said about the reason for the increase in these dramatic sky vistas. That surely must be the cause. Thanks for your learned observations which help us to assess realistically what is truly going on out there - and up there in the heavens !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Photographed over Calgary, Alberta by Harlan Thomas

"On the evening of June 30th, I faithfully checked the Spaceweather.com AIM daisy and saw that noctilucent clouds were forming over North America," says Thomas. "So I drove my Jeep to a dark location outside Calgary--and promptly fell asleep."

"About 30 minutes after midnight on July 1st something woke me up," he adds. "The noctilucent clouds had appeared, and they were not alone. I was surprised to see some green auroras as well."

Indeed, the auroras were a surprise. There were no sunspots, no solar flares, and no CMEs on June 30th, yet skies turned green anyway. Here's what happened: Earth passed through a region of space filled with negative-polarity magnetic fields (known to researchers as "negative B sub z"). Such fields can open a crack in Earth's magnetosphere. Solar wind pours in and sparks auroras--no sunspots required

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2016

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The photographer is fortunate that maybe his Guardian Angel tapped him on the shoulder to wake him up ! He could so easily have slept through the entire beautiful display.

That shade of green is amazing.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

METEOR SMOKE MAKES STRANGE CLOUDS: Have you ever looked at a noctilucent cloud (NLC) and thought ... that looks alien? In fact, it is. A key ingredient of NLCs comes from outer space. The electric-blue clouds form when wisps of summertime water vapor rise up from Earth and wrap themselves around meteor smoke in the upper atmosphere. For the past few nights, NLCs have been shimmering brightly over much of Europe. Mark Savage photographed this apparition on July 6th from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England:

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Awesome planetary alignment as seen from the Chilean sky.

PLANETS ALIGN IN THE EVENING SKY: Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, the Moon, Mars and Saturn--they're all aligned in the evening sky this week. Photographer Yuri Beletsky could only fit four of them in this Aug. 6th shot overlooking Santiago, Chile:

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This enchanting photo was taken by Marcy Janke, yesterday, on August 7, 2016 from Windsor Canada

It is an ice crystal halo also called a circumhorizon arc.

Rainbows will bend down toward the earth, whereas circumhorizon arcs bend upward.

khomes
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Matthewites- Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by khomes »

Maria wrote:

And now a coppery minimoon moon.

Some people say you cannot tell the difference between a supermoon and a mini-Moon. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters, and without a reference, one full Moon looks much the same as any other.

Dyer plans to find out: "With luck," he says, "7 lunations from now I will shoot the Sept 27th perigee supermoon with the same optical setup to create a big & little Moon comparison pair."

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2015

At first I thought it was the sun! Super cool!

I was baptised into the Genuine Orthodox Church with the name Matthew on March 1 2016

"Preserve my children: patience, compassion, wisdom, gentleness, humility, silence, fasting, prayer. Prayer gives humility, modesty, and obedience. He who keeps these reasons that lead to the imitation of Christ, provides for the salvation of his immortal soul; he who despises them, despises his own salvation."
- St. Matthew the New Confessor