Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Post by Maria »

Unusual pink and white auroras over Alaska ... and a spotless sun for three days now going on four.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

This gorgeous display must have been Heaven's present to viewers for St Herman of Alaska's Feast Day !

I see some green color too.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

01-01-2017 Glory of Heavens_psc_strip.jpg
01-01-2017 Glory of Heavens_psc_strip.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 7445 times

Who needs man-made fire works displays when you can see the Glory of God in the Heavens:

POLAR STRATOSPHERIC CLOUDS: Earth's stratosphere is normally free of clouds. Not this weekend, though. Observers around the Arctic Circle are reporting an outbreak of brilliantly-colored icy clouds in the typically dry and transparent layer of our planet's atmosphere. Eric Fokke photographed the display on New Years Eve from the Lofoten Islands of Norway:

These icy clouds are a sign of very cold temperatures. For ice crystals to form in the arid stratosphere, temperatures must drop to around -85º C. High-altitude sunlight shining through tiny ice particles 10µm across produce the characteristic bright iridescent colors. ...

These clouds really are as amazing as they look in Fokke's photo. They have much more vivid colors than ordinary iridescent clouds, which form closer to Earth in the troposphere. Once seen, a stratospheric cloud is never forgotten.

http://www.spaceweather.com for January 1, 2017

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Cold is cool 8)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Good to see you posting here, Luke.

Here is a God moment that reminds us of the Pillar of Light that was seen by the Tribes of Israel during their 40 year sojourn in the desert.

This is also a sign of global cooling as even a NASA run website proclaims:

Sun pillars are caused by ice in the air. Plate-shaped crystals ice fluttering down from cirrus clouds catch the rays of the setting sun and spread it into a vertical column.

"Watch a leaf or piece of paper flutter and wobble as it falls," says atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley. "Ice crystals in the air wobble, too, and this smears the sun's reflection into a vertical line."

All around the world, the atmosphere is cold enough 5 to 10 km high to produce these ice crystals. That means sun pillars can be seen anywhere. However, the odds of sighting one improve in cold places like Sweden. Residents of the north should be alert for these beautiful pillars as winter unfolds.

Attachments
A God Moment_sunpillar_Jan. 6, 2017.jpg
A God Moment_sunpillar_Jan. 6, 2017.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 7439 times

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Southern Hemisphere Solar Eclipse

Awesome picture ... and the sun was placed just right.

The eclipse was also visible in Brazil. Edson Luiz Duffeck Karlson of São José dos Pinhais, Paraná, saw it a bit differently, though. Instead of watching the event unfold overhead, he set up a simple pinhole projector and used it to cast an image of the crescent sun onto a painting in his home.

"The clouds, in this case, are brushstrokes of oil," he says. "I painted them myself."

see http://www.spaceweather.com

Attachments
Solar Eclipse, Feb. 26, 2016, imposed on a painting using a pinhole.jpg
Solar Eclipse, Feb. 26, 2016, imposed on a painting using a pinhole.jpg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 7385 times

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Asperitas clouds are seen over Harrodsburg, Kentucky, on Tuesday, March 28, 2017. (Facebook/Melissa Hire)

https://weather.com/news/news/asperitas-clouds-kentucky