Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Rare Red Rainbow

Post by Maria »

RED RAINBOW SPOKE: We all know two things about rainbows: 1. They are circular. 2. They are multicolored. Yet on June 5th, Michelle Shenberger of Dover, Pennsylvania, saw a rainbow that was neither. "It was weird," she says. "The rainbow was only red, and mostly horizontal."

Yes, this is a rainbow--a red rainbow spoke.

What made it red? Red was only color available. All of the other colors of the rainbow had been scattered away by air molecules and dust particles in front of the low-hanging sun. Sunset rainbows are often red like this.

Normally, red rainbows form a complete arc. This one, however, was interrupted by clouds. Shadows of clouds near the setting sun stretched across the sky, extinguishing most of the rainbow. Only a single almost-horizontal spoke remained. Weird, indeed.

Source: www.spaceweather.com

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Upside down rainbows and other unusual sights

Post by Maria »

This in from www.spaceweather.com

GREEN FLASH ON THE SUN: For seaside photographers, nothing beats a green flash--that sudden pulse of verdant light at sunset as the sun vanishes beneath the ocean waves. James Young was on a beach in Oregon on July 11th when captured a green flash. But it didn't come from the ocean waves. It came from the top of a cloud:

This is a rare cloud-top green flash, sometimes seen as the sun's rays graze a distant cloud bank. They are not well understood. Ordinary green flashes require a temperature inversion layer near the sea surface. Similar inversions may sometimes occur at the top of marine stratus clouds, giving rise to the type of ragged cloudy flash Young witnessed.

"It was very bright--a beautiful mystery to end the day," he says.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Another "demonic" image of sprites, this time from the Czech Republic.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2018

COMMON' RED SPRITES: In the Czech Republic, photographer Daniel Ščerba has spent much of the summer training his cameras on passing thunderstorms, hoping to catch strange forms of upward-directed lightning. On August 7th he recorded a huge cluster of red sprites ...

Click the link above for the complete article.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

They absolutely DO look diabolical. Like some clingy horrible demon configuration. The color is creepy, too.

The green flash is intriguing. I missed that one when it was posted.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Swedish Aurora seen in the sky on September 11, 17th anniversary of the 911 event.

AURORA ALIEN AND STORM TROOPER: "Yesterday, we had a truly amazing outburst of Northern Lights here in northern Sweden," says Göran Strand. "I did a 180° panorama of the sky to capture the entire display over Handöl. While editing, I tried some different options to present the photo. Suddenly, when I mirrored the photo, I saw something truly out of this world."

Comments: this image was mirrored twice.

Top and bottom are mirror images: You can see the "reflection" of trees and the road at the top of the picture.
Upon closer inspection, the pictures at the top and bottom seem to be different photos.
This is why the top looks like an alien and the bottom looks like a storm trooper.

Both right and left are also mirrored. This is why you see two roads at the bottom, and two roads at the top.
The trees at the bottom are different from the trees at the top. It appears that the trees at the top are closer.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is another photo of the aurora storm taken by Marianne Bergli on September 10, 2018 from Kvaløya, Tromsø , Norway.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

I may have see some noctilucent clouds last night without knowing it. I was taking out trash (seems like every husband on the planet has that job :wink: ) around 9:10 or so last night. I am no cloud expert and was just thinking that I saw some Stratus clouds mixed in with some Cirrus clouds. But this morning I saw a picture from Spaceweather that had a similar texture to what I saw: http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_up ... _id=153988