The Gardening Thread

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by Maria »

Lord have mercy.

The news just keeps getting worse.

I visited my local hardware stores which told me that they no longer sell organic seeds.

Now exchanges may be illegal.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048427_seed_ ... _laws.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/723.html

This has great gardening tips for planting raised garden beds.
It also contains information on the best ways to rotate rows of crops, so called companion plants.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maria, have you had any good fortune in finding Organic seeds this year ?
I have not checked. That was indeed alarming what you wrote above.

About companion planets, I am not sure whether that is the topic exactly at that link, but I read about that in a book on them a few years ago which I found at a library. I tried to plant those plants such as Basil or Monarda near Tomatoes & Onions therefore. Have you tried any of these combinations ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Maria, have you had any good fortune in finding Organic seeds this year ?
I have not checked. That was indeed alarming what you wrote above.

About companion planets, I am not sure whether that is the topic exactly at that link, but I read about that in a book on them a few years ago which I found at a library. I tried to plant those plants such as Basil or Monarda near Tomatoes & Onions therefore. Have you tried any of these combinations ?

I have been reading and wish I were posting more here.
But I have been so absent-minded lately and exhausted.

Anyway, I did find out that Tomatoes and Carrots should be planted together as the tomatoes provide an essential hormone for the carrots. Also onions and chives help reduce the insect burden on Tomatoes, and so do African Marigolds.
However, we have those infamous cottontail bunnies who love to eat the marigolds, so I cannot keep them in my garden.

Most likely, I will have to place some chicken wire screen over the tops of my planters to keep the squirrels, bunnies, and raccoons from invading my space.

The gray parrots, mockingbirds, mourning doves, and crows eat all our mulberries and figs. So, we are feeding God's flocks.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh no, Maria ! What is wrong that you are fatigued and absent-minded ? Though I can't say I am any different...!

Talking about these cheerful subjects [except for the mourning doves, etc.] at least reminds us of the [few] good things around that are really uplifting : working with plants and flowers.

Yes ! I had forgotten that about the Marigolds ! I tried that the one year I read the book I mentioned - but then forgot completely every year after that !
Each year seems to bring more hassles and harassments than the last year during this unpleasant epoch !
So I did not keep up with my determined Companion Planting !

You inspired me to at least make a tiny effort THIS year [before planting season is almost over] and then resolve to do a better job next year, God willing.

OOPS ! I just yesterday threw out my Carrot seeds ! I figured they must be too old by now to use. Carrots are so healthy !
I need more space to plant, though, for a good crop of carrots.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maria,
Hope you are feeling much better! I found some Organic carrot seeds and am treasuring them for future planting years.
It is a great help that you pointed out how such may be threatened in the future [and maybe in some places, already now].
I acted on that tip !

I asked someone in a gardening place once about how long seeds last. Apparently, forever ?
I realized that there are old seeds excavated from ancient civilizations. But of course, are they plantable today ?!
Anyway we can hope that any seeds collected today can be planted for the next 20, 30 or 50 years.
Might as well plan ahead...

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here are some interesting ideas for those who have collected stones, marbles, and pebbles.

http://www.finegardening.com/create-pebble-mosaic