The Gardening Thread

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Gardening Thread

Post by Maria »

Indoor farming - less waste, more produce

http://www.naturalnews.com/046018_indoo ... ction.html

list The future of food production could end up doing away with the growing fields and even the sun. A Japanese plant physiologist has developed an indoor growing system that he says produces lettuce 250 percent faster than traditional farms, requires far less water and generates significantly less produce waste.[/list]

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by Maria »

Raised garden beds - building plans

http://removeandreplace.com/2013/03/13/ ... oject-diy/

In our area, it is a good idea to put down hardward cloth or a fine mess chicken wire to prevent rats from burrowing underneath. They can burrow through a 1/2 inch space.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Using wood chips to plant a garden naturally and with less work ... PLUS see the movie before AUGUST 15.

• You can eliminate expensive soil testing as it is simply unnecessary when you use chips. Most tests are seriously antiquated as they have no measure of the quality of the soil microbes. They are artifacts of an ancient era when farming was thought to be a chemical experiment. Woodchips will normalize whatever soil you have. Paul Gautschi shares his results that someone did for him after using woodchips for decades and most of his nutrient levels were literally 10 times higher than the great levels, and he never added any fertilizers.

Finally, woodchips serve as a great insulation blanket for your soil and moderates the temperatures in the summer and the winter. When you have a foot to two foot blanket of chips over your plants, the soil will be highly unlikely to freeze in the winter and damage your plants. In the hot summer months, it keeps the soil cooler so the roots can work more efficiently with the soil microbes.

For the complete article and the free movie:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... =618391869

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, how helpful ! I recently have some wood chips collected, and didn't know what to do with them, so
spread them out to make a little better of a pathway on some uneven ground.
This would be much more useful. I may be having some more in a short time, so I will be SURE to save
those for future gardens !
Thanks, Maria.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

I've toyed with the idea of growing my own coffee for a while. I was thinking something very fancy, high-quality, and expensive that I could harvest myself and be forever set with the greatest coffee in the Bay Area. Does anyone here have any experience with or advice when it comes to growing coffee? What does it even grow on?

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Coffee ? Terrible for the health, James R !

I guess there must be a reason for the coveted coffee all being imported from Central America, Indonesia, and assumedly similar climates.

I think a Meyer lemon tree would be a better idea for the warm, sunny East Bay, myself ! They are sold around the entire Bay Area, some in the North Bay too. I haven't tried a Meyer lemon tree, but I would love to have one.

What about trying that instead ? Then you can have the healthiest, happiest of fruits, lemons, to flavor every beverage you drink !
[Except coffee...just have to surrender that destructive-to-health habit before you get too much older and damage sets in.
It's probably possible to get away with coffee drinking for some years when young. But it will catch up as you age. Just a warning to a smart teenager ! ]

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Caterpillars - beneficial or pests?

http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban-ga ... llars.aspx

• By Karen Lanier

A caterpillar’s main purpose in life is to eat—and man, they’re good at it! Caterpillars are like teenagers of the garden—not only in appetite capacity, but also because this stage of its lifecycle is temporary. Whether fuzzy, bumpy, spotted or striped, each one is a unique larval form of a moth or butterfly. You might be surprised at the adult it will become.

Identification is key in understanding if a caterpillar is a friend or foe to your vegetable patch. Note that caterpillars have stinging hairs or other irritants, so it’s a good idea to use gloves when handling ones you’re not familiar with.

Here is one picture of a beneficial butterfly that is now threatened by chemical sprays such as RoundUp by Monsanto: