question about newspapers and magazines

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Alexander Kuzmin

question about newspapers and magazines

Post by Alexander Kuzmin »

Dear Friends,

I was a sailor of the ship “Komsomolets Kirgizii”. It sank in Atlantic ocean 200 miles from the coast of the USA (New Jersey). The American Coast guard saved all crew and me among them. In two days the Coast guard men and the crew from the ship was received in White House and President Ronald Reagan shook hands with every sailor.

It was in 1987, in March 14 and in the week after. I was 18 then and it was my first trip as a sailor. Russian newspapers wrote very little about it for political reasons (Soviet government did not allow the Captain to ask help from Americans but he did not listen and he saves all his people). I am very interested in American articles about it. I found only this: http://www.uscg.mil/history/sar/docs/19 ... irgSAR.pdf

I have a request to American brothers and sisters. If you need to go to library please look at newspapers and magazines for March 14-20 1987. I need articles and pictures about this event. I will be very thankful to you.

Alexander

I study English, forgive my mistakes.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: question about newspapers and magazines

Post by Maria »

Would you be able to share a little more of your personal experiences in that rescue?
Also, what happened to that Captain? Is he still alive?

I did read about this rescue and I recall seeing the pictures from the White House.

Wow! I am glad that you were rescued.

Perhaps this began the thaw that led to the destruction of the Iron Curtain.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Alexander Kuzmin

Dear Maria,
Thank you! I will reply later.
Alexander

Priest Antonios
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia

Post by Priest Antonios »

Alexander Kuzmin

Dear Father Antonios,
Thank you very much for the links. I am looking for such texts and especially for texts with pictures. Video is also a good idea, but I do not know how to find video.

Dear Maria,
Soviet administration and Special Services (KGB and others) started to make Captain guilty. He had very many problems and he died in a year or two after the incident. The official reason was heart attack. He wrote in his last letter to his wife: "I am not guilty in anything". And this is true, he was not guilty.

His name was Vladimir Khurashev. He was less than 50 and he was a navy (military) before. He was a very good man. This is his picture in White House, he is in the middle of picture not in the form, he speaks with a pilot in a form.
I will write more later.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Alexander Kuzmin wrote:

Dear Father Antonios,
Thank you very much for the links. I am looking for such texts and especially for texts with pictures. Video is also a good idea, but I do not know how to find video.

Dear Maria,
Soviet administration and Special Services (KGB and others) started to make Captain guilty. He had very many problems and he died in a year or two after the incident. The official reason was heart attack. He wrote in his last letter to his wife: "I am not guilty in anything". And this is true, he was not guilty.

His name was Vladimir Khurashev. He was less than 50 and he was a navy (military) before. He was a very good man. This is his picture in White House, he is in the middle of picture not in the form, he speaks with a pilot in a form.
I will write more later.

May his memory be eternal.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Alexander Kuzmin

When I was sent to this ship, I was looking for it in the port. And I saw some old and rusty side. I thought: "Some poor guys will have to go on this ship". And then I realised that is was "Komsomolets Kirgizii" that I was looking for, my ship.
It was really in a bad form after the so-called renovation. We left a week later the plan because every day of that week we needed to fix some problems. Other problems were fixed later on the way (and we also painted the upper part on the way, so it looks clean on photos). This ship was a real sea-worker.

Before the ship left the port, one sailor saw some strange dream, he told it to me the same day. I know that Christians should not believe in dreams, but this story is very strange. He said: "In my dream I saw myself going up in the air, as if I am taken up by some crane. I see our ship below me, the water is very deep. The ship slowly turns to the left side and then goes under the water. And it is very deep and soon you can see only the lights deep under the water. The lights slowly dissolved in the depth".

And this is exactly what happened. Sips usually sink with light on, and they keep on lighting for some period of time under the water.

When it was time for the ship to leave Halifax (Canada), a terrible storm happened. It was prohibited for all the ships to go out. But Soviet shipping company did not want to pay extra money for ship parking in Halifax port. So they ordered for the ship to go. When we were leaving the port, everyone came to look at the crazy Russians and even television came on helicopters. They were right. At night "Komsomolets Kirgizii" started to sink.

The Soviet rulers ordered not to ask help from Americans. They said: "Russian ship Ulan Bator will come to you tomorrow. Hold on and wait for Russian ship". They did not want to listen that our ship will not hold on till tomorrow. So the Captain did not obey.
(to be continued)