Sewing: Skirts, Shirts, Menswear, Pillow Cases, & Quilts

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Sewing: Skirts, Shirts, Menswear, Pillow Cases, & Quilts

Post by Barbara »

I can see from that description of the ill-fitting ready made shirts how tough it IS for any probably normal man
to wear this mass-produced stuff. I didn't really realize that.

Scoliosis ? Someone among my college associates is now a big expert on that topic. If your husband needs
any help with this, ask me and I'll tell you the doctor's name. There was a video made about him.

Sorry that you got delayed on the gored skirt. I love that style !!!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

This is the pattern I will be using to make a knee-length gored skirt for my mom using a rayon fabric, but not meant for cord:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-11744-misse ... tions.aspx - See #F
This is not the pattern that I purchased, but it is an up to date version of an older pattern that I had purchased about two years ago (copyright 2006).

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Ah good ! I was going to write that "F" is the only good one. I personally don't like the cheap look of
the extra ruffles and worst of all is the one in the main picture ! Tacky, don't you think ?

Number F is the most classically pleasing to the eye, I quite agree.

But a knee-length skirt for your mother ? Is she not conservative then ?

I sort of think, though, that a wider waistband would look more flattering on women of any age.

Afterthought : I am badly missing having pockets on skirts of mine. Only a few have them.
Also suffering from lack of pockets on my work aprons. What about you ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Ah good ! I was going to write that "F" is the only good one. I personally don't like the cheap look of
the extra ruffles and worst of all is the one in the main picture ! Tacky, don't you think ?

Number F is the most classically pleasing to the eye, I quite agree.

But a knee-length skirt for your mother ? Is she not conservative then ?

I sort of think, though, that a wider waistband would look more flattering on women of any age.

Afterthought : I am badly missing having pockets on skirts of mine. Only a few have them.
Also suffering from lack of pockets on my work aprons. What about you ?

On summer cotton skirts, I do not put pockets because they tend to get caught in the door knob or door jamb.
For autumn and winter, I have made some heavier twill skirts with pockets.

The same with aprons. I do not put pockets in those except for gift aprons.

However, I do put two pockets on my blouses as they are more modest.

I do use a wider waistband to insert the 7/8 to 1 1/4 inch elastic as the 1/2 to 3/4 inch elastic does not last very long.

My mom tends to trip on long skirts, so she has requested ones that are slightly below her kneecap (28 inches long).

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is a super easy way to make a 90-minute quilt (after much practice).

http://www.90minutequilts.com/ - look at the video on the site. There is no need to buy the book if you already know how to quilt.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh ! I never saw Maria's reply ... only 2 years later do I find it !

I like that idea about the pockets on blouses. 2 of them better than 1, I quite agree.
I don't think I have any blouses with pockets. Very difficult to find in ready-made clothes anymore.

I have to say that I always feel I MUST wear a sweater over any blouse to be modest. I always am at a loss
during hot weather, therefore. One solution is wearing a long scarf around the neck.
But my standard one is real wool, from near Kashmir. You can imagine how cooling THAT is in 100 degree weather !
The Pocket Solution to this dilemma we women face is a good thought which all of us can incorporate into our attire to look more appropriate whether out and about in the world, or in Church services.

It's great you are able to sew such versatile outfits, Maria !

I am sure your mother appreciated your custom sewing for her.

I know what you mean about the elastic. Thanks for reminding me that I need to change the elastic in a new skirt.
It's perfect except for the elastic is too tight. I don't care for that stifling feeling around the middle.
I change many elastic waistbands, as they wear out over time with washing.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

And about knobs and pockets not being in harmony, yes, good point.
I have a screen door with a short, sharp, JABBING handle on it which never fails to snag any pocket or seam which may venture within an inch of it. Watch out for those aggressive screen doors : they are worse than a normal door knob by far. It's dismaying how many stitches have been pulled out from my skirts as a result of the predatory behavior of that screen door handle ! There is too tight of an area to negotiate, plus I am always carrying not one but several things and not noticing the screen door handle's proximity - until too late !