Sewing: Skirts, Shirts, Menswear, Pillow Cases, & Quilts

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Sewing: Skirts, Shirts, Menswear, Pillow Cases, & Quilts

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

And about knobs and pockets not being in harmony, yes, good point.
I have a screen door with a short, sharp, JABBING handle on it which never fails to snag any pocket or seam which may venture within an inch of it. Watch out for those aggressive screen doors : they are worse than a normal door knob by far. It's dismaying how many stitches have been pulled out from my skirts as a result of the predatory behavior of that screen door handle ! There is too tight of an area to negotiate, plus I am always carrying not one but several things and not noticing the screen door handle's proximity - until too late !

Beware the pocket jabber!

I had to laugh when reading your response. Would make a good thriller at that theatre.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The value of being able to sew one's own clothes - or having them custom made by a seamstress or tailor - has never been at more of a premium than in today's dangerous online women's garment marketplace.

The reason WHY is highlighted by the Redbook article below, which warns :

"Even the pros aren't immune to the pull of these sites: Consumer and money-saving expert Andrea Woroch says she too fell victim: "I ordered a necklace that took almost three weeks before it arrived at my house and the cost to return ship these items made the return process nearly pointless!"

I had no idea that such scams are going on in the imported clothing industry. Specifically from China and the Shenzhen Economic Zone in the south, near Hong Kong. Neither had i heard of any the fly-by-night companies, but perhaps readers may recognize the names. The article cites examples like these :

"...One reviewer noted, "... Garments were missing hems, sections of fabric were hanging out of seems, sizes were off by a great deal. The garments did not function as clothing on a basic level. Don't even try to return the stuff." [ re "Twinkledeals.com " ]

"I honestly would not even donate these 'clothes' to Goodwill, as they are not only unfashionable, they are not even functional as real clothing," one Redditor wrote. "Paper thin and laughably assembled, their items are the equivalent of something you might win at a roadside carnival." [ re Rosegal.com ]

http://www.redbookmag.com/life/money-ca ... rder-from/

Ha, ha : some of the reviewers write sentences with spelling or grammar "laughably assembled", too ---
but we get the point.

I hope no one has purchased their Pascha or Bright Week finery from such frustrating and shady clothes dealers !

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Even more alarming than the shoddy quality of the garments is this serious threat from the suspect overseas marketers to shoppers in the Western Hemisphere :

"Some even report having their credit card information stolen and used abroad after the purchase."

http://www.redbookmag.com/life/money-ca ... rder-from/

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Does anyone on this forum sew or have a pattern for a cassock?

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

Does anyone on this forum sew or have a pattern for a cassock?

Christos anesti!

Father, bless.

I have seen inexpensive cassock patterns for sale on Etsy for around $10, but they are "Western", however if you knew of someone who sewed they may be able to modify the pattern to meet your needs.

For example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/277795924/ ... ?ref=hp_rv

Also there is this book: http://www.light-n-life.com/making-byza ... ments.html that might contain pattern making instructions for a cassock, but I'm not certain. Perhaps if you contacted Light-n-Life directly they could tell you.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

May the Lord bless you!

I am in need of finding someone who can sew a cassock from a material suitable for the Texas summer, particularly since our church's air conditioning really can't keep up once the temperature gets above 90.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh ! That's too bad, Fr Irineos. I can imagine just how awful that would be. Is it your particular a/c unit ? Or all of them are like that in the Texas heat ?