As the Sun Turns: Solar Minimums and Maximums

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Super M-9.3 Solar Blast

Post by Maria »

We just had a M-9.3 solar flare, but this was part of a triple M solar flare, so this ride may not be over yet.

• SOLAR FLARE! Earth-facing sunspot AR1877 erupted on Oct. 24th at 00:30 UT (Oct. 23rd at 5:30 pm PDT), producing an M9-class solar flare. A flash of extreme UV radiation from the flare ionized Earth's upper atmosphere and created a brief HF radio blackout on the sunlit side of the planet. Stay tuned for updates about this significant event.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2013

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Incoming CMEs

Post by Maria »

Today is October 24. The three solar flares that are earth bound have combined and their magnetic force on earth is now being felt.

The short wave radio bans are mostly dead now. Ham radio operators cannot communicate with each other.

• CHANCE OF STORMS: Earth's magnetic field is about to receive a glancing blow from three [Coronal Mass Ejections] CMEs observed leaving the Sun between Oct. 20th and 22nd. Forecast models suggest that the three clouds merged en route to Earth, and their combined impact could trigger a mild polar geomagnetic storm on Oct. 24-25. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

Maria
Archon

Re: Another M2.9

Post by Maria »

We just had another M2.9 solar flare within the last three hours.

When I tried to make a phone call via cell, the system was down.

Maria
Archon

Re: Huge X2.1 Solar Flare

Post by Maria »

About 40 minutes ago, (15.07 UT) we had an X2.1 flare.

Lord have mercy.

X-FLARE UPDATE: New sunspot AR1882 isn't very big, but it is potent. The active region has already unleashed two strong solar flares today: An X1 at 08:01 UT followed by an X2 at 15:07 UT. There is no reason to think this fusillade will end soon, so stay tuned for more flares. Solar Flare alerts: text, voice.

X2-FLARE BLASTS EARTH'S IONOSPHERE: Electromagnetic radiation from today's X2-class solar flare had a significant effect on Earth's upper atmosphere. As a wave of ionization swept across the dayside of the planet, the normal propagation of shortwave radio signals was scrambled. In Alachua, Florida, electrical engineer Wes Greenman recorded the effects using his own shortwave radio telescope. Click on the frequency-time plot to view an animation:

During the time that terrestrial shortwave transmissions were blacked out, the sun filled in the gap with a loud radio burst of its own. In New Mexico, amateur radio astronomer Thomas Ashcraft recorded the sounds. "This radio burst was a strong one and might be too intense for headphones," cautions Ashcraft.

Maria
Archon

Re: As the Sun Turns: Solar Minimums and Maximums

Post by Maria »

Here is another update: We are in for a series of M- and X-flares

• X-FLARE UPDATE: New sunspot AR1882 isn't very big, but it is potent. The active region has already unleashed two strong solar flares today: An X1 at 08:01 UT followed by an X2 at 15:07 UT. There is no reason to think this fusillade will end soon, so stay tuned for more flares.

http://www.spaceweather.com

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

According to NOAA, tonight and tomorrow, we will have two CMEs (glancing blows from two X flares that erupted last week).
About an hour ago, there was another X1 flare. Stay tuned ....

WEAK IMPACT, MORE TO COME: A CME swept past Earth during the late hours of Oct. 26th, but its impact was weak and did not spark significant geomagnetic activity. Attention now shifts to Oct. 28th when the first of the CMEs from last week's X-flares is expected to deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field. NOAA forecasters estimate a 20% chance of polar geomagnetic storms.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

NOAA has issued several alerts; see the post above for links.

Then there is this advisement from spaceweather dot com, which summarizes the NOAA warnings.

INCOMING CMEs: For the next three days, a series of CMEs will sweep past Earth, delivering glancing blows to our planet's magnetic field. No single impact is expected to be strong, but the combined effect of multiple weak impacts could spark polar geomagnetic storms from Oct. 28th to Oct. 31st. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

Those in the higher latitudes should see some awesome auroras. If you do take a picture of one, please share it with us.