As the Sun Turns: Solar Minimums and Maximums

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: As the Sun Turns: Solar Minimums and Maximums

Post by Maria »

Active Region AR2671 is officially designated as having a Beta configuration.
It appears to be quiet now, but is continually B-flaring and growing rapidly.

Here is a recent video of the volatile new sunspot as it rounded the solar East Limb unleashing several C-class solar flares.
It reminded me of a hissing and spitting cat. Go away kitty.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Active Region 2671 is now classified as a Beta-Gamma-Delta capable of M and X-class solar flares.
If we have any M or X flares that are geo-centered or geo-effective (occurring on the West Limb) and if that flare emits a CME, that could prove to be a serious problem for our power grids which have not been updated due to funds being stolen by employees.

AR2671 will be with us for more than a week, until approximately August 27 or August 28, when it will depart for another 14 days on the far side of the sun.

Note that FEMA is having disaster preparation throughout the USA on August 23 just in case we have such a solar eruption, nuclear explosion, or other such disaster. How convenient! Did they know about this sunspot? Probably.

View this video to see how rapidly AR2671 has been developing over the last 24 hours.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Looks like AR2671 will be joining us for the eclipse. 8)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Wow! What a bumpy ride this is going to be.

FEMA is going to join in with disaster drills, the sky could be shaken by an impulsive M or X-class solar flare that could shake the ionosphere and cause a magnetic crocket that causes the ionosphere to temporarily collapse and expand releasing a lot of heat, and then we have the solar eclipse that could possibly trigger earthquakes across its path. Perhaps the moon will get the X blast.

Man, this is getting graphic. I will stay in LA.

NOTE: The Sun Today, on 8/17/2017, at 0745 UT, showed a strangely decaying AR2671 as a lot of dark cores were missing. However, 15 minutes later at 0800 UT, it had grown back in size to a Beta-Delta-Gamma configuration with most of its dark sunspots visible once again. This is probably why astronomers who view the sun at different time zones will have different results as the sun is constantly changing. From hour to hour, the reported number of sunspots have changed from 32 to 46 with the standard deviation being as high as 10.9, so some stations were reporting sunspot numbers as high as 56.9. Currently, I just checked EISN/SILSO, the sunspot number stands at 40 with a standard deviation at 6.6. Belgium has also reported at 1230 UT an average of 40 for the Estimated International Sunspot Number.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Speaking of that solar eclipse, what a relief that it is over. At least for me. Did anyone see it ?
I hid inside. Perhaps I was feeling danger from THIS type of interpretation :

"John Hays drove up from Bishop, California, for the total eclipse in Salem, Oregon, and said the experience will stay with him forever.

"That silvery ring is so hypnotic and mesmerizing, it does remind you of wizardry or like magic," he said."

http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local ... 16123.html

The age of John Hays is not given. But he sounds like someone part of the Harry ___ter-mania generation. Wizardry ? What does a dramatic solar eclipse have to do with wizards - ?? Evidence of a successful job of brainwashing by the usual forces.

Immeasurably more pleasant reportage came from St Martin the Merciful Orthodox Church in Corvallis, Oregon in the form of a spectacular photo. This Church is due to be consecrated exactly 2 months after the eclipse. I take this dazzling image as a heavenly show of blessing on the parish's choice of patron Saint, St Martin of Tours. This French city is pronounced 'Tour', with the 's' silent.
I think this was the first Orthodox parish in North America - perhaps anywhere in the world with the possible exception of France - to be named for the famous miracleworker and founder of French monasticism, who reposed in 397. Notably, like the tradition of Russian Orthodox Bishops many centuries later, St Martin, Bishop of Tours, paid a pastoral visit once a year to each of the parishes he had established throughout the land.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

We live in the totality zone. It was spectacular, but we know that it is just a foretaste of what the Lord will have in the future.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, you saw it, Luke ? Sounds like it was incredible. Is this picture what you saw too ? I expected another configuration, but I was not paying much attention to the entire phenomenon.

Isn't it interesting that the timing was between the Feasts of Holy Transfiguration and the Dormition of the Mother of God ?