How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

I wonder whether anybody may be able to help.

What is the correct form of written address for a Benedictine monk? I'm thinking of both the address on an envelope and the salutation at the beginning of a letter.

Many thanks.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Anybody?

There's some correspondence I need to send fairly soon and I don't wish to appear rude to the recipient. Many thanks.

Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse
Jr Member

Post by Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse »

Michael Astley wrote:

Anybody?

There's some correspondence I need to send fairly soon and I don't wish to appear rude to the recipient. Many thanks.

If a Priest Monk; Reverent Father N.
If under vows; Brother N.

AFAIK
In Him
SB

"The Synod of Metropolitan Cyprian adheres wholly to the exact same ecclesiological and dogmatic principles as our Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia,"

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Thank you so much.

What would this be on the Envelope? I imagine that Dom or O.S.B. would feature somewhere. Would it make a difference if he were the Abbot?

Ta!

Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse
Jr Member

Post by Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse »

Michael Astley wrote:

Thank you so much.

What would this be on the Envelope? I imagine that Dom or O.S.B. would feature somewhere. Would it make a difference if he were the Abbot?

Ta!

Venturing into unknown waters...

I would imagine Rv Fr Dom N, Abbot of O Monastery...

This is speculation on my part, trying this I can't imagine a monk (even a Latin one !) getting upset over titles...

In Him
SB

"The Synod of Metropolitan Cyprian adheres wholly to the exact same ecclesiological and dogmatic principles as our Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia,"

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

I got there in the end.

Apparently, Benedictine Abbots take the title of Right Reverend, and so I addressed the envelope to The Right Reverend Dom John (Smith) O.S.B., (John Smith not being his real name, of course), and the salutation was simply, Dear Father Abbot.

It's too late to fret now as it has been posted.

Thanks for your help, still. :)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?

Post by Maria »

How should members of True Orthodoxy address the Roman Catholic Bishop of Rome?

Some members here have been having difficulty calling him "Pope Francis."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.