Orth. Woman Considers Holy vs Sinful Appreciation of Beauty

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Orth. Woman Considers Holy vs Sinful Appreciation of Beauty

Post by Matthew »

An Orthodox Woman Considers the differences between a Holy vs a Sinful Appreciation of Beauty

Is beauty always beautiful? Reflecting on a line from a Dostoevsky novel, Amelia illustrates the difference between a holy and sinful appreciation of beauty.

Beauty will save the world.
— Fyodor M. Dostoevsky

People say that beauty's only skin deep. Is this true, or can beauty really save the world?

http://www.orthodoxwriter.com/2008/09/b ... itual.html

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Orth. Woman Considers Holy vs Sinful Appreciation of Bea

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

An Orthodox Woman Considers the differences between a Holy vs a Sinful Appreciation of Beauty

Is beauty always beautiful? Reflecting on a line from a Dostoevsky novel, Amelia illustrates the difference between a holy and sinful appreciation of beauty.

Beauty will save the world.
— Fyodor M. Dostoevsky

People say that beauty's only skin deep. Is this true, or can beauty really save the world?

Great article. Thanks for linking it.

God has created women to be beautiful in order to propagate the human race.
When a woman is beautiful inside (mentally and spiritually) and out (physically), it is a win-win situation.
Such is the Theotokos who was born the most beautiful woman in the world, yet she did not flaunt her beauty, but praised God in her magnificat.

If one were to give thanks to God for the beautiful world and all the creatures in it, this is very appropriate and holy. If, however, one were not to offer God thanks, but would dare despise God for not being perfectly made, then this is disordered and sinful thinking.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

If one were to give thanks to God for the beautiful world and all the creatures in it, this is very appropriate and holy. If, however, one were not to offer God thanks, but would dare despise God for not being perfectly made, then this is disordered and sinful thinking.

Yes, great point, Maria. We need to be thankful for however it pleased God to fashion us. This is really an important part of being a worshipper of God as the divine artist and creator of all.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

I like the writer's conclusion which encourages us to focus on God, not ourselves:

• If we strive for perfection in gyms, or spas, or tanning salons, or clothing stores, or at the makeup counter, we'll never reach it. But if we strive for it in holiness, the true measure of perfection, it will show: Perfect in beauty, God shines forth (Psalm 50:2, KJV). When we live a holy life, we welcome God, the true meaning of Beauty, inside of us. His holy presence in the heart is the only thing that makes anyone truly beautiful.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

This is something I kind of have trouble understanding. None of this existential poetic stuff like "beauty" makes much sense to me. I tend to see everything through Scholastic eyes and a rationalist western mind--so abstract concepts like "beauty" are something I have trouble understanding. That, combined with my spiritual problems, makes it hard for me. I don't get how I can appreciate a woman's beauty without resorting to lustfulness.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

JamesR wrote:

This is something I kind of have trouble understanding. None of this existential poetic stuff like "beauty" makes much sense to me. I tend to see everything through Scholastic eyes and a rationalist western mind--so abstract concepts like "beauty" are something I have trouble understanding. That, combined with my spiritual problems, makes it hard for me. I don't get how I can appreciate a woman's beauty without resorting to lustfulness.

For this reason, it is imperative that we practice strict custody of the senses by carefully guarding our eyes, ears, and the senses of touch, taste, and smell. It is very important to guard our fingers and that computer mouse while surfing the net. If at any times our thoughts are not of God, then we need to fall on our faces, return to Christ with tears, repent, and then get up and praise God again and again. It is only by getting up and continuing the struggle that we shall win the crown. As soon as we start blaming others, making excuses, and struggling less, then we are giving into the devil.

I am praying for you. Do not give up.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

The same woman wrote this, which I think might be useful for you, James:

http://www.orthodoxwriter.com/2012/03/r ... s-god.html