Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Post by Barbara »

Good reminder, Icxypion, of that timeless Truth about Humility !
It is the most show-offy who always have a high quotient of demonic traits and behaviors !
I always think of Elder Joseph of Optina as a memorable example of this humility.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Post by Matthew »

I love the Optina Elders. Their lives are such a wealth of encouragement!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Oh, and Elder Leonid of Optina is one of my favourites.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Ah ! I had planned to post on that day of Elder Leonid's repose a reminder that the brethren of Optina
under the direction of Abbot Moses would serve pancakes.

I was going to mention this in case anyone here felt like eating pancakes Oct 23 - !
I would have fixed them, but had no kitchen operating [still don't !]

I really like Elder Leonid, too. What persecution they ALL suffered, it's breathtaking, from the ordinary
monastics who weren't elders.

I was just looking a few minutes ago before my Thanksgiving feta cheese meal at the Elder Sebastian book.
Looks interesting, too. That's the only one of the series that I had not yet read. So I will start - maybe
before "salt of the earth", joasia's suggestion, because this looks compelling.
The Elder was in Kazakhstan, which is of especial interest to me.

He looks a little like one of the Rocor hierarchs, too. I can't think which.

Have you read that volume, Icxypion?

It's truly amazing what these remarkable figures went through. So it does give us encouragement to
keep at the grind, which is certainly easier than what they had to endure at that hour.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I haven't read that one. I want to get all the books on the Optina Elders though. It will be a great blessing no doubt.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

It's way better than I expected !
Something had kept me from buying it or reading it all these years.
I always SAW it but never felt motivated to actually go through the book. I am sure
it's because he was rewarded by "patriarch" alexei I who really wanted to meet him,
but the Elder refused giving reasons of not wishing to travel to Moscow by plane.
However, it's still the MP he was having to suffer through, so those little parts of the volume
are repellent to someone with True Orthodox and anti-Communist ideas.

But Elder Sebastian DID stand up against the Bolsheviks and was sent to Karaganda region
for 7 years. So it's not like he was a patsy !

I am enjoyed the book more and more as I read.

So i recommend it but with the caveat about intrusion of MP stuff around the fringes.
The Elder himself is a very appealing figure: a sympathetic character.

When his spiritual children demanded to return to European Russia at the end of WW II,
he said NO! It's not God's Will for US ! We MUST remain HERE, where we have our mission".

Sure enough conditions were way better out there than European Russia, anyway, plus
there was no church set up. So the Elder got a Church community going.
Of course they would have been commemorating MP figures.

But not everyone could leave Russia, I guess, so they managed the best they could to
keep their heads above the Communist waters.

So maybe this is not the first one of the series to read, but I recommend including it as well
as the more famous accounts of the stellar lineage of Elders.

What did you like about Elder Leonid, Icxypion ? If you remember offhand - sometimes
things fade over time.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

It has been years since I read his life, but in general it is the long faithful struggle and the peaceful and grace-filled manner of his departure from this world that I find so moving.